Portal Overload | Syracusefan.com

Portal Overload

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
With well over 1000 players in the D-1 transfer portal and the expectation that there will be a blanket waiver for every player who changes schools I don't know how coaches can do any kind of roster management for 2021. Keep in mind the only exception to the 85 scholarship limit is for fifth (or sixth) year seniors to return to their current schools. So every one of these potential transfers takes up a roster slot against the limit at their new school. What happens if there is not a more attractive offer on the table? Is the original school compelled to "hold a spot" to see if any of their portal players want to return? Could some be left without a chair when the music stops? Going to be an interesting few months.

ACC schools with number of players in the portal (from the hours and days site)

BC - 7
Clemson - 3
Duke - 9
FSU - 11
Ga. Tech - 13
Louisville - 10
Miami - 2
NC State - 7
UNC - 16
Pitt - 2
Syracuse - 9
UVa - 7
Va Tech - 7
WFU - 4
Notre Dame - 11

With well over 1000 players in the D-1 transfer portal and the expectation that there will be a blanket waiver for every player who changes schools I don't know how coaches can do any kind of roster management for 2021. Keep in mind the only exception to the 85 scholarship limit is for fifth (or sixth) year seniors to return to their current schools. So every one of these potential transfers takes up a roster slot against the limit at their new school. What happens if there is not a more attractive offer on the table? Is the original school compelled to "hold a spot" to see if any of their portal players want to return? Could some be left without a chair when the music stops? Going to be an interesting few months.

BC - 7
Clemson - 3
Duke - 9
FSU - 11
Ga. Tech - 13
Louisville - 10
Miami - 2
NC State - 7
UNC - 16
Pitt - 2
Syracuse - 9
UVa - 7
Va Tech - 7
WFU - 4
Notre Dame - 11

Yikkkkkkessss

could get really hairy

One positive for a team as young as Syracuse, the team can take a full 25 this next class, which I don’t think was the case if things had proceeded normally.

cant worry about the kids that aren’t here, focus on the four spots left this cycle for positions of need and instant impact, and get a better class than the last for next year

This isn't as damning as you think it is. According to my records, Syracuse had the following number of guys with eligibility leave the team in the off-season (whether it be transfer, DQ, or other reasons). This count includes walk-ons:

After 2016: 17
After 2017: 16
After 2018: 13
After 2019: 22

One positive for a team as young as Syracuse, the team can take a full 25 this next class, which I don’t think was the case if things had proceeded normally.

cant worry about the kids that aren’t here, focus on the four spots left this cycle for positions of need and instant impact, and get a better class than the last for next year
I would think if we see more enter the portal and not come back to our program, that means we have more than 4 spots, right?

Edited to add: the next recruiting class will be a weird one. We may get some very interesting opportunities to see if our staff actually is better at identifying talent.

Is the school required to hold the scholarship of a player who puts his name in the portal, just in case the player changes his mind and decides to return to the school? Or can the school revoke the scholarship as soon as a player enters the portal, and give the scholarship to someone else?

BC - 7
Clemson - 3
Duke - 9
FSU - 11
Ga. Tech - 13
Louisville - 10
Miami - 2
NC State - 7
UNC - 16
Pitt - 2
Syracuse - 9
UVa - 7
Va Tech - 7
WFU - 4
Notre Dame - 11
Tom Luginbill addressed this a year or 2 ago, these kids just dont realize there may not be greener pastures available for them. Theres more guys in the portal than scholarships available. Often times they may have to drop from Power 5 to Group of 5. Group of 5 to FBS and so on.

It's going to be interesting to see how much 1-10 impacts next year's recruiting class. Holding on to all but 1 (maybe 2) of the current incoming class was a good sign. Hopefully, that's an early indication. DB needs to stack progressively better classes year on year (including transfers, JUCOs, portal pounding).

Is the school required to hold the scholarship of a player who puts his name in the portal, just in case the player changes his mind and decides to return to the school? Or can the school revoke the scholarship as soon as a player enters the portal, and give the scholarship to someone else?
The school can stop giving aid at the end of the term that the student athlete entered the portal. The school doesn't have to accept them back.

