Portal and coaches leaving before Bowls. | Syracusefan.com

Portal and coaches leaving before Bowls.

shu 49

All Conference
This makes me really not appreciate football anymore like I used to. It was a team sport and each guy had a love for the school and would do whatever it took to win. These kids will leave a place they love to goto a place they don’t for a bit more money. There is no more team. Whoever can do better, will. Breaks my heart cause I love college ball. All the love that Duce showed Su, bam he was gone. If he doesn’t realize, we put some good guys in nfl lately at his position. Short term thoughts without thinking long term, and yes I know I didn’t at that age either.

I don't get the NFL thing. We aren't the only school that puts DBs in the league. How is that a pitch to stay?

This makes me really not appreciate football anymore like I used to. It was a team sport and each guy had a love for the school and would do whatever it took to win. These kids will leave a place they love to goto a place they don’t for a bit more money.
You're a mark. SMU happened in the 80s.

Last edited:
Honestly, what needs to happen is that schools need to tie their scholarships with play requirements. Then, when players opt out, take them to court. These are contracts with all kinds of stipulations, so include a play stipulation. This should be no different than any other contract.

Honestly, what needs to happen is that schools need to tie their scholarships with play requirements. Then, when players opt out, take them to court. These are contracts with all kinds of stipulations, so include a play stipulation. This should be no different than any other contract.
Bingo. Want free credits? Stay at the University for this amount of time etc. Many tuition reimbursement programs for companies are similar. The problem is it will never happen because of the free market; any school that does that puts itself in an instant disadvantage.

It would have to be conference wide or something

On the surface that could seem like a good idea. Then schools that chose not to do it would use it to negatively recruit. It's a situation where having the right to do something may not be the best idea.

Then Texas A&M will say "Come here. No play requirements".

Then Alabama and Texas and USC join them.

Now what.

I don't get the NFL thing. We aren't the only school that puts DBs in the league. How is that a pitch to stay?
Why wouldnt it be part of your pitch? It markets your program and shows you have the ability to get the most of a player. Kids want to be coached by guys that can get them to the NFL. Which is almost every kids dream. T

This makes me really not appreciate football anymore like I used to. It was a team sport and each guy had a love for the school and would do whatever it took to win. These kids will leave a place they love to goto a place they don’t for a bit more money. There is no more team. Whoever can do better, will. Breaks my heart cause I love college ball. All the love that Duce showed Su, bam he was gone. If he doesn’t realize, we put some good guys in nfl lately at his position. Short term thoughts without thinking long term, and yes I know I didn’t at that age either.
Move ALL bowl games to opening two weekends in late August/early September. For fans they are an "end of summer" vacation to travel to a neutral site before school starts in most states. For teams you will have your full roster play in these "BOWL GAMES" which are now essentially "kickoff classics"

The ONLY bowl games played after the end of the season and after the conference championship games are the playoff games in this new model.

Problem solved.

-Schools get to go to Bowls and get the Bowl payouts (just in August/Sep)
-Fans still get to travel to Bowl games
-Players aren't sitting out "week 1" of the season worried about their draft status
-Bowls will have filled stands with fans filled with optimism about their team that upcoming year, instead of playing in half empty stadiums on a Wed at 2pm in late December
-NO transfer portal issue or coaches leaving prior to the bowl game

WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN

The Bowls don't matter like they did in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Time to adjust the entire format.

I was thinking no coaches changing teams or portals until after bowl season and if u dont play or coach in game u lose all money that year. U sign a contract either way so u should play and coach.

Then Texas A&M will say "Come here. No play requirements".

Then Alabama and Texas and USC join them.

Now what.

Yeah, I get it. Just thinking outside the box.

Move ALL bowl games to opening two weekends in late August/early September. For fans they are an "end of summer" vacation to travel to a neutral site before school starts in most states. For teams you will have your full roster play in these "BOWL GAMES" which are now essentially "kickoff classics"

The ONLY bowl games played after the end of the season and after the conference championship games are the playoff games in this new model.

Problem solved.

-Schools get to go to Bowls and get the Bowl payouts (just in August/Sep)
-Fans still get to travel to Bowl games
-Players aren't sitting out "week 1" of the season worried about their draft status
-Bowls will have filled stands with fans filled with optimism about their team that upcoming year, instead of playing in half empty stadiums on a Wed at 2pm in late December
-NO transfer portal issue or coaches leaving prior to the bowl game

WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN

The Bowls don't matter like they did in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Time to adjust the entire format.
only issue is season ending injury in preseason bowl game.

only issue is season ending injury in preseason bowl game.
Don't view it as a preseason bowl game that doesn't count. View it as Week 1 of the season and a "KICKOFF CLASSIC" type of game that counts towards your season record and that is played on a neutral field.

We land a good player from the portal: “Let’s go! great pickup, pound the portal!”

We lose a good player to the portal: “This is just ridiculous, who leaves next? this portal thing is ruining the integrity of the sport.”

….

Don't view it as a preseason bowl game that doesn't count. View it as Week 1 of the season and a "KICKOFF CLASSIC" type of game that counts towards your season record and that is played on a neutral field.
fine, but conference games appear to be the driver of behaviors. I'd hate to see 1 extra game prior to conference play. But I get you point and it's unique. Other idea is do away with bowl and extend season for all be adding a few more bye weeks. allows for more practice time.

When we land a starter from a P5 school, the comparison will be valid. Up until now, we've landed starters from outside the P5 or backups from P5 schools. I'm not counting Martin. When you're married to the head coach's daughter, the rules change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom