Point guard | Syracusefan.com

Point guard

20Plus

2019 point guards.

Jalen Carey
It obviously starts with Jalen Carey. However he may end up being more of a combo scoring guard based on his skill. I after a strong start he did not perform and body took his minutes and rightfully so based on what we saw on the floor.

Howard Washington
Maybe the only true point guard on the team. Definitely would have to shake off the rust but extremely high basketball IQ and similar play style to Tyler Ennis.

Joe Girard

Joe is a gunner and is very athletic and strong for his size. Gmac 2.0???

Goodine -MCW?

Who would you have running our team?

If it’s not Carey it’s going to be a long season. Goodine needs to get a lot stronger before you can rely on him to play point. Girard is not a point guard. I expect Jalen to really step up. If Sidibe and Edwards can provide average play at center I expect next years team to surprise people.

BTW I am not a Girard hater, I just don’t think anyone wants him playing point in the next two years. Washington is a last resort IMO. I always felt he would have been a great MAAC level player. He seems like a great kid and I hope he succeeds.

I’ve watched Girard play many times and I’d have no problem with him playing the point half the time. It’s not his main strength, but I’m not sure Carey is that much of an upgrade. Carey is no threat to shoot the ball and Girard handles the ball just as well. I do think Carey could be a great defensive player. I can’t say that about Girard, but he is one competitive kid. I think both are!

I’ve watched Girard play many times and I’d have no problem with him playing the point half the time. It’s not his main strength, but I’m not sure Carey is that much of an upgrade. Carey is no threat to shoot the ball and Girard handles the ball just as well. I do think Carey could be a great defensive player. I can’t say that about Girard, but he is one competitive kid. I think both are!

I feel like Girard might be capable of playing some point sophomore or junior year. I don’t think we want to see him playing point against ACC level competition as a frosh, but who knows for sure.

Jalen Carey will lock up the starting spot by a wide margin imo. He’s the superior prospect, has nearly a years experience and JB openly talks fondly of his development.

Goodine and Girard will get time in the out of conference and see service as needed further on.

People are acting like Carey’s close to Kaleb Joseph, it’s preposterous

Not really. I would rather have one guy that is really, really, good
Agreed but its nice to have some chess pieces.
I hope that JC has a huge Sophomore leap as he is extremely talented. Girard is deadly from beyond NBA range and brings a dimension that we havnt had since Gmac. Goodine in my opinion is our best all around guard and HW is a pure PG.
Italy is a blessing this year. It will give Jim a chance to experiment with multiple combinations. As to the Zone i like JC Buddy and Goodine. Lots of size.
On O Girard and Goodine with Goodine at the point.
Im not sure if we have ever had this much guard talent so it should be a fun ride.

Stop this nonsense about Girard “proving” anything in high school. He played the lowest level of ball in NYS, against guys whose future in D1 would be intramurals. In the Peach Jam, where he played vs D1 prospects in an actual team setting (not a defense optional AllStar game) he shot 30% from 3 and had 22 turnovers to 21 assists. Sound like an ACC level point guard to you?

I’ve fallen in love w the idea of having a “clutch” floor general leading the Orange again. The sheer amount of points he put up, the championships - it all feels like Gmac reincarnated. Extremely compelling story line. How quickly can he adapt to the college competition coming from dominating the Glens Falls HS level? I have a hunch that PG1 is a competition that this guy will want to win - and he likes competing and he likes winning.

Take all of that and put the cherry of unlimited range on top.

Stop this nonsense about Girard “proving” anything in high school. He played the lowest level of ball in NYS, against guys whose future in D1 would be intramurals. In the Peach Jam, where he played vs D1 prospects in an actual team setting (not a defense optional AllStar game) he shot 30% from 3 and had 22 turnovers to 21 assists. Sound like an ACC level point guard to you?
I played DI intramurals.

Quite poorly, I might add.

If it’s not Carey it’s going to be a long season. Goodine needs to get a lot stronger before you can rely on him to play point. Girard is not a point guard. I expect Jalen to really step up. If Sidibe and Edwards can provide average play at center I expect next years team to surprise people.
Agree with half
Disagree with “if not Carey it will be a long season”
And Girard can’t play point. I have great connections to guys who have seen him play regularly and he can and will

To small a sample size

Apparently sounds like an ACC level point guard to Coach K and Jim B... but what would they know...

We shall see, but if anyone is expecting Carey to be our point guard he needs to improve greatly over last year or we will be in deep water without a paddle. Carey is just as not a point guard as Girard and maybe moreso. He rarely if ever played point in HS or anywhere else. His game is based on quickness and frankly is not translating well to ACC/D1, shooting ability is not great from outside and when he takes it to the hole he is getting eaten up. Playmaking for others was non existent.
In short he was not ready last year and still very much to be seen what happens this year. This years team will be an adventure in many areas, especially at who comes out as the lead guard. As a previous poster said we need Italy to show who might be able to do what.

Carey has to be our pg with Hughes getting some point forward responsibilities.

Apparently sounds like an ACC level point guard to Coach K and Jim B... but what would they know...

We will see. Perhaps they both consider him an ACC level shooting guard? And perhaps he reaches that level as an upperclassman and not right away?

I am excited about his potential and hope he does well, but I’m trying extra hard this year to wait and see what happens.

You may or may not be correct, but assuming you are correct if he is not greatly improved then my statement about deep water and paddle will become very apparent, very soon.
I hope he developes, but seeing is believing for me and he was not impressive last year in my eyes.

Not sure. I feel better about Carey in a 6th man role than starting PG given the frequency of errors taking care of the ball. HW probably not good enough. Girard and Goodine are solid recruits my guess is one of them shows up pretty much developer and is forced into the role even if it’s not necessarily an ideal fit.

Personally, I don't think I've ever wanted a player to succeed here more than Howard Washington. I hope he and Jalen both do so well that Coach has to give them both playing time. Would love to be able to let the freshman develope and ease them into bigger roles as sophomores.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom