Post-Signing day, what should we expect next? | Syracusefan.com

Post-Signing day, what should we expect next?

RF2044

Living Legend
Now that we've signed the nucleus of the class, how many open scholarships do we still have to utilize?

Will the staff plumb the high school / prep school ranks for someone who might have slipped through the cracks?

Should we expect the staff to evaluate the JUCO ranks to see if there are any academically qualified first year guys they can convince to jump a year early?

Or will they just save the extra scholarships for grad transfers?

I feel like they could still use an OL, a DT, and a RB. Maybe even a WR [the last one worked out pretty well].

Last edited:
Now that we've signed the nucleus of the class, how many open scholarships do we still have to utilize?

Will the staff plumb the high school / prep school ranks for someone who might have slipped through the cracks?

Should we expect the staff to evaluate the JUCO ranks to see if there are any academically qualified first year guys they can convince to jump a year early?

I would like to see them pick up a DT that can immediately contribute via Grad Transfer or JUCO.

I feel like they could still use an OL, a DT, and a RB. Maybe even a WR [the last one worked out pretty well].

I think we have 5 open.

Babers said in the presser (paraphrasing) we'll take a kid if he improves the team. If he doesn't we'll pocket the ship.

IMO, I think we end up with Gus at RB and a WR as grad transfers. I'm watching Badet and Holmes.

I could see some specific positions for depth. On O maybe someone with experience at the Center position, again for depth. Another TE and RB? On D another LB and possibly DL for depth. As we all know injuries happen and I can remember a couple times where we were close to moving guys into positions because we were one person short of not having a back-up, maybe it was LB during the GROB or Marrone tenure?

I could see some specific positions for depth. On O maybe someone with experience at the Center position, again for depth. Another TE and RB? On D another LB and possibly DL for depth. As we all know injuries happen and I can remember a couple times where we were close to moving guys into positions because we were one person short of not having a back-up, maybe it was LB during the GROB or Marrone tenure?

TE's a good call--hard to envision the team making it through the season with just Pierce / Hackett. Wouldn't be surprised to see them scour the JUCO ranks for a blocking-type TE.

I think we have 5 open.

Babers said in the presser (paraphrasing) we'll take a kid if he improves the team. If he doesn't we'll pocket the ship.

IMO, I think we end up with Gus at RB and a WR as grad transfers. I'm watching Badet and Holmes.
Keep an eye on Alabama grad transfer Robert Foster, a PA prep not getting much run at Bama

I could see OL if it was a grad transfer.
I don't see us getting a DT at this point. We have the same numbers as last year less Guidice who didn't play much and add Harper. McKinley Williams should be a year stronger and smarter and Chris Elmore could contribute in 2017 if really needed. What we need desperately is young talent for the future. I think they go all out next year and bring in maybe 3 DT's. We can offer a lot of playing time and should be able to get better talent that way.
Really think we could use a grad transfer at RB...Gus please. Then we can bring in two good backs next year.
Can always use another good WR like Amba :)

Keep an eye on Alabama grad transfer Robert Foster, a PA prep not getting much run at Bama

I would love that development and I really want to see Gus as well.

I think they want to add a power RB, another outside WR, another OL, preferably an OT, and I think they might take a PK too. They will at least add one or two OK PWOs.

I think we have 5 open.

Is that still a possibility? I thought that due to Miami's policy, he couldn't transfer to any team that Miami will be playing...no?

Is that still a possibility? I thought that due to Miami's policy, he couldn't transfer to any team that Miami will be playing...no?

It depends how voluminous and effective all the outrage on social media is, in pressuring the AD to do the right thing.

I think we have 5 open.

Without asking them too specifically about Gus, since the coaches obviously can't comment directly, did anyone ask about his situation at the event last night?

Wow, why do that when BG was not playing Syracuse? Because he was mad that Syracuse took his HC?

This kind of thing happens all the time and a few kids always follow the coach they signed on to play for.

Except with HCDB and Syracuse. Now we know why.

What a jerk.

Wow, why do that when BG was not playing Syracuse? Because he was mad that Syracuse took his HC?

This kind of thing happens all the time and a few kids always follow the coach they signed on to play for.

What a jerk.

That's how I feel. If the kid is going to leave regardless and the teams aren't playing each other, there's no need to be anal about it.

What a jerk.

Thinking back to when we first hired Babers, and Gehrig announced his intentions to transfer, there was some talk linking him to SU. Makes perfect sense--he knew the system, we'd just hired his coach, he was a proven commodity, we needed help at WR, etc.

Guessing this links back to the reporter covering BG alleging that there was tampering, which is why SU / Babers backed off. Oh well--worked out, since we landed AET.

TE's a good call--hard to envision the team making it through the season with just Pierce / Hackett. Wouldn't be surprised to see them scour the JUCO ranks for a blocking-type TE.

Very true...surprised the staff haven't tried to transition enoicy and custis into TEs. Thats the best route to playing the position. Take the athleticism and height, add weight. Both may have a motor problem. Custis is 20# away from having the beef to do it. That said, it has to be in your dna to mix it up on the line.

Thinking back to when we first hired Babers, and Gehrig announced his intentions to transfer, there was some talk linking him to SU. Makes perfect sense--he knew the system, we'd just hired his coach, he was a proven commodity, we needed help at WR, etc.

Guessing this links back to the reporter covering BG alleging that there was tampering, which is why SU / Babers backed off. Oh well--worked out, since we landed AET.

Yeah I think it had more to do with tampering than anything.