Polls (3/27/23): Media NR / Coaches NR | Syracusefan.com

Polls (3/27/23): Media NR / Coaches NR

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
64218f3505c0b.jpg

Who’s No. 1?

For the first time this season, there were serious questions headed into the Monday IL Media Poll.

It’s Virginia, which toppled last week’s No. 1 Notre Dame this weekend, taking home 20 of the first-place votes.

There’s a triumvirate of teams that have been battling for the throne, and they’ve all hampered each other. The Cavaliers have the most dominant win within that group with a 15-10 victory over the Irish. The No. 2 Terps have beaten Virginia in overtime and lost to Notre Dame in triple OT, but own two losses. The Irish have that triple OT win over the Terps but Saturday’s loss to UVa.

And then there’s Duke, which has been rolling through opponents with both offensive firepower and defensive muscle, winning seven-straight since dropping a Feb. 11 game at Jacksonville. They have three first-place votes.

It’s a good thing we don’t need to talk hypotheticals long: Virginia hosts Duke on Friday night on ESPNU.

Villanova (6) and Johns Hopkins (7) bump up a spot, and Army moves up to No. 8 with its second Top 10 win. Ohio State was the big riser in the poll, moving up to No. 14 from 19 after stifling the Scarlet Knights on Sunday Night Lacrosse.

Princeton (17) moved up three spots, and Penn and Yale are bordering on falling out of the poll.

Men's DI Media Poll — Week 7
Virginia (20)
Maryland (1)
Notre Dame
Duke (3)
Cornell

Check out the full Media Poll here.

FsPPyhlWwAUo-wN

i'm at the point where i'd rank cuse over a team like penn. getting tired of these ivies with losing records hanging around in the polls. if you look at the scores of penn's games, they could easily be 1-6 or 2-5. just don't think they are a very good team.

yale is lucky villanova is good this year and has a high RPI otherwise they'd be in deep doo doo

loser of penn-yale this weekend might be donezo in terms of the at-large situation

i'm at the point where i'd rank cuse over a team like penn. getting tired of these ivies with losing records hanging around in the polls. if you look at the scores of penn's games, they could easily be 1-6 or 2-5. just don't think they are a very good team.

yale is lucky villanova is good this year and has a high RPI otherwise they'd be in deep doo doo

loser of penn-yale this weekend might be donezo in terms of the at-large situation
I realistically only see one ivy league make the tournament if it continues like this.. Cornell

I agree and if u look at SU wins against the mid majors they were all blowouts except for Vermont and there 4 losses were all close games with two against top 5 teams.

I am not a big "why aren't we ranked guy" but to have Princeton or Penn above SU at this point is absurd. Yes SU doesn't have a top 20 win (Those Duke and JHU losses will haunt this team) but two under .500 teams with zero quality wins look foolish. Yale looks bad as well but they have a couple of quality wins at least in Denver and Nova ( I do agree with you on Yale and was suspect on them before the season started). One thing is clear, those of us who thought the IVY's peformance last year was a one off have definitely been vindicated, outside of Cornell and to a lesser extent Yale, they have been awful.

i said it earlier in year that syracuse season last year since that happen all polls will not give any cuse love till they prove sadly. I no doubt think we are top 15-20 team. I also don’t get why jacksonville so high with only win vs duke way way early on and haven’t played anyone good or will play anyone top for rest. to have them 11th is joke. But cuse no doubt is gonna be forced to have to truely earn their rank sadly by bias n straight up in love with ivys going on. Hope everyone kicks crap out of ivys. Cuse will most def have to beat princeton n unc n prob have to upset either duke uva or dame. Which is tall task either way. But in presser from hobart hiltz said wants to prove everybody wrong. I’d love for them to come out n upset dame this week.

I also don’t get why jacksonville so high with only win vs duke way way early on and haven’t played anyone good or will play anyone top for rest. to have them 11th is joke.
that win over duke is a better win than what anyone save for a handful of teams have. way better than anything syracuse has. that's duke's only loss. cuse had their chance against duke. jax is clearly a good team. it's not their fault they have to play these bad teams in the ASUN

I am not a big "why aren't we ranked guy" but to have Princeton or Penn above SU at this point is absurd. Yes SU doesn't have a top 20 win (Those Duke and JHU losses will haunt this team) but two under .500 teams with zero quality wins look foolish. Yale looks bad as well but they have a couple of quality wins at least in Denver and Nova ( I do agree with you on Yale and was suspect on them before the season started). One thing is clear, those of us who thought the IVY's peformance last year was a one off have definitely been vindicated, outside of Cornell and to a lesser extent Yale, they have been awful.
I hope we smoke Princeton in its backyard in a couple weeks…

that win over duke is a better win than what anyone save for a handful of teams have. way better than anything syracuse has. that's duke's only loss. cuse had their chance against duke. jax is clearly a good team. it's not their fault they have to play these bad teams in the ASUN
i wasn’t saying we should be above them but a early win over duke yes good but that is all they have n haven’t played a solid team since their first two games and isn’t all Asun teams. My problem is with how high their ranked 11th or in some 10th for just a win over duke n playing no body else doesn’t deserve where they are. 15-20 area i prob wouldn’t have problem with it then.

i wasn’t saying we should be above them but a early win over duke yes good but that is all they have n haven’t played a solid team since their first two games and isn’t all Asun teams. My problem is with how high their ranked 11th or in some 10th for just a win over duke n playing no body else doesn’t deserve where they are. 15-20 area i prob wouldn’t have problem with it then.
so teams should be ranked based on just PLAYING good teams? doesnt matter if they actually win those games or not?

based on them beating duke, who is a consensus top 5 team, it's quite reasonable to have jacksonville in the top 10 or 11

if Jax were playing Duke this week they probably dont win.

But In any case if you removed the Duke game would they be ranked based on how they played the rest of the schedule?

Being the weakest team in the ACC this year hurts us. I agree with many of the comments about questionable rankings - Villanova, Jax, Princeton, Yale etc. If we were in one of the middle range or weaker conferences, we would have a good shot at making the tournament. Getting any upsets against the ACC over the next few weeks is a tall order. ND will be hungry after losing to UVA. Beating Princeton would be nice. Given where we are in the team's development, I will be happy if we can be competitive against the big boys and look to add a proven fogo through the portal in the off-season.

One thing about the Ivies,, the late start and far less practices does take its toll in the early season games.. Not sure how good brown is but they got a bunch of suspended players back last week in their win over Vill.

But In any case if you removed the Duke game would they be ranked based on how they played the rest of the schedule?
but you can't remove the duke game. the duke game happened. if you remove the murders, ted bundy was a pretty charming guy

but you can't remove the duke game. the duke game happened. if you remove the murders, ted bundy was a pretty charming guy

Haha very true

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom