Pickem Contest Week -1 | Syracusefan.com

Pickem Contest Week -1

DyFsk2bWsAAVFvU.jpg

For those interested in doing the contest again post your 3 picks here and keep track of your record as we move forward each week ( don't make me have OrangeExtreme audit you!). Outoftownie has again generously offered to supply an SU related prize to the winner. As the defending champ I say good luck and lets get it on!

Picks
Maryland -4
Mercer +7
Rutty -6.5

I mean, I want to be in but someone needs to explain the +/- system to me, and the rest of those numbers off the chart.

I mean, I want to be in but someone needs to explain the +/- system to me, and the rest of those numbers off the chart.

Thats the money line and over under, were simply going off the spread line. For example Lehigh is a 9.5 pt favorite over NJIT.

Thats the money line and over under, were simply going off the spread line. For example Lehigh is a 9.5 pt favorite over NJIT.

Okay... so if you pick the underdog (for example, you picked Mercer +7), you are saying they will either win or lose by less than 7?

And if you pick the favorite, Rutgers +6.5, you are saying Rutgers will win by 7 or more?

Now your MD pick (-4)... you are saying they win by 5 or more? What happens if they win a 10-6 game?

Sorry, I’ve never been into Vegas lines.

Okay... so if you pick the underdog (for example, you picked Mercer +7), you are saying they will either win or lose by less than 7?

And if you pick the favorite, Rutgers +6.5, you are saying Rutgers will win by 7 or more?

Now your MD pick (-4)... you are saying they win by 5 or more? What happens if they win a 10-6 game?

Sorry, I’ve never been into Vegas lines.

Correct, by taking Mercer I am saying they are going to lose by less then 7. Any score where they lose by less then 7 or even win outright is a win for me.

For Maryland they need to win by 5 or more. If they win by 4 its a push. In some places a "push" can mean a tie or a loss. For our purposes its considered a loss.

For Rutgers they need to win by 7 goals or more as you noted.

I went with Maryland, Duke, and Penn State on the other thread.

Carolina -7
‘Nova +3.5
Duke -7

Last edited by a moderator:
Nova +3.5
Ohio St -5.5
Furman +7 (Duke always seems to start the year out slow)

Carolina +7
‘Nova -3.5
Duke +7
Your +/- are reversed.

For example, if Duke is favored by 7, you need to subtract (-) 7 from their final score to see who the winner against the spread is. Conversely, if you're picking Nova who is a 3.5 underdog, you add (+) 3.5 to their final score to see who won against the spread.

So your picks should look like this:

Carolina -7
‘Nova +3.5
Duke -7

Let me know if you want me to change your post if you can't.

And don't worry about it - I had to have this explained to me numerous times. The only 'betting' I do is this thread and Super Bowl squares. :)

Your +/- are reversed.

For example, if Duke is favored by 7, you need to subtract (-) 7 from their final score to see who the winner against the spread is. Conversely, if you're picking Nova who is a 3.5 underdog, you add (+) 3.5 to their final score to see who won against the spread.

So your picks should look like this:

Carolina -7
‘Nova +3.5
Duke -7

Let me know if you want me to change your post if you can't.

And don't worry about it - I had to have this explained to me numerous times. The only 'betting' I do is this thread and Super Bowl squares. :)
E35F074F-73CC-4BAA-8CA9-EC5E4B454C63.gif

Edited. This might take me all season to get used to...

For those interested in doing the contest again post your 3 picks here and keep track of your record as we move forward each week ( don't make me have OrangeExtreme audit you!). Outoftownie has again generously offered to supply an SU related prize to the winner. As the defending champ I say good luck and lets get it on!

You eliminating the restriction on picking SU games?

Seems like it was unpopular last season.

Vermont at Utah is on one of the Pac12 Channels at 6 PM if anyone cares (and if anyone pays for the Pac12 Network).

Don't bother trying to watch the Pac-12 stream of Utah-Vermont. You get five free minutes. Anyone know where you can see the game for free?

Villanova (+3.5)
Mercer (+7)
Rutgers (-6.5)

I'm a newb at this; please advise if I've screwed it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom