Playing 7 | Syracusefan.com

Playing 7

SBU72

All Conference
For those who harp on JB only playing 7, St. Bonaventure's starters all play over 32 minutes, the least being 32.2 min. Only 7 play 10+. (And one of those only played 3 games) And they are A10 champs heading to at least a 10 seed in the NCAAT. So it can be done.
Another tidbit, they are only one of nine teams in the country without a senior on the roster.

For those who harp on JB only playing 7, St. Bonaventure's starters all play over 32 minutes, the least being 32.2 min. Only 7 play 10+. (And one of those only played 3 games) And they are A10 champs heading to at least a 10 seed in the NCAAT. So it can be done.
Another tidbit, they are only one of nine teams in the country without a senior on the roster.
Apples and oranges. They play in a lesser league, less wear and tear. They also are a mid major, less high quality recruits on the bench. Syracuse should have 12 players that are better then there players. Also, there starters and top 7 are getting the job done. They are 14-4, our guys were not getting it done so there was a reason why the bench should have played more. Lastly, when you get into foul trouble, it’s better to have guys ready to come in and play. You don’t want someone that is getting their first run in a big time situation when you need them most.

Apples and oranges. They play in a lesser league, less wear and tear. They also are a mid major, less high quality recruits on the bench. Syracuse should have 12 players that are better then there players. Also, there starters and top 7 are getting the job done. They are 14-4, our guys were not getting it done so there was a reason why the bench should have played more. Lastly, when you get into foul trouble, it’s better to have guys ready to come in and play. You don’t want someone that is getting their first run in a big time situation when you need them most.
I fully expected the "lower league / mid major" reply and its is mostly bull. Besides if they are not as talented playing lesser talented teams shouldn't that put you in the same spot. Your thinking / logic would mean D2, D3 and 2yr schools need only play 5. And the OP isn't just about this year but a response to a yearly complaint tabout JB "only plays 7". He's not the only coach doing it.

Wow, I think that you might be slightly wrong in your assessment of the rigors of basketball. 40 minutes of running, jumping, shooting and defending as a D-1 player, in any conference, is difficult.

Attachments

• 2AAC97D5-4104-4BD4-A119-AC6B9D648C79.jpeg
    2AAC97D5-4104-4BD4-A119-AC6B9D648C79.jpeg
    13.7 KB · Views: 83
Wow, I think that you might be slightly wrong in your assessment of the rigors of basketball. 40 minutes of running, jumping, shooting and defending as a D-1 player, in any conference, is difficult.
I fully expected the "lower league / mid major" reply and its is mostly bull. Besides if they are not as talented playing lesser talented teams shouldn't that put you in the same spot. Your thinking / logic would mean D2, D3 and 2yr schools need only play 5. And the OP isn't just about this year but a response to a yearly complaint tabout JB "only plays 7". He's not the only coach doing it.

1- I never said playing basketball at the D1 level wasn’t difficult. I said it is less difficult at a lower level conference then it is at a high major conference. (Usually the sweet 16 has maybe 2 out of the 16 teams being mid majors or 88% of the sweet 16 is high major teams).

2- a high major team has a better roster, more complete roster 1-12 then a mid major. That’s just a fact. (Gonzaga is no longer a mid major, they are a power program that can recruit against anyone). But if you think this stat is incorrect, I would like to know the last mid major that made a deep run in the tournament that went 10 deep? They don’t usually have those type of players.

3- a high major team would absolutely have a higher rank and better record playing against all mid major conferences compared to a ACC or Big Ten schedule. Just like a mid major would have a lower rank and worse record if they played in the ACC or Big ten. There are just more complete teams/better players. That is why usually the last couple spots go to high major teams.

4- to your point about lower divisions, it’s all dependent on the tier of players. From D-1 to D2 there is a drop in talent. But just like in D1 you have better and worse players all across that spectrum. Not everyone in D2 is the same skill set. You have your better programs and better players just like D1. Like fantasy football rankings. Players are ranked 1-300. But within that ranking system you have tiers of players that are very similar.

Of course playing 7 can work. We've seen it in Syracuse for what, about 20 seasons and virtually every NCAA tournament? It works best and makes sense when you have 7 players that are good and the rest of the team is clearly not ready. Not the case here. We assume they are not ready until our hand is forced, we find out they are more than ready, but we still say they aren't ready.

the Bonnies have three players in the NCAA top 200 mpg.
lofton #3 . welch #80. osunniyi #130.
CUSE has 2 : buddy #38. marek #67.

of those players bonnies average mean is 71. cuse is 53.
in their divisions. bonnies have 5 players in the top 25. cuse has 4.
last couple games JB has been fiddling with some sort of rotation which dropped his numbers a bit but i expect that will vanish in the tourneys. gonna be more IRONMAN ball again .

Last edited:
Of course playing 7 can work. We've seen it in Syracuse for what, about 20 seasons and virtually every NCAA tournament? It works best and makes sense when you have 7 players that are good and the rest of the team is clearly not ready. Not the case here. We assume they are not ready until our hand is forced, we find out they are more than ready, but we still say they aren't ready.
Oh I agree but really wanted to poke a stick at those who say "nobody else does" or "it can't work". I did not think it was a good year for SU to go 7 deep, but then started to think it's because some still have had to learn to play zone by refex.

for the right mix of players a 7 man rotation can be perfect.

you could even win a national championship with one.

your post is that it is possible?

yeah...so...was anyone saying it wasnt?

the problem is when the performance of the team doesnt dictate how the coach uses the roster/lineup/divides playing time...and when he predetermines rotations and playing time regardless of what happens on the court.

JB has gotten very rigid and formulaic over recent seasons...less flexible and less adjustments made to situation and roster. he uses the same formula - evidence-be-damned. which is why people complain about him so much.

the problem people have isnt that he plays a short rotation (for the most part)its that the play of the team doesnt warrant one - especially this year...many posters wanted a deep rotation and recent results have indicated that they were probably right.

for the right mix of players a 7 man rotation can be perfect.

you could even win a national championship with one.

your post is that it is possible?

yeah...so...was anyone saying it wasnt?

the problem is when the performance of the team doesnt dictate how the coach uses the roster/lineup/divides playing time...and when he predetermines rotations and playing time regardless of what happens on the court.

JB has gotten very rigid and formulaic over recent seasons...less flexible and less adjustments made to situation and roster. he uses the same formula - evidence-be-damned. which is why people complain about him so much.

the problem people have isnt that he plays a short rotation (for the most part)its that the play of the team doesnt warrant one - especially this year...many posters wanted a deep rotation and recent results have indicated that they were probably right.
I completely agree with what you say. IMO, you want to shorten your bench in the tournament or conference tournament that is one thing. Play your best when it matters the most (this team wouldnt necessarily qualify as that because I don’t think there is a top 7. It needs more players involved that provide more IMO). But during the season; I think there should always be a deeper bench to develop players and see who can provide a spark. I’m thinking josh pace on that championship team or kris iospeh when he was younger. They were prepared during the season so they were ready when called upon. Josh pace went from not getting any time to become an integral part of the championship run.

Bottom line, I think you should play 9-10 during the season and then when you get to must wins, That’s when you shorten the bench. The season is meant to prepare you for the tournament. It’s not like football where you have to finish top 4 to be in the championship. You just have to get a spot in the tournament.

If your going to only play 7 then 6th and 7th men should be game-changers. Like 6th men.
Our 8th man has far more game-changing potential than our 7th. He also changes 3 positions. Our backup guard only changes his own, but makes others around him better. Still, our 7th man is a real solid 8-12 minute role player. imo.

Last edited:
i've made this analogy before. if you tell me to run my best lap and time me it's gonna be quicker than telling me to run a mile and check lap times. it's called pacing . the time goes down never up.
playing full 40 means you're pacing. you ain't going full speed. and that's why smart coaches sub.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom