Portal II - Revenge of the Portal | Syracusefan.com

Portal II - Revenge of the Portal

GoSU96

Living Legend
In the first act SU has been a net beneficiary. They have added what appears to be better potential in a couple of positions and cleared space to bring in more. A lot of schools have had a true mass exodus on portal opening day and they are losing really high level starters. SU hasn’t seen that to this point. Overall kids seem to be happy with the program and aren’t just leaving.

Chestnut is the only starter that has left to date. I get Jackson, but he was losing snaps all year and was told you might want to look around.

There are rumblings the second act could be rough as more better players are seduced by the NIL. If that’s the case it’s the programs job to mitigate it and try to keep kids sold. But if they can’t they have the opportunity to get equal or better themselves.

And that’s the third act, at the end of all this they will have 85 kids on scholarship. Their job is to get through this with a better roster than they ended the season with.

They did last year. Hopefully they can follow that up.

In the first act SU has been a net beneficiary. They have added what appears to be better potential in a couple of positions and cleared space to bring in more. A lot of schools have had a true mass exodus on portal opening day and they are losing really high level starters. SU hasn’t seen that to this point. Overall kids seem to be happy with the program and aren’t just leaving.

Chestnut is the only starter that has left to date. I get Jackson, but he was losing snaps all year and was told you might want to look around.

There are rumblings the second act could be rough as more better players are seduced by the NIL. If that’s the case it’s the programs job to mitigate it and try to keep kids sold. But if they can’t they have the opportunity to get equal or better themselves.

And that’s the third act, at the end of all this they will have 85 kids on scholarship. Their job is to get through this with a better roster than they ended the season with.

It's part of the job as a head coach to mitigate this type of movement, I am sure it's not much fun and the sailing can be pretty rough; however it doesn't change any of the expectations. It's really all part of the game. You either sink or swim. Up to Dino and his staff now to put a solid roster together and get to another bowl game next year and as fans you just have to sit back and watch but it's the way it's going to be for the foreseeable future.

Love your enthusiasm. I just don’t see how at the end of the day this program isn’t a minor league program for the factory schools.

I don't think it's enthusiasm really but the only way that the program can continue to try and win games every year and get to bowl games on a consistent basis. I do think Syracuse has a much better chance of addding top talent through the portal, a kid that is looking for a new start and playing time, once they move once, much tougher to leave again. I think some years will be better than others and coaches moving certainly doesn't help matters

It's almost as most kids will try and move at least once to see what is out there. Almost crazy not to, I have to imagine any kid at a non factory school who has demonstrated success on the field will at least inquire as to what is available on the market. I think Syracuse is still in a place where they are reactionary right now which isn't great by any means

Love your enthusiasm. I just don’t see how at the end of the day this program isn’t a minor league program for the factory schools.
Because everyone is capped at 85 and kids want to play. The SEC and Big10 powers are that way because they vacuum up 5 and 4 stars. They hoard talent. Now kids that are second or third string can leave and go to places like SU where they know they will play and get exposure.

How many starters have we lost to "factory schools"
Deuce has been the only one so far
We've picked up two 4 star kids in the process
Portal provides and the portal taketh, it's the new norm

If we can land Rook, and go after that corner from ND, then the D side should hold up.

It's part of the job as a head coach to mitigate this type of movement, I am sure it's not much fun and the sailing can be pretty rough; however it doesn't change any of the expectations. It's really all part of the game. You either sink or swim. Up to Dino and his staff now to put a solid roster together and get to another bowl game next year and as fans you just have to sit back and watch but it's the way it's going to be for the foreseeable future.
II think Dino sees this as an opportunity. In the past SU has had to live and die with the result of HS recruiting for the most part. Now he has a chance to rerecruit kids he had no real chance with out of HS and clear out reaches that were signed to get to a number.

You make this a place where kids want to stay and play hard for and have to be enticed to leave, you’ll be ok. SU needs to have the resources to match or better deals for their best players, which I don’t know if they have that today.

How many starters have we lost to "factory schools"
Deuce has been the only one so far
We've picked up two 4 star kids in the process
Portal provides and the portal taketh, it's the new norm
There is a place in this new world for those programs who have strong development coaching chops. Get the reputation of putting players in the NFL or putting players into better Nil opportunities and you will get talented players willing to come in. It becomes a turnstile but thats ok if inflow matches outflow each year AND development happens. From a “recency“ standpoint we are showing that. Cisco, Trill, Meli, Williams, Tucker, GS (top 10 QB in 22), Bergeron, etc.

II think Dino sees this as an opportunity. In the past SU has had to live and die with the result of HS recruiting for the most part. Now he has a chance to rerecruit kids he had no real chance with out of HS and clear out reaches that were signed to get to a number.

You make this a place where kids want to stay and play hard for and have to be enticed to leave, you’ll be ok. SU needs to have the resources to match or better deals for their best players, which I don’t know if they have that today.

Agree 100%. and he is navigating new waters as well. But I agree there is plenty of opportunity for Syracuse but it certainly can be like watching the sausage get made at times. Not for the timid

Agree. This is where we are a net winner. We will always be a loser if guys just chase the money. Playing time is how you get to the NFL. duce got on the field as a true frosh.

Isn't it a bit hypercritical to embrace getting a player from the portal but blaming a player from SU in going into it?

Yeah...wrong thread indeed for that, you're correct. Saw so many and yet I commented on the wrong thread, sorry.
All good, I just feel that you have to play the cards dealt. kids are going to come and go. Kids that will never see the field, role players, starters, and the teams best players just have to keep battling to put a roster together. I do think that the roster is a year to year thing and nobody is safe.

The thing is the safest kids are the ones we do get from the portal who have already transferred because they would have to sit out if they transfer again. Lose 8-10 bring in 8-10 and that is why smaller freshman classes are probably a better move going forward

Two things that feel minimized in all this chaos.

1. Playoffs are expanding, players are transferring or opting out. Will the other bowls make it? Seems like it should have an impact on attendance and ratings. But they also seem to keep adding more bowls, so who knows.

2. HS recruiting. Will still be there, but just feels like who cares. Our incoming class sucks? Who cares, we need to spend more time on the portal anyway.

The one thing that bugs me about it all is that the schools brought this on themselves, but then really don't put as much skin in the game as it seems like they should. You want better facilities, then pony up donors. You want better players in the pay for play era? Then pony up donors.

Conference realignment, TV contracts, it's been such a huge money grab, but outside of boosting staff salaries to the moon, that money is off limits for the other things you need to be a competitive program. But if people want to buy a better college sports team, then who is to stop them I guess.

I'm not sure we have the horses to survive much of a rougher second act, but agree we seem to be adding some guys too so let it play out and see who is here when practice starts.

While everyone is projecting all these trends will get worse, there is an argument it could get better over the next few years

NIL is in its early stages. Lots of trail/error. People chasing money year to year. Some will pay too much NIL money and end up regretting it. Much like any new market, it will eventually mature.

I would imagine schools that are proactive and communicate well could present a 2-3 year plan to HS recruits that provides a high enough floor that it helps retention. My sense is the athletes themselves generally don't like bouncing around if they can help it. You build relationships with teammates, coaches, friends, girlfriends, etc. $100k is enough of a difference to transfer, but $20k isn't.

Maybe that is being too hopeful. However, if Cuse can be competitive in all aspects, we could be OK

If a kid who isnt playing and has the talk that he may never play and he wants to play then the portal is a great thing.. if a kid at a lower level wants to play at a higher level then the portal is a great thing. If a kid is D1 and moving to another school because his school is in chaos then the portals is a good thing. If a kid is leaving just because another school has a richer alum then the portal is dumb

If a kid who isnt playing and has the talk that he may never play and he wants to play then the portal is a great thing.. if a kid at a lower level wants to play at a higher level then the portal is a great thing. If a kid is D1 and moving to another school because his school is in chaos then the portals is a good thing. If a kid is leaving just because another school has a richer alum then the portal is dumb
Why is it dumb? You choose to match or offer more or not compete. Depends on the value of the kid to your program. You also have to create reasons why staying are strong.

Last edited:
Because everyone is capped at 85 and kids want to play. The SEC and Big10 powers are that way because they vacuum up 5 and 4 stars. They hoard talent. Now kids that are second or third string can leave and go to places like SU where they know they will play and get exposure.
I disagree. When those players leave SEC/BIG schools you are most of the time doing that school a favor because you are freeing up a spot that they can then back fill with the underrated 3 star player that they did not offer in HS but went to and starred at place like Syracuse.

You are essentially trading with Alabama/Nebraska/whoever your 3-star top 5 player on your roster for the 4 star player at the bottom of their depth chart.

Why is it dumb? You choose to match or offer more or not compete. Depends on the value of the kid to your program. You also have create reasons why staying are strong.
its dumb because its model for the sport that kills the sport in the long run. how long do NW/Vandy and others stay in the sport when they barely compete on a level playing field now?

They would be better to just suck up the league money and try to get NIL to help like BBALL where less money goes farther.

its dumb because its model for the sport that kills the sport in the long run. how long do NW/Vandy and others stay in the sport when they barely compete on a level playing field now?

They would be better to just suck up the league money and try to get NIL to help like BBALL where less money goes farther.

Do you really think this is a viable option?

I bet NW and Vandy weren’t complaining when their leagues attempted world domination and bigger checks started flowing in. So why would anyone feel bad for them now if they can’t keep up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom