Lots of thoughts, but happy to have some reason for optimism going into the offseason
- Thought Rex played his heart out and continued to get rid of the ball quickly and make some good passes. It's unfortunate the Turnovers prevented him from going out with a more memorable outing. I can live with the INT, but the 2 fumbles when he knew he was already in traffic hurt, especially from a 5th year Senior. Regardless, he along with the rest of the Senior class, have a lot to be proud of
- Wish they could have given Dillon the 4th quarter. I believe Dino is concerned about perception based on the score of the games. I personally would rather rather lose by 10 extra points and give the Freshman some reps to study in the offseason, but believe Dino feels otherwise.
- Taj ended the year strong and sounds like he wants to be a leader next year. Will be watching to see if he can get any stronger to look better for his muscle poses next year.
- Believe Queeley is solid-Not explosive or a game-breaker, but solid.
- Looking at the size and strength of the ND WR's/TE's, really hope one of the young bloods can step up and give us a strong guy who can catch the ball in traffic and through contact. Didn't really see that this year and need a guy like that on third downs who the Defense may know it's going to, but still can't stop because it's well designed and he's too darn strong. Maybe one of our TE's can be that guy.
- Want the O staff to evaluate our guys and figure out how we can maximize their strengths and tailor our offense to that. ND does a great job of that. They have very good Tight Ends, so they make sure to get them on the field early and often and utilize their strengths. Let's make the Defense try to worry about Tucker and Jordan simultaneously and line up JJ everywhere. Let's not forget about Lutz and utilize him on 3rd downs, as he may be our most complete back, able to run, catch, and block, the latter two not a strength of Tucker's yet. Let's get some more 2 TE sets with one of them on the perimeter to block for the screens, as our perimeter blocking generally hasn't been good. Then when the Defense is sure they are going to block, have them fake the block and go out for a pass.
- The D played very well in some tough situations caused by our 4 Turnovers, generally in bad field position. They have really started to come together these last couple of games. Lots to be excited about in our back 7, especially our LB's-Wax, Thompson, Jones, Cantin-Arku, Kpogba. We have a bunch of talent at that position and would like to see if we can get 4 of them on the field at times next year to utilize our talent there. Wonder what we do with Linton and Richards-would love to see them put on some pounds and help us out on the DL where there is a greater need.
- Will be interesting to see who returns at DL. Would love Bear and Jonathan to return the most. Roscoe and Black would also be helpful.
- Nykeim and Cooney were the stars of this year's Special teams, as we gave Smzyt the year off. Hope to see them both back.
- Dino has got to talk with some successful coaches about how to cut down the penalties. They kill us every year and so many of them are pre-snap or after the play is over. I don' t recall seeing a team get so many 15-yard penalties (and always at the worst times) in one year. There has to be consequences when someone gets one.
- Obviously, the biggest keys of the offseason and subsequently the 2021 season are QB and OL. I know everyone is assuming our OL will be better next year, but I feel like we say that every offseason. We might in fact be better there, but I'm not believing it till I see it. Besides bringing in a transfer OL or 2, if I'm Dino, I gotta look long and hard at bringing in a new OL coach. Don't know how he can afford to take a chance on letting the OL kill another season. I would find the best G5 OL coach resume I can find and recruit him like he's a 5 star recruit. The guy down the road at Buffalo seems to make a lot of sense. Would even be okay if we could keep Cav around in some diminished capacity.
- Everything I said about the OL, I would say about QB. I would love to see Tommy come on like gangbusters next year and dominate. If you're Dino, I don't know how you take the chance on being totally reliant on him and not bring in some competition. Even if plays well, he can get hurt again and no one is going to cry for Dino again (except for maybe our local media) if that happens. He has to be prepared for that and bring in someone who can come in and put some points on the board. If I'm Dino, if I'm going down, I'm going down knowing I did anything and everything to strengthen the depth and quality at those 2 positions.
- I don't think I'm exaggerating by saying this offseason might be the biggest offseason in the history of SU Football. Can be boom or bust and everything in between. You can fill in holes and strengthen the present and future of the team through the transfer portal/Grad transfer or you can potentially lose a bunch of your own quality guys to transfer. Many assume that players are debating between staying here or moving on from College. Many of them can be deciding between staying here or transferring elsewhere. Dino has to focus these next couple of weeks on recruiting our current team, not just the Seniors. Afterwards, he needs to find the best QB, OL, and DL to fill these holes. It will be fascinating to see what happens. Fasten your seatbelts!