Pickett - fake slide | Syracusefan.com

Pickett - fake slide

Finwad32

Hall of Fame
I think this is really interesting. Last night I think it happened too fast for the refs to react. But, I believe the refs got it wrong.

The way I’ve always interpreted the rule, and the way NCAA refs explained it to us, was that the ball is dead when the quarterback begins the sliding process. So dead ball, not where the knee, elbow, ball touches, but when the QB starts that motion.

IMO - ball should’ve been brought back to where that started last night. A QB somewhere is going to get decapitated trying to emulate Pickett. And it’s because the defender is left with no choice. The QB will get injured, the defender will get ejected, and it is something that can be cleaned up before it ever starts.

I think this is really interesting. Last night I think it happened too fast for the refs to react. But, I believe the refs got it wrong.

The way I’ve always interpreted the rule, and the way NCAA refs explained it to us, was that the ball is dead when the quarterback begins the sliding process. So dead ball, not where the knee, elbow, ball touches, but when the QB starts that motion.

IMO - ball should’ve been brought back to where that started last night. A QB somewhere is going to get decapitated trying to emulate Pickett. And it’s because the defender is left with no choice. The QB will get injured, the defender will get ejected, and it is something that can be cleaned up before it ever starts.
im sure it will be addressed before next season

Doing this should result in a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Pickett and the second time he should be ejected.

Trying to weasel around rules that are designed to protect you is pathetic. It puts the defenders in an impossible and unfair situation.

It’s totally reasonable for Clawson to be pissed.

I would just send in a scout team player to decapitate him.

But in all seriousness I believe faking to go out of bounds should fall into the same category. The FSU thing was bush league to and also involved a quarterback.

We talked about it a lot in the wake-Pitt thread

That was my reaction to it live too. I was surprised the announcers didn’t at least address the possibility that he had taken advantage of the situation and possibly brought it back. It was a great improvisational and athletic move on the QBs part, but I can see some kid really getting pasted by trying that.

I think the current rule requires a bend at the waist which is pretty vague. I'm sure it's better defined for next season.

I think the current rule requires a bend at the waist which is pretty vague. I'm sure it's better defined for next season.
Narduzzi’s response after the game as nauseating. Such a tool. Clawson handled it the right way - ncaa needs to revise the rule.

I know it’s not against the current rule but it’s bush league for a qb to do that. Take advantage of a rule designed to protect you.

Defenders are already on pins and needles enough as it is. The idea that they’re supposed to somehow read the QBs mind that he’s about to fake the slide makes zero sense.

It’s very similar to when punt returners sometimes do that thing where they pretend to make a fair catch and then start running.

It’s kind of like acting like your going to step out of bounds so the tackler backs off, then heading up field, heard that happened in a critical moment to some team.

But he didn't slide. Running backs juke and fake out all the time.

Not the same thing Bill. And if you think it should be, fine, but that’s not the rule. And someone will get hurt because of it.
Absolutely not the same thing.

The ref they spoke to mid game said it should have been brought back to where he started his slide. He said that once the hips drop to start the slide the ball is dead. He also said this is will be discussed in depth likely this off-season. Additionally he said Pickett clearly took advantage of the rule in a bad way.

yup. refs blew it. play is over when he starts his slide.. it also is marked at that point.. the issue is what do they consider starting the slide.. it almost always marked where he is when his knee touches the ground

That was my reaction to it live too. I was surprised the announcers didn’t at least address the possibility that he had taken advantage of the situation and possibly brought it back. It was a great improvisational and athletic move on the QBs part, but I can see some kid really getting pasted by trying that.
They (the announcers) must have gotten a lot of negative feedback because in the second half they brought it up and were much more critical.

Doing this should result in a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Pickett and the second time he should be ejected.

Trying to weasel around rules that are designed to protect you is pathetic. It puts the defenders in an impossible and unfair situation.

It’s totally reasonable for Clawson to be pissed.
There is a 15 yard penalty for it. Sounds like 'unsportsmanlike conduct' to me.

I believe it is an penalty if you fake a slide and continue running

Should have been called

It's picketts fault when some other QB dies in the field. I hate the slide rule. When it goes wrong it's horrific

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom