Players opting out of the coming season

maxxyz

Relative of Nick’s
Yeah, this was inevitable regardless of Covid.
How so? He’s quoted as saying he is uncomfortable with playing due to the pandemic.

texascpa

Living Legend
How so? He’s quoted as saying he is uncomfortable with playing due to the pandemic.
I think it's an extension of draft-able players not playing in bowl games or sitting out games when their teams are no longer eligible for bowls or championships. I guess it may not be the reason in this case, but I can see it eventually.

721Comstock

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Rebounder
This is going to be an option taken up by more players in my opinion and helps us in that we don't have any big time draft guys.
Um - Andre Cisco projected potential 1st round draft pick.

What if he, Trill & Iffy all decide they don’t want to risk playing this year?

Ozzie0075

2nd String
Why would guys that a projected to go high in the draft play? Like what incentive does Trevor Lawrence have? He will be the number 1 pick has and has a title.

Timonen

Starter
Why would guys that a projected to go high in the draft play? Like what incentive does Trevor Lawrence have? He will be the number 1 pick has and has a title.
The guys playing will be the ones who want the education or want to maintain eligibility. Doesn’t make sense for anyone else

longislandcuse

Living Legend
Probably doesn’t help that he saw rival UVA’s Bryce Hall’s draft status tank last year, and Hall is currently on the COVID-IR list meaning he tested for it or was around someone who tested positive for it.

kirbivore

2019 Cali Award (Passing Yards)
Can't wait for the "horrible teammate, NFL GMs will lower his stock for this" brigade to chime in.
Or the scouting jackholes like that dude who eviserated Cam Newtown before the draft

dollarbill44

All American
Like any student manifesto, there are some valid points and asks, but there is a lot that is demanded without serious consideration of the ramifications. For example, they want to cut lavish expenditures, not just on coaches salaries, but also on facilities. The athletes are the only beneficiaries of the lavish facilities (I note that I agree that spending on facilities is way out of control). Also, the demand that the athletes get paid accordingly - the majority of college athletes will make out worse under a scenario where they get paid, but have to pay out of pocket for tuition, room, board, tutoring, etc. Giving athletes the approval authority over health insurance? Good luck. Professional players unions have the benefit of experienced players, lawyers, agents et al to advise them. Most college students are not equipped to deal with the complexities of these decisions.
I wish them well, but if they get what they want, college sports might go away.

Vorony

2nd String
Like any student manifesto, there are some valid points and asks, but there is a lot that is demanded without serious consideration of the ramifications. For example, they want to cut lavish expenditures, not just on coaches salaries, but also on facilities. The athletes are the only beneficiaries of the lavish facilities (I note that I agree that spending on facilities is way out of control). Also, the demand that the athletes get paid accordingly - the majority of college athletes will make out worse under a scenario where they get paid, but have to pay out of pocket for tuition, room, board, tutoring, etc. Giving athletes the approval authority over health insurance? Good luck. Professional players unions have the benefit of experienced players, lawyers, agents et al to advise them. Most college students are not equipped to deal with the complexities of these decisions.
“Cutting back on lavish expenditures like facilities”... basically cutting the things that were used to recruit these same players to their respective schools. Basically echoing your point above about the players really being the only ones who benefit from these expenditures they want to cut back on.

Horn88

2nd String
“Cutting back on lavish expenditures like facilities”... basically cutting the things that were used to recruit these same players to their respective schools. Basically echoing your point above about the players really being the only ones who benefit from these expenditures they want to cut back on.
This has been posted by other people on Twitter but facilities are a smoke and mirrors game. They build out these ridiculous locker rooms and players lounges to a) recruit talent and then b) once the talent is there to keep guys at the facility as many hours a day as possible.

It also is a way for the programs to spend money and keep their non-profit status while throwing out misdirections saying “look at everything we do and sacrifices we make to operate at close to a deficit for our players”.

Do you think players really would rather have a slide, a locker that looks cool when lit up with a bed for them to take a nap, etc. over being able to make money off their NIL and send some home to their family that’s struggling to pay bills and put food on the table?

RandomGuy

All Conference
I think they are pointing out where the $$ is going. (We know facilities are often paid by donors)

In Terms of $$ compared to the NFL model. In the entirely of P5/G5, the average player value would be about $400k/per year for each Schollie player, or NFL contract value of about $200k per. At Texas, it's $1.4 million value, or about $700k per player, per year.

Tuition would need to be deducted, and an allotment for title IX?

Eventually, that will happen. The $$ component today, gives a quick and easy decision to cancel the season.

orangepassion

All American
It would be interesting to see what would happen if the conference calls their bluff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom