Post spring | Syracusefan.com

Post spring

GoSU96

Living Legend
IMO the team is better at every unit except for DL and TE. Think from a puts and takes perspective Dino came out ahead in the portal wars.

Faster at RB with as much depth as last year.

WR, added depth. While no obvious #1 so far a lot of competition and a good mix of types, some obvious slot guys, some taller outside guys, and a bunch in between.

OL six guys return with starting experience. Top five have legit P5 size. Who emerges as 2nd unit and cam play will be a big part of the story next year.

QB - how much Shrader progresses will be the single biggest factor in how much the team improves.

Defense, top 3 LB unit in the ACC. Feel confident with the starting corners.

I think that safety and rover are wide open, let the best men win. Very much like the WR group a lot of guys to compete.

Obvious concerns with overall depth on the dl Feel good about Caleb and Lockett. Need at least 4 other guys to show they can hold up in ACC play and give the back 8 a chance to make plays.

Specials - punter can’t get no worse, glad to have Andre back again, hopefully he gets back to where he was before, CJ and Peña have shown they can make plays in the return game.

The roster continues to slowly improve, in particular the bottom third. Need more top end players to make a jump to the next level. The last three normal seasons, I’m going to put aside the covid year, the team has gone 20-17. Need to find a way to win two more games a year.

Last edited:
Agree with most of what you said. I think this is one of, if not the most talented teams Dino has had here. In terms of coaching staff this is 100% the most talented staff he has had. I think we’ll be quite alright with Shrader. The 2 areas as you stated that need to be at least average are Receiver and Defensive Line. They definitely have the numbers and young talent but we need the young talent to be realized this year for us to have a really good year. I think every other position group is average to elite in terms of ACC.

I think we have an Elite running back and Linebacker group. I think we have a very good CB group, the only thing holding them back from Elite in my mind is depth. Safties and OL will be good. QB is above average but not good until he works on his passing, if Shrader gets the passing down, we know what he can do with his legs so look out. And part of the passing improvement comes with the New OC and QB coach and how well the receivers improve. I think the passing game takes a jump this year. I’m excited for this team, even with the harder schedule I think this team has the potential to do things. We have a lot of guys on the team with the dawg attitude which is fun to watch and helps during games overcome any talent discrepancy

We need to find two DL via JUCO or portal...hope one can push to start and the other quality depth

I know Harper didn't quite fit in a 3-3-5 but he'll be missed

If we can get to consistent 7-9 win regular seasons the Dome would be packed.

IMO the team is better at every unit except for DL and TE. Think from a puts and takes perspective Dino came out ahead in the portal wars.

WR, added depth. While no obvious #1 so far a lot of competition and a good mix of types, some obvious slot guys, some taller outside guys, and a bunch in between.

OL six guys return with starting experience. Top five have legit P5 size. Who emerges as 2nd unit and cam play will be a big part of the story next year.

QB - how much Shrader progresses will be the single biggest factor in how much the team improves.

I think that safety and rover are wide open, let the best men win. Very much like the WR group a lot of guys to compete.

Obvious concerns with overall depth on the dl Feel good about Caleb and Lockett. Need at least 4 other guys to show they can hold up in ACC play and give the back 8 a chance to make plays.

Specials - punter can’t get no worse, glad to have Andre back again, hopefully he gets back to where he was before, CJ and Peña have shown they can make plays in the return game.

The roster continues to slowly improve, in particular the bottom third. Need more top end players to make a jump to the next level. The last three normal seasons, I’m going to put aside the covid year, the team has gone 20-17. Need to find a way to win two more games a year.
Agree with everything except TE. We will be better there.

Until their is consistent on-field play at WR I consider that group a weakness too. Heard way to much last pre-season as to the competition and how good guys looked at the position and there was a resounding thud from that unit in-season.

I'm at the point with that unit where they gotta show the goods.

I think when we say the team needs DL, we all mean big boy DT's. I think we got some hot young bucks at DE that are gonna knock our socks off. Linton, Geer, Simmons, Okechukwu, Jaquez, Nolton Jr.

And when we talk about Corners, we have much more there than we are giving credit for ...Williams, Chestnut, Simmons, Johnson, Wilson, Delaine Jr, and Peterson. Yes, mostly unproven ...but more young studs who could really surprise (Delaine Jr, Wilson, Peterson). Dino has even said to watch out for the Linebackers and secondary

I just think Mang and Mahar are better blockers and both are capable of being good receiving targets.
Mahar was fine but he played less than 20 snaps. According to PFF Mang however was one of our worst blockers. Run blocking he graded the lowest. Hopefully there is some improvement.

We need to find two DL via JUCO or portal...hope one can push to start and the other quality depth
Hopefully a transfer, but a JUCO this late in the transfer in cycle isn’t going to be a contributor, especially at DLine.

Biggest problem is DL

I just think Mang and Mahar are better blockers and both are capable of being good receiving targets.
Also, Rhino missed 4 games at the start of the season with the mystery suspension, came back really rusty, got straightened out and then was injured and missed the last 4 games. He only played in 4 games.

We should be way better just having Chris for a whole season. The other TEs were frosh last year and just were not ready to play. They should be a lot better this season as well.

This staff has a track record of optimizing the TE position, so I'm not worried about it. I suspect there will be position changes etc. heading into fall camp that will add to the position as well.

Mahar was fine but he played less than 20 snaps. According to PFF Mang however was one of our worst blockers. Run blocking he graded the lowest. Hopefully there is some improvement.
Im comparing him to Benson not the best TE's in the country.

Im comparing him to Benson not the best TE's in the country.

Benson was a better run blocker but not by a lot. But he was significantly better as a pass blocker. I was comparing Mang to everyone else on the team as a blocker including Benson. Hopefully we see some improvement now that he’s in his 2nd year. As someone else mentioned, having Elmore back will help a lot.

Benson was a better run blocker but not by a lot. But he was significantly better as a pass blocker. I was comparing Mang to everyone else on the team as a blocker including Benson. Hopefully we see some improvement now that he’s in his 2nd year. As someone else mentioned, having Elmore back will help a lot.
Better pass blocking. Not run blocking imo. He’s not as physical as Mang or Elmore. I’m assuming the new staff will have TE’s running routes. I’m not excited to see TE’s pass blocking. That’s not what they should be doing traditionally.

Better pass blocking. Not run blocking imo. He’s not as physical as Mang or Elmore. I’m assuming the new staff will have TE’s running routes. I’m not excited to see TE’s pass blocking. That’s not what they should be doing traditionally.

I’m only going by PFF grades.

Hopefully a transfer, but a JUCO this late in the transfer in cycle isn’t going to be a contributor, especially at DLine.
Just me seems like JUCOs are being ignored over portal kids

Benson should not be blocking on passing plays. Total waste of his talent.

Nobody entered the portal. Given the general volatility, pretty remarkable. Tells me it was a positive spring, kids feel there is true competition for spots or understand where they are on the roster and are good with it, and there isn’t any outside whispers and poison getting into their heads.

considering how the season ended the last few months have been pretty remarkable

Nobody entered the portal. Given the general volatility, pretty remarkable. Tells me it was a positive spring, kids feel there is true competition for spots or understand where they are on the roster and are good with it, and there isn’t any outside whispers and poison getting into their heads.

considering how the season ended the last few months have been pretty remarkable
The gloom and boomers wont give the same energy they had when players were entering the portal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom