Portal - Please Explain to Me....... | Syracusefan.com

Portal - Please Explain to Me.......

newmexicuse

All Conference
why a kid would enter the portal before a bowl game ??? Isnt the goal of the season to win enough to play in a bowl ??? Isnt a bowl a great opportunity to get national and NFL exposure ????

Now, going pro, I can understand weighing injury risk Vs opportunity to "show out", but the portal - I just dont get it.

They don’t want to risk getting hurt playing what they perceive as a meaningless game. Also if as everyone says, the bowl game and the practices for it are the start of the next season why stay for them if you are out the door?

If you're planning on transferring to another school, you have to enroll by a certain date (in SU's case, the Spring Semester begins Jan 14).

It's a tough ask to expect someone to wait until after New Year's Day to begin the process, especially when he's competing against kids from losing teams who didn't get invited to bowls.

That's why first window opens the day after the bowls are announced on Dec. 5, and closes 45 days later on Jan. 18, 2023.

There is also a 15-day spring period from May 1-15 for kids who want to enroll at a new school for the Summer.

If you're planning on transferring to another school, you have to enroll by a certain date (in SU's case, the Spring Semester begins Jan 14).

It's a tough ask to expect someone to wait until after New Year's Day to begin the process, especially when he's competing against kids from losing teams who didn't get invited to bowls.

That's why first window opens the day after the bowls are announced on Dec. 5, and closes 45 days later on Jan. 18, 2023.

There is also a 15-day spring period from May 1-15 for kids who want to enroll at a new school for the Summer.
Explain why do they need to enroll by Jan 14th if football season starts in August? If this had anything to do with academics they could go to Bowl finish in May, have a full semester of more education, transfer and confirm academic status. Why can't this 45 day window be in May/June?

Explain why do they need to enroll by Jan 14th if football season starts in August? If this had anything to do with academics they could go to Bowl finish in May, have a full semester of more education, transfer and confirm academic status. Why can't this 45 day window be in May/June?
spring practice

why a kid would enter the portal before a bowl game ??? Isnt the goal of the season to win enough to play in a bowl ??? Isnt a bowl a great opportunity to get national and NFL exposure ????

Now, going pro, I can understand weighing injury risk Vs opportunity to "show out", but the portal - I just dont get it.
The need to crown a definitive champion has rendered other bowl games meaningless exhibitions for to fill tv slots, have school higher ups indulge themselves, and hobnob with donors.

You see son, when a coach and a player love each other very much... ;)

don't athletes usually take more classes during when not in season too?
Could be. You only need 12 credits (if you're on a semester calendar) to be considered full time, but that's not going to be enough to be considered making "satisfactory progress" to stay eligible. Taking 12 in the fall and 18 in the spring keeps you on the right path.

The need to crown a definitive champion has rendered other bowl games meaningless exhibitions for to fill tv slots, have school higher ups indulge themselves, and hobnob with donors.
It may be time for you to find another hobby.

Timing is the most important reason. Kids putting their name in the portal that want to enroll at a new school for the spring would have to decide and commit by early January. That’s pretty hard to do while practicing for a bowl and then traveling to a bowl game. So that’s the largest driver. With exception to the NFL draft kids that want to avoid injury.

The real answer here is to close the portal on opening day in August and open the portal after the national championship game. Bar all contact until that time

NFL decisions are different. Can't force a kid to risk his dream.

They had a 2-team playoff since forever…. It’s the culture that has changed. Everyone is only looking out for themselves now. Team pride is an antiquated notion.

Even local coverage of high school sports is now just glorifying individual stars. In basketball camps all I see are 8-year-olds practicing their dance moves after they bank a euro-step 3-pointer despite having somebody open under the basket. It is what it is, but so nauseating.

Last edited:
They had a 2-team playoff since forever…. It’s the culture that has changed. Everyone is only looking out for themselves now. Team pride is an antiquated notion.

Even local coverage of high school sports is now just glorifying individual stars. In basketball camps all I see are 8-year-olds practicing their dance moves after they bank a euro-step 3-pointer despite having somebody open under the basket. It is what it is, but so nauseating.
Tiktok generation.

Could be. You only need 12 credits (if you're on a semester calendar) to be considered full time, but that's not going to be enough to be considered making "satisfactory progress" to stay eligible. Taking 12 in the fall and 18 in the spring keeps you on the right path.
Does anyone really believe that the Big 10, and SEC are paying any attention to eligibility of Players anymore.
After North Carolina bogus classes for 18 years the NCAA said not in their wheelhouse. They can't punish anyone after that fiasco.

Bowl games meant exposure back when most games weren't on TV. Any of the players with pro aspirations get plenty of exposure during the season now and the ones going into the portal to get more playing time elsewhere or because higher profile schools are seeking then out will get more exposure at their new spot.

I've always enjoyed bowl games because it's fun seeing teams play that don't nornally play each other. With all the changes, I'm less interested now than I have ever been just as I am in college basketball and football in general.

Does anyone really believe that the Big 10, and SEC are paying any attention to eligibility of Players anymore.
After North Carolina bogus classes for 18 years the NCAA said not in their wheelhouse. They can't punish anyone after that fiasco.
Yes, because someone is more than willing to turn them in for using an ineligible player due to grades in order to get the forfeit. I know I'm raging into the wind when I talk about the NCAA here, but they said they couldn't act because they were not in a position to judge what is or isn't a legitimate class if non-athletes are taking the course, too. UNC lucked out because the fratty boys found out about the easy As and glommed onto the classes as well as the athletes the secretary was trying to keep eligible. Whether they choose to admit it or not, there are a bunch of Wall Street Finance Bros who minored in AFAM while at UNC.

Last edited: