Polio in the 50's | Syracusefan.com

Polio in the 50's

Roger N

Beer: Ask your Doctor If It's Right For you
1590848732816.png

This is what it was like in the 50's before Dr Jonas Salk was allowed to rush his vaccine into production. If they had waited for the competing vaccine protocals how many more thousand iron lungs would be needed. I remember that 3rd graders all went for a series of 3 shots of the vaccine. I was lucky, I got the real stuff. My Dad took me to Fairmount school and hundreds of 3rd graders were there. How many more iron lungs would they have needed if Dr. Salk had not been listened to.

Story:

Last edited:
View attachment 181895
This is what it was like in the 50's before Dr Jonas Salk was allowed to rush his vaccine into production. If they had waited for the competing vaccine protocals how many more thousand iron lungs would be needed. I remember that 3rd graders all went for a series of 3 shots of the vaccine. I was lucky, I got the real stuff. My Dad took me to Fairmount school and hundreds of 3rd graders were there. How any more iron lungs would they have needed if Dr. Salk had not been listened to.

Story:
I got mine at Porter School on Genesee Street

A little history of the fight to end polio on the world. I am a member of the Jamestown , NY Rotary Club and Rotary's fight to end polio started in 1988. I remember our club members reached in their back pockets and gave over $60,000 that year. Just think about COVID-19 and it should tell us all if we do not win this struggle it will be back here in the USA. A little bit more below. The Bill Gates Foundation matches what Rotary and others give!!! Five other childhood disease vaccines are included into the one dose by mouth.

Rotary has been working to eradicate polio for more than 30 years. Our goal of ridding the world of this disease is closer than ever.

As a founding partner of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative, we've reduced polio cases by 99.9 percent since our first project to vaccinate children in the Philippines in 1979.

We've helped immunize more than 2.5 billion children in 122 countries. So far, Rotary has contributed more than $1.8 billion toward eradicating the disease worldwide.

Today, polio remains endemic only in Afghanistan, Nigeria, and Pakistan. But it’s crucial to continue working to keep other countries polio-free. If all eradication efforts stopped today, within 10 years, polio could paralyze as many as 200,000 children each year.

A little history of the fight to end polio on the world. I am a member of the Jamestown , NY Rotary Club and Rotary's fight to end polio started in 1988. I remember our club members reached in their back pockets and gave over $60,000 that year. Just think about COVID-19 and it should tell us all if we do not win this struggle it will be back here in the USA. A little bit more below. The Bill Gates Foundation matches what Rotary and others give!!! Five other childhood disease vaccines are included into the one dose by mouth.

Rotary has been working to eradicate polio for more than 30 years. Our goal of ridding the world of this disease is closer than ever.

As a founding partner of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative, we've reduced polio cases by 99.9 percent since our first project to vaccinate children in the Philippines in 1979.

We've helped immunize more than 2.5 billion children in 122 countries. So far, Rotary has contributed more than $1.8 billion toward eradicating the disease worldwide.

Today, polio remains endemic only in Afghanistan, Nigeria, and Pakistan. But it’s crucial to continue working to keep other countries polio-free. If all eradication efforts stopped today, within 10 years, polio could paralyze as many as 200,000 children each year.
Well done. I didn't know that.

I can still see the scar on my arm from the small pox vaccination. I can still remember them lining us up for the shot in the school cafeteria. A sugar cube for polio was less painful.

He wrote the television show Branded and was an inspiration to Walter Sobchak. His son Larry is a dunce who stole Jeff “the Dude“ Lebowski’s car...

Sellers doesn’t write anymore he has health problems
Gotta ask - Who is Arthur Digby Sellers?
Also, he resides in North Hollywood on Radford near the In-N-Out Burger. Those are good burgers.

Last edited:
The real inventor of polio vaccine ( not Salk). I used to work at Lederle Labs.
Several years before Jonas Salk and Albert Sabin developed their famous polio vaccines, Hilary Koprowski (1916-2013) in fact developed the world’s first effective, but much less well known polio vaccine (1, 2). Koprowski’s vaccine was used world-wide, but it was never licensed in the United States, ultimately losing out to Sabin’s vaccine.

Koprowski’s reputation was tarnished in 1950, when he tested his live polio vaccine on 20 children at Letchworth Village for mentally disabled children, in Rockland County, NY; an episode recounted in a recent posting Vaccine Research Using Children (1). Koprowski reported on the Letchworth Village trials at a 1951 conference of major polio researchers. Although his vaccine induced immunity in the children, and caused no ill effects, many scientists in the audience were horrified that he actually tested a live polio vaccine in human children. Afterwards, Sabin shouted at him: “Why did you do it? Why? Why?”

At Lederle, Hilary began the experiments that led to the world’s first successful polio vaccine. In 1950 he tested the live vaccine in eighteen mentally disabled children at Letchworth Village (1). None of these children had antibodies against poliovirus before he vaccinated them, but each of them was producing poliovirus antibodies after receiving the vaccine. Importantly, none of the children suffered ill effects. What’s more, Koprowski did not initiate the test. Rather, a Letchworth Village physician, fearing an outbreak of polio at the facility, came to Koprowski’s office at Lederle, requesting that Koprowski vaccinate the Letchworth children (1).