Lot of really good options at DT and WR. Very limited right now on OL.

on a side note. Dion realizes he only can take 25 players total? Seems multiple players transferring to his team.

I would think if we see more enter the portal and not come back to our program, that means we have more than 4 spots, right?

Edited to add: the next recruiting class will be a weird one. We may get some very interesting opportunities to see if our staff actually is better at identifying talent.
CL would likely know this definitively but I thought for some reason we are capped at 25 players that can join each year but that may not include transfers. Not sure. We can also give a scholly from prior year if we didn't use the full 25 if player is early enrolled. (You are already aware of that I am sure). Going by memory here so not 100% certain but I think that's how it works.

It's the way things are going to go from now on. Has nothing to do with a mass exodus or whatever you want to call. Give a kid that isn't happy to chance to play immediately he's going to go elsewhere and coaches are going to keep recruiting kids at other schools constantly because there are many that will be succesdful at it.

Kid goes to Clemson instead of say Kentucky. KY coach keeps in touch with kid, kid at Clemson gets buried as a RF/freshman year on depth chart, two months later he's on KY. Coaches will have the HS kids they are recruiting and each assistant about another 10-15 kids at other schools they keep in touch with. what could go wrong there

Last edited:
CL would likely know this definitively but I thought for some reason we are capped at 25 players that can join each year but that may not include transfers. Not sure. We can also give a scholly from prior year if we didn't use the full 25 if player is early enrolled. (You are already aware of that I am sure). Going by memory here so not 100% certain but I think that's how it works.
I believe it has been posted somewhere that the 25 includes transfers.

I believe it has been posted somewhere that the 25 includes transfers.

And I was under the impression transfers did not count against the 25 new enrollees, only against the 85. I'm sure someone will find a definitive answer, but in the meantime I found this interesting, if dated, read.

But if this article is correct, I was mistaken. Transfers, whether grad or regular ARE considered initial counters and are subject to the limit of 25. This will really tighten up the number of potential landing spots for those in the portal.

And gotta love this analogy " After all, a man can’t leave the house and tell his wife he’s going on a few dates that night and reasonably expect her to still let him sleep in her bed. "

Last edited:
I would think that once a kid puts his name in the portal, he has essentially been granted a release from the school. At that point, they would assume the kid is leaving and he has forfeited his scholarship. If he wants to return, the team would have to decide whether or not they want him back.

The reality is that, like in all sports, a greater weight is put on younger players with potential than older players with potential. So if a kid is not happy with his playing time at a school and has 2 or 3 years left to play, he may not be as valuable to another school who thinks they can get a younger, shinier player by recruiting one. A lot of portal kids are going to drop precipitously.

I would think that once a kid puts his name in the portal, he has essentially been granted a release from the school. At that point, they would assume the kid is leaving and he has forfeited his scholarship. If he wants to return, the team would have to decide whether or not they want him back.

Yep. That's what the SI article that I posted says. I wonder if the hundreds of kids in the portal realize that?

It's the way things are going to go from now on. Has nothing to do with a mass exodus or whatever you want to call. Give a kid that isn't happy to chance to play immediately he's going to go elsewhere and coaches are going to keep recruiting kids at other schools constantly because there are many that will be succesdful at it.

Kid goes to Clemson instead of say Kentucky. KY coach keeps in touch with kid, kid at Clemson gets buried as a RF/freshman year on depth chart, two months later he's on KY. Coaches will have the HS kids they are recruiting and each assistant about another 10-15 kids at other schools they keep in touch with. what could go wrong there
Isn’t that tampering, a level 2 violation.

I believe there are going to be a bunch of kids without a chair when the music stops.

Agree, there will be many that end up moving down a level or further. The starter level quality kids or big-time recruits that got lost in depth charts looking for a change of scenery - there will be spots for those kids. But once you get past that group, the ability for programs to bring back 6th year senior freebies like we are doing with 5-6 guys so far, that IMO incentivizes coaching staffs to prioritize HS prospects over fringe prospects in the portal.

My only gripe is the redshirt extra year was so important for these kids actually graduating and getting degrees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom