Please tell me how Gilbert runs the ball at the 9 with 45 sec left | Syracusefan.com

Please tell me how Gilbert runs the ball at the 9 with 45 sec left

SuRaider307

2nd String
I mean if you do that with no time outs... you have to know what you are running next play period.. and just as important... once you have no clue and now are not getting the next play in on time... you have just put more stress on the whole offense... and have created chaos on 2nd down at the nine with 30 seconds left... it just puts our players in a disadvantage.. and i can see why the players had mental mistakes.. you do not create stress in that situation... it amplifies into ridiculous chaos.. which is what we saw.. yeh and Rex.. you just cannot play that poorly there... but .. part of me just thinks we are unprepared a ton of times this year

Last edited:
Honestly running on 1st isn't terrible if you want to try to run down the clock so NC St has no chance after to win it.

The problem is the lack of planning after that run and the fact our offense is so bad we need every chance possible to score.

Honestly I think we forgot about that run play because it was so random and they called a timeout. I truly think Rex forgot it even happened.

I don't have a major issue with that call. There was still plenty of time from the 9. The problem was Rex channeling Troy Nunes on 3rd down and having his brain fall out of his skull on the tackle. Really wish Dino hadn't blown 2 TOs earlier.

They were dropping 8 into the end zone, a decent run might have had a chance to score, or get close enough for them to play 2nd down honestly.
Its not about the call.. its about not having a clue what play you call next.. standard OC stuff.. You have a plan for inside the 5 or outside the 5 there... what you dont do... is not have a plan and do not get your next play in on time..and get barely saved by the other team calling a TO

Dino actually said in the post game presser "This is what we practice". Lord does that tell a lot. What a ish show

They probably do. But no one really pays attention because they never expect to be in that moment.

I mean if you do that with no time outs... you have to know what you are running next play period.. and just as important... once you have no clue and now are not getting the next play in on time... you have just put more stress on the whole offense... and have created chaos on 2nd down at the nine with 30 seconds left... it just puts are players in a disadvantage.. and i can see why the players had mental mistakes.. you do not create stress in that situation... it amplifies into ridiculous chaos.. which is what we saw.. yeh and Rex.. you just cannot play that poorly there... but .. part of me just thinks we are unprepared a ton of times this year
He was setting up a manageable fifth down

I mean if you do that with no time outs... you have to know what you are running next play period.. and just as important... once you have no clue and now are not getting the next play in on time... you have just put more stress on the whole offense... and have created chaos on 2nd down at the nine with 30 seconds left... it just puts are players in a disadvantage.. and i can see why the players had mental mistakes.. you do not create stress in that situation... it amplifies into ridiculous chaos.. which is what we saw.. yeh and Rex.. you just cannot play that poorly there... but .. part of me just thinks we are unprepared a ton of times this year

Very low percentage chance SU gets a td there, bad in the close redzone, compressed field,try to pop a run on first is t the worst idea

3rd was the death blow, you can’t scramble forever AND take a deep sack

Very low percentage chance SU gets a td there, bad in the close redzone, compressed field,try to pop a run on first is t the worst idea

3rd was the death blow, you can’t scramble forever AND take a deep sack
It would've taken them 8 downs to run the ball in from the 8 yard line. maybe they thought they had 8 downs

I dont think the call was that bad. If we run it down to say the two, it gives us a few options with plenty of time.

I mean - I hate to single out a kid, but Rex not only screwed the pooch, but he also let the neighbors watch for free.

I didn’t mind the run either, but the high snap doomed the play.

We can't run the ball. Is one less play to try to score
There was zero reason to believe that we could run the ball effectively there (maybe that was the reason?). But, I agree with you - take all your shots into the end zone. Especially with no TOs left. If you do run the ball on 1st, you should clock the ball on 2nd to stop the clock, get a call in from the sideline with time to get players lined up and read the D. NCST gifted them a TO in that spot.

Normally I wouldn’t have minded the run but we ran for 3 yes 3 yards for the game. We couldn’t run the ball the whole game so what makes anyone think we can there?
Gil and Rex's big adventure two plays later cost them twenty but your point is still right

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom