Poll on Life Impact of SU sports

How much does an SU loss impact your life?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RF2044

Living Legend
There used to be a time when an SU loss in football, basketball, or lax would ruin my week.

I'm well beyond that now. Not only have I gotten desensitized, given the depths to which our football team sank, how difficult things have been in hoops with the NCAA penalties, etc. but having kids makes it easier to compartmentalize and keep things in perspective.

I tend to avoid the forums after a loss, as the temper tantrums / negativity combined with the loss make things even worse.

MG44

Scout Team
I'm kind of where RF2044 is, it bugs me but it doesnt ruin my week anymore.

The biggest change for me is I LOVE reading the news paper articles after a win and they get zero clicks out of me after a loss. I also have less interest in college football news all together after a loss.

Stern

All American
The outcomes of these games don't upset me any more. Until the Clemson loss two weeks ago I can't remember the last time I was upset over a football loss. The program has been so bad for so long it has beaten the emotion out of me to where i am almost indifferent to the outcome of football games. I view these games almost as an "analyst" instead of a "fan" which I hate but its the reality of it. I go to every home game (gave up season tickets though) because I can get in for free with my job and no perks to having season tickets really and its just "something to do on a Saturday" with a buddy, but no loss gets me upset. The Pitt loss this week I didn't even think about once the game ended. I see the powers that be at the school taking the right steps to building up the program, problem is these steps were needed some 15 years ago. Speaking only for me, the years of losing and watching a program get passed by and not keep up with the times has taken the joy out of SU football.

For basketball, I have seen SU win a national title in my lifetime. I'm good...lol. Seriously how I view it. When they lose a Final Four game to Michigan or UNC I am bothered since we are "so close" to another. But really no basketball loss has upset me since 2003. I saw my championship and I am at peace. I feel pretty much the same way about my NY Yankeees. I have seen them win so much no loss or bad season upsets me. How I feel about SU basketball.

CuseGrad94

2nd String
while I like to think I am optimistic and have my life in perspective, I admit when I think about it I get bummed for 30 seconds or so and move on about 100 times until the next game kicks off. Coming to work on Monday is the worst for sure...WVU guy met me in the kitchen at the office with a big eating grin on his face, that sucked. Illinois guy asks me if I think Rutgers could beat Pitt...SMH. Mizzou guy tells me he knows how I feel. The Michigan, Ohio St, Alabama guy I can live with because I never think we are on the same planet when it comes to football, but its the others that cut a little deeper.

Cuseregular

All American
yeah I've morphed from the little too much to little bit over the years when all the other life events put things into perspective. This last one though probably in between as it wasnt just a another game and loss, it would have been tangible evidence of a corner turned. We're turning it still but gonna take longer than had hoped.

Ish88888

All American
The meltdowns and hot takes on here have gotten me thinking - why do we follow teams and get so emotionally wrapped up in their failures? Shouldn't sports be entertaining?
That's the passion and craziness of being a fan. The day i log on and dont see the passion and energy on this board and yes, even the disappointed passion;) then that's the day I will be bummed:) ...

MaxwellCuse

All Conference
Fortunately, back in the day when I could have answered "Way Too Much," I had neither a spouse nor children to vent my frustrations and insecurities on. I think I got my priorities straight by the time I got married, although there are a few gaps in my memory between 2005 and 2009.

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
I think there are phases of fandom between the options 2-4. Tough to really get that pissed anymore considering how bad we have been and I don't think we are that good yet either. Last week was a huge game and we blew it and was way more pissed about the Pitt game than the Clemson game but I get over it in a day or so. Next two games will determine what Syracuse will make of the season. IMO, there isn't a game on the schedule that can't be won or loss. We need Dungey to get back to being Dungey, sooner or later he will throw caution to the wind and turn it loose. Have to figure out a way to at least stop the run on occassion

KaiserUEO

Living Legend
I like being able to see who voted for what, nice feature.

That said, the (currently) 9 of you who voted not at all are liars. You are all on here way too much to be a ‘not a all’.

For categories 2 & 3 we will say, I don’t recognize half the names. Just who the Fluck are u people?? Post more please and I will tell u later where u belong.

There are a few people who need to sign up for category 4. U know...and we all know...who u are, we all read the board after losses. Sometimes not till much later, but still.

Trueblue25

Great Dungey’s Kneecap
what hurts more is the crap i receive from casual and non SU fans following the loss.

Its like a repetitive jab to my grief bone that endures the week.

Eric15

Living Legend
I feel like "throwing things" and "berating your family" really need to be two separate categories. You can be a normal functioning human being and still throw your remote out of frustration after Pitt successfully ran the ball 847 plays in a row last week. But you can't be yelling at your wife and kids.

Last edited:

Forza Azzurri

All Conference
The outcomes of these games don't upset me any more. Until the Clemson loss two weeks ago I can't remember the last time I was upset over a football loss. The program has been so bad for so long it has beaten the emotion out of me to where i am almost indifferent to the outcome of football games. I view these games almost as an "analyst" instead of a "fan" which I hate but its the reality of it. I go to every home game (gave up season tickets though) because I can get in for free with my job and no perks to having season tickets really and its just "something to do on a Saturday" with a buddy, but no loss gets me upset. The Pitt loss this week I didn't even think about once the game ended. I see the powers that be at the school taking the right steps to building up the program, problem is these steps were needed some 15 years ago. Speaking only for me, the years of losing and watching a program get passed by and not keep up with the times has taken the joy out of SU football.

For basketball, I have seen SU win a national title in my lifetime. I'm good...lol. Seriously how I view it. When they lose a Final Four game to Michigan or UNC I am bothered since we are "so close" to another. But really no basketball loss has upset me since 2003. I saw my championship and I am at peace. I feel pretty much the same way about my NY Yankeees. I have seen them win so much no loss or bad season upsets me. How I feel about SU basketball.
Ditto. The Clemson game stung for a few hours. First time i’d felt that way about a football loss since the McNabb days. Bottom line is that we are a mid-major in football. We don’t have the financial wherewithal to keep up with the Clemsons of the world and 3 star talent is not going to consistently beat four and five star talent.

Can DB, or anyone else, upgrade our recruiting to the level of the perennial top ten schools, despite our inherent disadvantages? Who knows. Until then my expectations for the program will be minor bowls with an occasional special season and a better bowl but never sniffing the BCS. With that level of expectation, tough to get too worked up about wins and losses.

The NCAA tourney loss always stings but I was there for the entire journey in 03 so even endings like 12, 13 and 16 don’t have the same impact that they did pre 03..

Bottom line, I still watch every hoops, football and lax game that I can and always will but the Ls don’t have nearly the same impact that they did when I was in my teens and twenties.

Dinkyspond

(Hal) Cohen - (Marty) Headd backcourt
There used to be a time when an SU loss in football, basketball, or lax would ruin my week.

I'm well beyond that now. Not only have I gotten desensitized, given the depths to which our football team sank, how difficult things have been in hoops with the NCAA penalties, etc. but having kids makes it easier to compartmentalize and keep things in perspective.

I tend to avoid the forums after a loss, as the temper tantrums / negativity combined with the loss make things even worse.
I am the complete opposite. After a loss, I go straight to the forums as a source of therapy that I am not the only one who feels this way. If we win, the forums are a way to bask in the glow of victory.

PAcuse

All Conference
I'll yell at the TV from time to time, might wake a kid up and I did throw a notebook after the Dungey interception to the lineman...

Shenexon

All Conference
The Sugar Bowl game with Auburn and the National Championship game with Indiana about killed me so I backed off for a while. Since then, I've been much more relaxed about SU sports. I just couldn't stay as manic about it and survive. I'm still kind of manic at times but not like before. The past two games stung, especially Pittsburgh, but I look at the bigger picture more than I used to.

SU sports are in general in a really good place. I believe in Babers & Boeheim and think many SU sports are contenders, which is to me what it's all about. I want SU football in particular to be competitive, and they have been so far this season. To truly be competitive, they'll need to win close games, win on the road, get to a bowl game, and get some competitors to schedule their bye game before playing us. That will be a good sign of respect...

It's different with each sport. Any non basketball or football sport I am not all that excited about to begin with, so it doesn't affect me. If Syracuse Lacrosse isn't doing what they should do I will be mildly disappointed for a minute when I come across that fact. For reference, I became a fan of the other two between 2000-2003 (with basketball coming first). With basketball, my expectation level is really high, because the team has had many stretches of being very good in my lifetime. That being said, when basketball loses, I react very poorly. The last few years have been rough on that front.

What's interesting is that I care about football A LOT more, but because of the general ineptitude I react less to football losses generally. In most years I have been on to watching the primetime Saturday afternoon and night games immediately following a loss. Often that was because my hope was to just reach 6-6 and get to a bowl.

I have to tell you all, these past two weeks (and much more this past week) I've been more in that third category. Not that I have had a mild depression in all aspects of my life or anything, but I am definitely saddened by what happened. For example, this is the first time I have come to the board since the Pitt loss and that is largely because I really am bummed out by it and thinking about Cuse football hasn't been as fun since the loss. Clemson was such a valiant effort that I got over it within a day, but this Pitt loss REALLY stings. A genuine kick in the nuts. Really, really awful week to have a bye as a fan. There's nothing I want more right now than to watch the team whoop North Carolina and get to 5-2.

Top Bottom