Polls (3/1/21): Media #6 / Coaches #7 | Syracusefan.com

Polls (3/1/21): Media #6 / Coaches #7

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
1614607100204.png

Rutgers moved into the Top 5 of the Men's Division I Media Poll following its second-straight Big Ten win — this one in decisive fashion over Ohio State.

Georgetown is right there with the Knights too, at No. 4 after its second-straight near-flawless defensive performance.

Duke is No. 1, but it remains essentially a tie with No. 2 North Carolina and No. 3 Maryland right there, as well.

Virginia dropped to No. 9 after its loss to Syracuse, which comes in at No. 6. Ohio State and Penn State saw drops, and Hofstra enters the pol for the first time this season after its Battle of Long Island win.

The poll still represents a season that's not close to fully developed. Duke and Carolina have each played five games, while No. 8 Notre Dame made its debut this past weekend. UMass (No. 14) still has yet to play, nor has the MAAC, which has had Marist knocking on the door of the Top 20 the past three weeks.

1. Duke (10)
2. North Carolina (9)
3. Maryland (2)
4. Georgetown (1)
5. Rutgers

6. Syracuse

I agree with Duke, UNC, MD being in the top 3. After that, I can't agree with much. Would put Cuse in top 5. Virginia is too low at 9. I don't know what to do with Georgetown other than they are likely closer to 9 or 10.
Oh well - it's early and schedules are uneven.

View attachment 197207

Rutgers moved into the Top 5 of the Men's Division I Media Poll following its second-straight Big Ten win — this one in decisive fashion over Ohio State.

Georgetown is right there with the Knights too, at No. 4 after its second-straight near-flawless defensive performance.

Duke is No. 1, but it remains essentially a tie with No. 2 North Carolina and No. 3 Maryland right there, as well.

Virginia dropped to No. 9 after its loss to Syracuse, which comes in at No. 6. Ohio State and Penn State saw drops, and Hofstra enters the pol for the first time this season after its Battle of Long Island win.

The poll still represents a season that's not close to fully developed. Duke and Carolina have each played five games, while No. 8 Notre Dame made its debut this past weekend. UMass (No. 14) still has yet to play, nor has the MAAC, which has had Marist knocking on the door of the Top 20 the past three weeks.

1. Duke (10)
2. North Carolina (9)
3. Maryland (2)
4. Georgetown (1)
5. Rutgers

6. Syracuse
so 6 loses to 7 but beats 9, both at home.
7 beats 6 on road but loses to 9 on road.
9 beats 7 @ home, also beats 10 on road, and loses to 6 on road.

makes sense for lacrosse polls, i guess. surprised they don't have va behind ohio state with all that logic. or behind loyola for that matter.

I don't care about lacrosse polls but you can't have Virginia ahead of Syracuse after being annihilated.

I don't care about lacrosse polls but you can't have Virginia ahead of Syracuse after being annihilated.
but i guess it's ok to have syracuse ahead of army after getting annihilated?

if hoops did things this way, baylor would be behind kansas and ku would get a #1 seed.

it's silly. imo. not like all these games were months ago. a poll for how teams played last saturday only doesn't have a lot of starch.

a poll for how teams played last saturday only at this point in the season doesn't have a lot of starch.

Having said that, I'd go Duke, Maryland, UNC, GTown, RU, Notre Dame, Army, SU, UVA, Lehigh.

I agree with Duke, UNC, MD being in the top 3. After that, I can't agree with much. Would put Cuse in top 5. Virginia is too low at 9. I don't know what to do with Georgetown other than they are likely closer to 9 or 10.
Oh well - it's early and schedules are uneven.
Fine with GTown in the top 5. Less so because they beat St Johns (who probably ain't good) and held them to 1 goal and more because Nova, who they also held to one goal, went on to put up 16 against Marquette. Since it is so early I have no problem with taking goal differentials into account, especially when they are as insane as those.

if hoops did things this way, baylor would be behind kansas and ku would get a #1 seed.

it's silly. imo. not like all these games were months ago. a poll for how teams played last saturday only doesn't have a lot of starch.
Virginia beat Army. Army beat Syracuse. Syracuse beat Virginia. There’s no way to sus that out “correctly” in a dumb poll.

So move Army ahead of Syracuse then.

Hoops is a long season, this season just started, it's ok to move teams around based on being destroyed. A couple of goals is different. Syracuse dropped like 12 spots. UVA dropped like 5.

So move Army ahead of Syracuse then.

Hoops is a long season, this season just started, it's ok to move teams around based on being destroyed. A couple of goals is different. Syracuse dropped like 12 spots. UVA dropped like 5.
it says syracuse was 9 last week. and virginia dropped 7 this week. with 2 quality wins, one on the road.
and syracuse got destroyed 8 days ago.

point is, this is a poll based on last weekend. no other sport does things this way.

what's most interesting to me about this year... is how the committee (made up of several coaches and admins) is going to do their selection in a covid year. with much less out of conference, and in a glaring deal with the b1g... no ooc. are they going with the eye test instead of actual wins and losses?

tbd, but i think there's at least a chance that happens, and if you thought teams got screwed before, just wait.

Virginia beat Army. Army beat Syracuse. Syracuse beat Virginia. There’s no way to sus that out “correctly” in a dumb poll.
right. other than overall performance on the year.

Early, gonna be gyrations. At least these polls dont swing as stupidly as some others . Polls incorporate projections with subjectivity. No issue with Army ahead of Cuse based off last week . Clear Cuse would have been a better opponent after another week of prep but hey Army won big and they are most likely going to continue win for awhile as only two opponents of note are Lehigh and Loyola who they face late.

What matters at the end of regular season is that your overall play and standing leads to selection into tourney.

I think I would probably go with Army, then Syracuse, then Virginia as the coaches do.

They will probably let us know how they are selecting the tournament when it gets closer

Early, gonna be gyrations. At least these polls dont swing as stupidly as some others . Polls incorporate projections with subjectivity. No issue with Army ahead of Cuse based off last week . Clear Cuse would have been a better opponent after another week of prep but hey Army won big and they are most likely going to continue win for awhile as only two opponents of note are Lehigh and Loyola who they face late.

What matters at the end of regular season is that your overall play and standing leads to selection into tourney.

I think I would probably go with Army, then Syracuse, then Virginia as the coaches do.

They will probably let us know how they are selecting the tournament when it gets closer
no, they won't. they don't even tell the coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom