Post SU-VT thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Post SU-VT thoughts

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • First of all, what a win!
  • Shrader carried us on his back. I hope he has something left for BC-It's ridiculous that we go 9 straight weeks w/o a bye
  • Tucker being Tucker-Nice to see him get over the 1K mark and become the leading rusher in the nation. Might be a good time to recruit another RB
  • Surprised to see Lutz come in for him when he needed a breather-Is Adams still around?
  • I've been begging Dino to throw to Alford-Big time throw by Shrader. I hope we see Alford become our main deep threat. Sharod has played better recently and made a very nice catch yesterday, but 6'5 is 6'5.
  • Queeley really struggled to catch the ball yesterday. I believe 2 drops plus a potential TD going off his hands which he didn't lay out for
  • Stefon Thompson with a big game-Seemed to be the main guy getting pressure.
  • Our DL appeared to be very quiet yesterday
  • Cole is very underrated-He scares me against a big WR, but is a tough kid who plays like he's 6'2.
  • A couple of TD-saving and game saving tackles by Duce. Thank you, Monseiur Schiano for allowing us to have him for 3-4 years
  • The clock/Timeout management continue to be brutal. I believe we've ended the 1st half badly for 5 straight games. We need to figure out a different way to do things because what we're doing in those spots ain't working.
  • Huge return by Pena-He is a weapon. Hope he's healthy.
  • Williams was okay, but I miss our recent punters who could really change the field. With decent ST this year, we could be 7-0.
  • Really interesting to hear Dino's comments of the interaction with the team/coaches during Halftime
  • We should beat BC, especially at home.
More to come after I rewatch

Part II
  • Forgot how big Hanna was in this game. While Hanna has struggled with tackling over the course of the year, he made 3 Big tackles in this game, 2 of which were potentially TD-saving tackles. He also made a big sack towards the end of the game that forced VT to punt
  • Elmore recovered Tucker's "Fumble" (though I thought Tucker was down), snatching it away from a VT defender. He also made an important tackle on a long Punt Return in the 4th quarter. That's putting aside some excellent blocks over the course of the game.
  • Speaking of bad calls, I'm not sure which game was more lopsided against us-This or the Rutgers game. It seems that 50/50 calls are 10/90 calls against us. Additionally, VT was very dirty after the whistle, pulling the leg or shoving players outside the hustle on too many occasions to follow. The contrast in the rulings for the 2 balls that seemed to touch the ground was upsetting. Since when is running into the kicker and not letting him land not a penalty?
  • Courtney Jackson is reminding me of a more explosive Alec Lemon. Uber productive HS player who is always open and catches nearly everything.
  • I felt strangely confident when Shrader got the ball to start that last drive. Even down 2 scores a little earlier, I didn't feel out of it. It was a big contrast to the last couple of years where I had confidence we could score at the end of a game to win a game. Garrett is a game-changer.
  • With 4 games left in the regular season, will be interesting to see if any new Freshmen touch the field. Hope is back!

Last edited:
Part II
  • Forgot how big Hanna was in this game. While Hanna has struggled with tackling over the course of the year, he made 3 Big tackles in this game, 2 of which were potentially TD-saving tackles. He also made a big sack towards the end of the game that forced VT to punt
  • Elmore recovered Tucker's "Fumble" (though I thought Tucker was down), snatching it away from a VT defender. He also made an important tackle on a long Punt Return in the 4th quarter. That's putting aside some excellent blocks over the course of the game.
  • Speaking of bad calls, I'm not sure which game was more lopsided against us-This or the Rutgers game. It seems that 50/50 calls are 10/90 calls against us. Additionally, VT was very dirty after the whistle, pulling the leg or shoving players outside the hustle on too many occasions to follow. The contrast in the rulings for the 2 balls that seemed to touch the ground was upsetting. Since when is running into the kicker and not letting him land not a penalty?
  • Courtney Jackson is reminding me of a more explosive Alec Lemon. Always open, catches nearly everything.
  • I felt strangely confident when Shrader got the ball to start that last drive. Even down 2 scores a little earlier, I didn't feel out of it. It was a big contrast to the last couple of years where I had confidence we could score at the end of a game to win a game. Garrett is a game-changer.
  • With 4 games left in the regular season, will be interesting to see if anyone else touches the field. Hope is back!

I disagree with Courtney Jackson and catching nearly everything…….

not sure his exact number of drops but feel like I’ve thought a lot this season, “Courtney just catch the dang ball.”

Queeley got some praise from the tv announcers for his blocking on a Shredder run. For good reason, he held his block like a grown man until after the play ended. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard him get kudos before for his blocking. Yes he needs to catch the ball but he is showing great effort out there.

not sure his exact number of drops but feel like I’ve thought a lot this season, “Courtney just catch the dang ball.”

you must be confusing him with someone else.

Good posts. Admit it, you broke it into two parts so you could get 2x the “Likes.”
1635128381806.png

I don’t think I am but I also 100% could be being over critical

i don’t have access to the advanced stats so I don’t know how many he’s dropped but over the last 4 games he has 22 catches for 236 yards and a TD. I don’t recall him dropping a pass since the beginning of the season.

He caught 7 of his 9 targets yesterday. I believe the only ones he hasn't caught in recent weeks were uncatchable (or extremely difficult to catch, like the one behind him a week or 2 ago). Call me crazy, but I believe our offense is better without Taj. More diversified, as QB's don't feel pressured to force it into him to keep him from going crazy, more consistent blocking on the perimeter, and less drops.

He caught 7 of his 9 targets yesterday. I believe the only ones he hasn't caught in recent weeks were uncatchable (or extremely difficult to catch, like the one behind him a week or 2 ago). Call me crazy, but I believe our offense is better without Taj. More diversified, as QB's don't feel pressured to force it into him to keep him from going crazy, more consistent blocking on the perimeter, and less drops.
You're not crazy. I believe that having TH and TD out of the picture has allowed for a collective deep breath and sense of relief. And seeing Babers' demeanor in the post-game presser made me wonder if he's had a change of heart about putting his foot down, being sterner and taking care of business sooner. I hope so, anyway.

no way you’re crazy, Taj is absolutely addition by subtraction

him leaving is a breath of fresh air for the WR in my opinion.

I think that was early on. He may have just needed some confidence. He has it now.

We need to keep getting him the ball in space, he has the wheels.

Not to rain on the parade - But, GS' two big throws to Johnson, and obviously, Alford were defended by the same VTech linebacker. #44 never turned to look for the ball during the entire play; and both balls were a bit under thrown. If that's a safety or corner guarding our wr, easily a chance both throws are picked. Now I agree; we were due for some lucky breaks, but 2 passing tds in the last 2:30 against VT, and a 4th and goal stop at the 3 yard line and a last minute strip sack against Liberty are responsible for our 2 biggest wins. Those are borderline Lake Placid - like occurrences.

Not to rain on the parade - But, GS' two big throws to Johnson, and obviously, Alford were defended by the same VTech linebacker. #44 never turned to look for the ball during the entire play; and both balls were a bit under thrown. If that's a safety or corner guarding our wr, easily a chance both throws are picked. Now I agree; we were due for some lucky breaks, but 2 passing tds in the last 2:30 against VT, and a 4th and goal stop at the 3 yard line and a last minute strip sack against Liberty are responsible for our 2 biggest wins. Those are borderline Lake Placid - like occurrences.
That’s thunderstorming. If you are going to take those wins away, then you should probably give us back one or two of the close losses.

Not to rain on the parade - But, GS' two big throws to Johnson, and obviously, Alford were defended by the same VTech linebacker. #44 never turned to look for the ball during the entire play; and both balls were a bit under thrown. If that's a safety or corner guarding our wr, easily a chance both throws are picked.

Wouldn't that mean we're creating good matchups and exploiting them?

That’s thunderstorming. If you are going to take those wins away, then you should probably give us back one or two of the close losses.
Hey, I'm guzzling the Kool-aid. Just noticed how bad the VT linebacker was on those 2 big catches. But, it can definitely be argued that Liberty and VT snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory. And, we did the same against Fsu, WF, and CU.

Very poor analysis by you on that TD pass to Alford. If you rewatch the play, Alford puts a move on him that he was going to cut across the field for a pass down the seam and 44 bit which caused separation. At that point 44 had to try to make up ground and could not look back for the ball or it would have created more separation. It was an A+ move by Alford.

Wouldn't that mean we're creating good matchups and exploiting them?
This is probably why we are running the 3-3-5. To keep from those lb versus wr match-ups. Although I think linebacker is our strongest unit on defense, and safety the weakest. Wouldn't mind seeing 4 lbs on the field, with Linton or Thompson on the line always.

The VT football roster says #44 is a 6’0 174 pound frosh CB.