Also, he resides in North Hollywood on Radford near the In-and-Out Burger. Those are good burgers.
Had either Jack in the Box or In and Out burger this summer. Was extremely disappointed,to say the least.

Had either Jack in the Box or In and Out burger this summer. Was extremely disappointed,to say the least.
Jack in the Box is mediocre and when I lived in Cali it was usually a choice of last resort.

In-N-Out I'll fight you over your insult

Seriously, In-N-Out you need to insert your own input via secret menu

I like the Double Animal Style, reminds me of an old Carroll's Club Burger.

One day I'll try the animal fries too

Just Google In-N-Out secret menu for more ideas.

If you were disappointed you weren't eating at In-N-Out. Even foodies and chefs like Ina Garten (who I went to high school with but I digress) the late, great Anthony Bourdain and Gordon Ramsay, said emphatically that In-N-Out is the only fast food they'd ever eat. Julia Child loved In-N-Out. Here's Ramsay: "In-N-Out burgers were extraordinary. I was so bad, I sat in the restaurant, had my double cheeseburger then minutes later I drove back round and got the same thing again to take away." Here's Bourdain: "Whenever I come to L.A.—in fact, one of the reasons I look forward to doing The Taste—is because as soon as I arrive I'll hit the airport In-N-Out, and on my way out of town, after finishing The Taste, I'll pick up another."

Personally, many times I've driven an hour south to Salinas or an hour north to San Jose to the closest ones and waited in the drive-up line sometimes for 20 mins just for a double double with cheese and animal-style fries. It's a cult out here.

Last edited:
If you were disappointed you weren't eating at In-N-Out. Even foodies and chefs like Ina Garten (who I went to high school with but I digress) the late, great Anthony Bourdain and Gordon Ramsay, said emphatically that In-N-Out is the only fast food they'd ever eat. Julia Child loved In-N-Out. Here's Ramsay: "In-N-Out burgers were extraordinary. I was so bad, I sat in the restaurant, had my double cheeseburger then minutes later I drove back round and got the same thing again to take away." Here's Bourdain: "Whenever I come to L.A.—in fact, one of the reasons I look forward to doing The Taste—is because as soon as I arrive I'll hit the airport In-N-Out, and on my way out of town, after finishing The Taste, I'll pick up another."

Personally, many times I've driven an hour south to Salinas or an hour north to San Jose to the closest ones and waited in the drive-up line sometimes for 20 mins just for a double double with cheese and animal-style fries. It's a cult out here.

Yeah. It could have been JITB. Don't recall which. Just had to grab a bite, as we had an emergency change of plans, due to my son's flight from Pensacola being changed from SD to LA, we had to drive from San Diego to Julian, check in and drop off other kids, then to John Wayne airport, then back to Julian, for my son's wedding.

Yeah. It could have been JITB. Don't recall which. Just had to grab a bite, as we had an emergency change of plans, due to my son's flight from Pensacola being changed from SD to LA, we had to drive from San Diego to Julian, check in and drop off other kids, then to John Wayne airport, then back to Julian, for my son's wedding.
Prolly was JITB. Basically inedible. Pretty impossible to get a quick bite at In-N-Out, the lines are always long. With that said, I'll be happy to buy you a double double with cheese and ship it to you. Might arrive a little soggy but still the best ever. :)

I like the Double Animal Style, reminds me of an old Carroll's Club Burger.

Just Google In-N-Out secret menu for more ideas.
The clubburger was the best, I wish Carroll's had survived rather than BK.

Comparing in-n-out to jack in the box is like comparing Georgetown to Syracuse. One represents all that is good in this world. The other still sucks.

Rotary has been magnificent through the years on chasing polio. In some ways, we are so close to end, and in other ways, so far. The pollical strife is Nigeria and Pakistan are the greatest obstacles to completing the job. Volunteers on the ground have lost their lives by promoting immunization. Hopefully, we will get there some day.

My dad had polio, suffered tremendously, it's really reducing his quality of life now in his eighties, and ignorant family members are still alarmingly cavalier about covid.

with no sports, i don't see much point in being part of normal society, i just want to go into the woods and try to live off berries like that idiot kid in the movie who died in a van because he didn't know what he was doing. but for some reason my wife prefers to live in society so here i am

Last edited:
My dad contracted polio in 1929 when swimming in a public pool. He lost the use of his legs and spent the rest of his life on crutches and braces. He was one of the children in Warm Springs, Georgia, who was inspired by FDR and benefited from his generosity. FDR spent every Thanksgiving in Warm Springs and one child with polio sat next to him for Thanksgiving dinner, and my dad was that kid in 1932. I'm about 90% sure this is a picture of dad. The part in his hair never changed.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1590982941243.jpg
    FB_IMG_1590982941243.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online