Portland Carmelo | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Portland Carmelo

Tough showing from CJ with a contract like that

I think they need to package CJ and someone else and bring a guy like Jerami Grant in. Simons to me is a better future play and started to show out this year. He is going to be really good.
I agree, but McCollum has a big contract. He will be hard to move. Totally agree on Simons.

Denver misses Jerami - and that was a display by Dame and Joker. Wow.

CJ was having a GREAT season before he got injured this year though.
Yeah, he had a career year. Still think he's the piece that needs to be moved for an upgrade if they ever want to be a contender with Lillard though. It's that or praying you strike gold on a star with a late 1st round pick.

Yeah, he had a career year. Still think he's the piece that needs to be moved for an upgrade if they ever want to be a contender with Lillard though. It's that or praying you strike gold on a star with a late 1st round pick.
It's one of those tough situations. McCollum's really good and has had a very good career. Borderline all-star. But is somewhat redundant with Lillard, who's much better.

If you move McCollum it's no guarantee that you actually get better, or get a guy that actually fits better. Tough stuff.

It's one of those tough situations. McCollum's really good and has had a very good career. Borderline all-star. But is somewhat redundant with Lillard, who's much better.

If you move McCollum it's no guarantee that you actually get better, or get a guy that actually fits better. Tough stuff.

Portland is missing a facilitator like a Draymond Green. In some ways their backcourt has GS like qualities but there is no glue/facilitator to bring it all together. Simons isn't CJ but he still could be really good. I know my example of Grant doesn't solve that either but the main point is that the statistical greatness and takeover of games by McCollum isn't the pairing that is top 3 in the conference. Not sure if they can fix it or not given his contract size.

I don't think CJ really balances Dame... Talent and skill wise, CJ is a very good player, but his decision making sometimes and the one against three drives through the lane kills me. He always seems like he's waiting on his turn to shoot. I don't think they need better guard, but a skillful, defense minded guard that can do some scoring would play better with Dame IMO..

There's no guarantee you get better, but I feel like it's irresponsible not to try. They've been together for 8 years now and there's never been a time that they were a contender. Maybe it would have been possible if their GM hadn't blown all of their cap space on legitimately bad players, but that's in the past now. They don't have Lillard and McCollum's rookie year contracts to build around anymore and having CJ as your #2 isn't going to cut it; it just isn't. The two of them are such a mess defensively and CJ just isn't good enough offensively to overcome that.

I don't know if it was ever really on the table, but there was a Middleton-CJ trade idea that was thrown around for a few years and it would have been a major win for Portland if they had found a way to do it.

At any rate, they should be adding some assets to CJ to see if they can upgrade their front court and slide Simons into the starting lineup (or just push Powell down to the SG spot; I don't think Simons is really the right fit with Dame either tbh).

Ultimately, I just hate their GM's teambuilding philosophy/think he kinda sucks lol.

Somebody read my mind dammit!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom