Point guard next year | Syracusefan.com

Point guard next year

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
Turning the page on the Frank Howard PG experiment, which obviously didn’t work out. I’m looking forward to a fresh start at point guard next year. I’d be a bit shocked if Buddy doesn’t start at the two. That leaves a pretty interesting competition at PG for next year:

Jalen - rough freshman year. Can he rebound to win the job?

Howard Washington - not highly recruited and limited athletic ability. Does he shake off the rust after nearly two years without playing to win the job?

Goodine - seems like he committed so long ago that’s he’s been largely forgotten. Listed as a SG. Does he have the ability to convert to point?

JG3 - a “score first” combo guard. Does if have the handle to run the point in the ACC? He’s quarterback of a state champion football team, so one could think he could run the point. He’s got a fighter’s toughness, which is always good for a PG.

Who ya got?

Carey and Buddy start. Goodine and Girard off the bench. Unfortunately none of those can play at the bottom of the zone.

By ACC play I’m sure JB will only play 3 guards

Was Carey even dressed for this game? I have a feeling that he has gotten Kaleb Josephed and will be transferring in the Summer.

Was Carey even dressed for this game? I have a feeling that he has gotten Kaleb Josephed and will be transferring in the Summer.
Yes, he was dressed and on the bench

You hear rumors he’s both happy and unhappy.

Fact is Frank and Tyus will be gone and Carey will get the first shot to start at PG next year

I’d be shocked if he transferred because then he’d have to sit out another year

You hear rumors he’s both happy and unhappy.

Fact is Frank and Tyus will be gone and Carey will get the first shot to start at PG next year

I’d be shocked if he transferred because then he’d have to sit out another year

It seems like he'd be handed the keys next year and should therefore not be thinking about transferring, but I also would definitely not be surprised if he did. He's been totally blacklisted this year, even with absolutely pathetic PG play in front of him. I know that wouldn't make me happy, so I can't imagine him being all that happy about it either.

It seems like he'd be handed the keys next year and should therefore not be thinking about transferring, but I also would definitely not be surprised if he did. He's been totally blacklisted this year, even with absolutely pathetic PG play in front of him. I know that wouldn't make me happy, so I can't imagine him being all that happy about it either.
It happened to Frank, Dion, MCW, etc.

He should be frustrated he’s a competitor and wants to play. But I can’t imsgine knowing that Tyus and Frank will both be gone and taking into account you’d have to sit out a year if you leave...

buddy is a good shooter. but that's about all he brings.

Buddy is a solid passer when given the opportunity. He also helps the movement on our offense so much more than when Frank is in there pounding the ball at the top of the key for 20 seconds a possession.

Also, if all Buddy brings is shooting, then that is a skill that this team desperately needs, and one that is highly coveted in college and pro basketball these days. He's pretty much the only guy on this team right now that you could say is exceptional at a particular skill.

Carey will start but JB will have a very short leash on him and pull him out every missed assignment on defense and every dumb turnover. Brycen will be the replacement.

tyus is a shooting guard. a little handle and defense is required. i find buddy a little slow of foot.

Turning the page on the Frank Howard PG experiment, which obviously didn’t work out. I’m looking forward to a fresh start at point guard next year. I’d be a bit shocked if Buddy doesn’t start at the two. That leaves a pretty interesting competition at PG for next year:

Jalen - rough freshman year. Can he rebound to win the job?

Howard Washington - not highly recruited and limited athletic ability. Does he shake off the rust after nearly two years without playing to win the job?

Goodine - seems like he committed so long ago that’s he’s been largely forgotten. Listed as a SG. Does he have the ability to convert to point?

JG3 - a “score first” combo guard. Does if have the handle to run the point in the ACC? He’s quarterback of a state champion football team, so one could think he could run the point. He’s got a fighter’s toughness, which is always good for a PG.

Who ya got?
Jalen Carey

Carey will start but JB will have a very short leash on him and pull him out every missed assignment on defense and every dumb turnover. Brycen will be the replacement.
If that is the case than Carey should transfer now. This is the worst aspect of JB's coaching IMO. I think Carey was totally misused this year. He should have received a steady diet of 10-12 minutes. If I hear one more "Carey will be handed the keys next year" Im going to scream. Lots of people point to MCW but I thought he was totally misused his freshmen year also. At most programs Top 100 recruit Freshmen rarely sit the bench anymore unless they get hurt.

If that is the case than Carey should transfer now. This is the worst aspect of JB's coaching IMO. I think Carey was totally misused this year. He should have received a steady diet of 10-12 minutes. If I hear one more "Carey will be handed the keys next year" Im going to scream. Lots of people point to MCW but I thought he was totally misused his freshmen year also. At most programs Top 100 recruit Freshmen rarely sit the bench anymore unless they get hurt.
You just refuted your own argument.

Carey was misused this year. MCW was misused his freshman year.

MCW had a stellar year (12 PPG, 7.3 A, 2.7 St, 5 RB) in his soph year, but Carey should transfer?

Buddy’s lack of athleticism and wuickness really hurt him. He struggles getting by anyone off the bounce and can be a major liability defensively when opposing guards drive or move the ball well. If he were taller or could somehow improve his quickness, he would be a far more well-rounded player. His ceiling is limited though.

I can’t see us playing Howard Washington and Buddy together. We’d be in so much trouble defensively.

Buddy’s lack of athleticism and wuickness really hurt him. He struggles getting by anyone off the bounce and can be a major liability defensively when opposing guards drive or move the ball well. If he were taller or could somehow improve his quickness, he would be a far more well-rounded player. His ceiling is limited though.

I can’t see us playing Howard Washington and Buddy together. We’d be in so much trouble defensively.

We’ve gone after athletes for years and they can’t shoot into the ocean from 3. Battle included. MCW before him. It’s part of the reason we’re in this mess to begin with.

Complaining about a freshman averaging 8ppg in conference play is a little weird.
In fact his defensive metrics have him defending better than Battle this year and on par with Howard

Getting guys who can actually put the ball in the hoop from 25 feet is a breath of fresh air considering we’ve been seeing it against us for 10 years and is exactly how Villanova won their titles.

The thing I would really like to see us use next year are more 3-guard lineups - putting multiple guys who can shoot it together on the court. For example, I’m thinking Carey/Goodine, Buddy and Girard - with maybe Hughes and Marek rounding out the 5 on the floor. Or Girard, Buddy and Hughes together with Guerrier/Braswell and Marek. I know that we would suffer on the defensive end and likely lose the rebounding battle with these lineups... but we seem to be getting our behinds handed to us on the boards, anyway these days (when we’re basically sacrificing offense to keep 2 bigs on the court together).

This year, I think we’ve had too many minutes with Oshae, Marek and Paschal/Sidibe lineups - and with Oshae’s struggles this year that has left us with 3 non-scorers/poor shooters on the court for long stretches of time. We never seem to “go small”, even though our opponents routinely do. UVA starts a 5’9” kid, a 6’2” kid and a 6’5” kid. According to kenpom, that lineup is on the floor together for them almost 35% of the time. Clemson plays 3 guys together a lot that are all 6’4” or smaller. Same with Louisville. Hell, NC State’s most-used lineup has 4 guys on the court together that are all 6’5” or smaller. Can Boeheim find a way to evolve the zone to allow us to play smaller - with better shooters on the floor? That, to me, is his biggest challenge going forward with next year’s team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom