Post Inauguration What Ifs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Ozcuse, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Ozcuse

Ozcuse All Conference

So January 21st comes and Trump gets inaugurated as President and Pence as VP.

How badly would Trump have to screw up for Republicans to turn on him with impeachment proceedings and make Pence the President?

Do you have to break the law to be impeached or can it be done as a vote of no confidence? Would Dems in the house and senate be more inclined to have VP Pence in charge?

Mike Pence has had to have seen some and has all sorts of dirt.

2. cmr27

cmr27 All Conference

Not badly at all. Like Clinton, he'll be protected from any personal failings by the performance of the economy. However, the GOPe is behind the latest "leaks" as much as anyone. The Establishment will push him out if/when get a real scandal combined with severe economic decline.

3. Ozcuse

Ozcuse All Conference

I watch too much House of Cards. I don't believe Pence is diabolical enough to go Frank Underwood on Trump but you never know!

4. Hoo's That

Hoo's That All Conference

As Gerald R. Ford had his words come back to haunt him, "Grounds for impeachment are whatever a majority in the House of Representatives votes for." Although he was aiming at Justice William O. Douglas of SCOTUS, he hit RMN. The Constitution says they can be removed for "Treason, Bribery," (OK, pretty much everyone knows what they are) "or other High crimes and misdemeanors" (left undefined).

Ozcuse likes this.
  5. SUFaninNJ

SUFaninNJ All American

25th Amendment Section 4

Section 4: this is an emergency provision that allows the Vice President and members of the Cabinet to declare the President unfit to carry out the duties of the Presidency. The President may assert his competency (ability to serve) by sending a declaration to Congress. The Vice President and Cabinet can submit another declaration against the President, which would force Congress to reach a 2/3 majority that the President is unfit for office.

I'd be more in favor of it if Pence wasn't waiting in the wings. That guy is scary in his own right.

BTW, I don't see this happening, just answering the question.

Cowtown and Ozcuse like this.
  6. supp

supp All Conference

That's not a decision that's taken as lightly as you think. Impeachment damages the party and alienates a significant bloc of Republican voters. Most politicians are more concerned about getting re-elected than the good of the country. I don't care if you're talking about Republicans or Democrats. And it's debatable, if you ask me, that Pence is better for the country unless you think Evangelical Sharia law is good for the country.

OttoMets, SUFaninNJ and HOFCeluck like this.
  7. HOFCeluck

HOFCeluck Living Legend

I was thinking 25th amendment as well, based on recently binge watching the complete series of "24."

SUFaninNJ and Ozcuse like this.
  8. sabach

sabach All American

Define Evangalical Sharia law. In addition, what precisely could President Pence do to institute Evangelical Sharia law?

Cowtown likes this.
  9. supp

supp All Conference

Trump doesn't believe in anything except his own wealth and fame. I worry more about people who want to impose their beliefs and values on others. We already have a set of longstanding values in our political culture. It's called the American civil religion. I don't need the US to be a Christian country in thought, word, and deed. Neither did the Founding Fathers, who were by and large Deists.

10. sabach

sabach All American

Are you then advocating that the United States interpret the First Amendment religion clauses with the original intent of the Founding Fathers since you brought them into the discussion?

11. Briancuse

Briancuse Living Legend

You know what would be fun, we do a super bowl pool, we should do a Trump Impeachment pool. I will take May.