Post SU-WF thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Post SU-WF thoughts

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • What an effort by Shrader and Tucker. Shrader's definitely got some Tebow in him. If he can start to hit the occasional long pass, watch out
  • I am concerned with him holding out for the year with how much we're asking him to do. 29 carries for a QB is insane
  • Under the radar was how well our young OL Ilaoa and Ellis played. I don't think we missed a beat with them in there (Ilaoa arguably looked better than Servais), which is a testament to them and Coach Schmidt
  • Remember when RB was our deepest position? With Howard gone and Adams supposedly hurt, Lutz was our only RB left. This is at least the 3rd time this year he has struggled to hold onto the ball in very limited carries-Don't remember it being a problem last year. Hope we can get Adams back ASAP
  • I was disappointed to see so little of Alford. Let's make Garrett's life easier passing the ball and give him a 6-5 target instead of trying to squeeze in those long shots to Sharod. All I've seen from Alford this year is catching everything and breaking tackles
  • Disappointed how we used Benson. He could help us with some intermediate looks.
  • Like the way we implemented some slant passes this week-They were very effective
  • While I'm disappointed in our kicking game, I'm higher on Pena as a returner than some here. I always feel like he can break one-good combo of speed and power. However, the WR coverage teams were excellent. They are a very well-coached team, in general
  • Garrett really struggled this game
  • Roscoe and Wax continue to make plays
  • I know that the most controversial decision of the day for Dino was accepting the penalty to get WF out of FG range, but another decision bothered me at least as much. Soon after Wake converted that 3rd and 23, they had a 1st and goal with 2:40 left in the 1st half and 3 timeouts left. Wake had more than enough time to run 4 more plays, but if we use our timeouts on Defense, we get the ball back with 2 minutes left and plenty of time to have another good drive. Instead, we let them milk most of the clock and we got it back with only 43 seconds left. We then burn one of our 2 remaining timeouts before we even run a play on offense. So we're left with only 43 seconds and 1 timeout. We of course get some yards down the field, but run out of time before we can get into FG range. This is the second week in a row something like this happened and symbolizes Dino's continued struggles with clock management. It is very frustrating to watch. I want to believe in Dino and feel he has improved in some matters, but I have no confidence we can win a 50/50/close game. If not for a super play by Roscoe and Wax to cause a turnover late against Liberty, this would be our 3rd game in a row where we lost late with shoddy decision-making a big factor. I hope Dino can look at himself in the mirror and realize he needs to do something different for these clock management, end of half decisions.
  • I also think he struggles at times to make a quick, decisive decision (ala George Mcdonald) in big situations. How many times over the years have we struggled to get the play off in time or get the special Teams on the field for a big play? How many times do we have to waste timeouts, particularly when we get to the red zone? How many of you believe in him in a close game? I want to believe in Dino, but he's got to fix this ASAP as this must be demoralizing to the guys and coaches in the locker room.
  • Having said that, every game is still up for grabs the rest of the year. If we can beat Clemson, which I think we should be able to do at home, that hopefully gives the team a big boost in the arm and can save the season. Clemson has not been scoring a lot of points and have had a bunch of injuries to key players. Dino likes to pull out the stops against Clemson and in Friday night games. Don't think a moral victory will do it-Need a victory on Friday. Think we can pull it off.

Last edited:
i think benson is still not 100 %. The staff clearly has alford as 3rd or 4th best wr as it seems queeley and jackson are clear 1 and 2

• What an effort by Shrader and Tucker. Shrader's definitely got some Tebow in him. If he can start to hit the occasional long pass, watch out
  • I am concerned with him holding out for the year with how much we're asking him to do. 29 carries for a QB is insane
  • Under the radar was how well our young OL Ilaoa and Ellis played. I don't think we missed a beat with them in there (Ilaoa arguably looked better than Servais), which is a testament to them and Coach Schmidt
  • Remember when RB was our deepest position? With Howard gone and Adams supposedly hurt, Lutz was our only RB left. This is at least the 3rd time this year he has struggled to hold onto the ball in very limited carries-Don't remember it being a problem last year. Hope we can get Adams back ASAP
  • I was disappointed to see so little of Alford. Let's make Garrett's life easier passing the ball and give him a 6-5 target instead of trying to squeeze in those long shots to Sharod. All I've seen from Alford this year is catching everything and breaking tackles
  • Disappointed how we used Benson. He could help us with some intermediate looks.
  • Like the way we implemented some slant passes this week-They were very effective
  • While I'm disappointed in our kicking game, I'm higher on Pena as a returner than some here. I always feel like he can break one-good combo of speed and power. However, the WR coverage teams were excellent. They are a very well-coached team, in general
  • I know that the most controversial decision of the day for Dino was accepting the penalty to get WF out of FG range, but another decision bothered me at least as much. Soon after Wake converted that 3rd and 23, they had a 1st and goal with 2:40 left in the 1st half and 3 timeouts left. Wake had more than enough time to run 4 more plays, but if we use our timeouts on Defense, we get the ball back with our 2 minutes left and plenty of time to have another drive. Instead, we let them milk most of the clock and we got it back with only 43 seconds left. We then burn one of our 2 remaining timeouts before we even run a play on offense. So we're left with only 43 seconds and 1 timeout. We of course get soem yards down the field, but run out of time before we can get into FG range. This is the second week in a row something like this happened and symbolizes Dino's continued struggles with clock management. It is very frustrating to watch. I want to believe in Dino and feel he has improved in some matters, but I have no confidence we can win a 50/50/close game. If not for a super play by Roscoe and Wax to cause a turnover late against Liberty, this would be our 3rd game in a row where we lost late with shoddy decision making a big factor. I hope Dino can look at himself in the mirror and realize he needs to do something different for these clock management, end of half decisions. I also think he struggles at times to make a quick, decisive decision (ala George Mcdonald) in big situations. How many times over the years have we struggled to get the play off in time or get the Special Teams on the field for a big play? How many times do we have to waste timeouts when we get to the red zone? I want to believe in Dino, but he's got to fix this ASAP as this must be demoralizing to the guys and coaches in the locker room.
  • Having said that, every game is still up for grabs the rest of the year. If we can beat Clemson, which I think we should be able to do at home, that hopefully gives the team a big boost in the arm and can save the season. Clemson has not been scoring a lot of points and have had a bunch of injuries to key players. Dino likes to pull out the stops against Clemson and in Friday night games. Don't think a moral victory will do it-Need a victory on Friday. Think we can pull it off.

I think I wanted Dino fired like 5x this game (I've since walked that back in my head). But with that said, my more rational and calm assessment of this game/team/season is in line with what I've continuously said this program always need to be able to do to compete: be great on special teams, be disciplined (don't beat ourselves) and have a mobile QB.

We have our mobile QB. We are not disciplined on the coaching side of things and special teams has just downturned.

Szmyt has to make the FG he missed (whether Dino should have gone for it is a different discussion). We are not good enough to give away those points. The punting has to be above average, at least. We need to be able to nail FGs inside of 45 yards when we are home and we can't give tons of yardage back on punts.

Separately on these big time calls that Dino is making, we are broken. Clock management, dead ball time outs, etc etc. The execution of play calls to snap is not at the level it needs to be.

I'm really in a weird spot with this team, because this defense with Shrader and Tucker, to me, is setting up for a lot of really good football in the future. Honestly, I really like this team and think we can end the year very strong (I legit wouldn't be surprised if we won like 5 of 6 in the back half of the season). Sean Tucker is such a smoother runner and has so much skill and Shrader is just an offensive machine and he has the size of a linebacker. Our defense has really, legitimate talent.

However, forgetting the actual decisions that Dino and co are making, it's just the fact that we can't get these decisions made, plays called in, snaps off, etc etc in a clean and timely manner. We need better time management, quick decisions on what's coming in from the sidelines and we have to give our guys a chance for success at these key moments each game. The players, imo, have made the leap we needed them to.

If this team can get to a bowl game, get the extra practices, we have a real opportunity to put it all together next year. I absolutely think 3-3 is on the table for the back half of this schedule, but we can't give away anymore games.

I'll say this, regardless, I'm going to enjoy Shrader and Tucker. These guys are just fun to watch. Shrader looks like he's playing school yard football (and I mean that positively) and Tucker looks like he was born to run the football.

Let's beat Clemson on Friday.

i think benson is still not 100 %. The staff clearly has alford as 3rd or 4th best wr as it seems queeley and jackson are clear 1 and 2
I will say after watching the condensed game that Courtney Jackson played very well for the second game in a row-Demonstrated good hands and some YAC. Would like to see him, Alford, and Queeley get the most snaps at WR. Would also like to see us use Alford as our main deep threat like WF uses their 6'5 receiver AT Perry. Those passes are much more difficult to complete to a 5'11 guy like Sharod Johnson.

I will say after watching the condensed game that Courtney Jackson played very well for the second game in a row-Demonstrated good hands and some YAC. Would like to see him, Alford, and Queeley get the most snaps at WR. Would also like to see us use Alford as our main deep threat like WF uses their 6'5 receiver AT Perry. Those passes are much more difficult to complete to a 5'11 guy like Sharod Johnson.
Agree with that and would like to see Benson get a shot a game on the outside.

• I know that the most controversial decision of the day for Dino was accepting the penalty to get WF out of FG range, but another decision bothered me at least as much. Soon after Wake converted that 3rd and 23, they had a 1st and goal with 2:40 left in the 1st half and 3 timeouts left. Wake had more than enough time to run 4 more plays, but if we use our timeouts on Defense, we get the ball back with 2 minutes left and plenty of time to have another good drive. Instead, we let them milk most of the clock and we got it back with only 43 seconds left. We then burn one of our 2 remaining timeouts before we even run a play on offense. So we're left with only 43 seconds and 1 timeout. We of course get some yards down the field, but run out of time before we can get into FG range. This is the second week in a row something like this happened and symbolizes Dino's continued struggles with clock management. It is very frustrating to watch. I want to believe in Dino and feel he has improved in some matters, but I have no confidence we can win a 50/50/close game. If not for a super play by Roscoe and Wax to cause a turnover late against Liberty, this would be our 3rd game in a row where we lost late with shoddy decision-making a big factor. I hope Dino can look at himself in the mirror and realize he needs to do something different for these clock management, end of half decisions.
  • I also think he struggles at times to make a quick, decisive decision (ala George Mcdonald) in big situations. How many times over the years have we struggled to get the play off in time or get the special Teams on the field for a big play? How many times do we have to waste timeouts, particularly when we get to the red zone? How many of you believe in him in a close game? I want to believe in Dino, but he's got to fix this ASAP as this must be demoralizing to the guys and coaches in the locker room.
Good take. Dino isn't a quick decision maker. He isn't good under pressure and tends to make terrible decisions when pressed. Simply put he would be known as a choker.
Chokers dont magically become better decision makers. Its not fixable. The best solution is to let his OCs decide which i doubt he would do.

Good points but no way GS holds out for the year, does not appear he is built thay way. Will show up every game ala Eric. More concerned with him getting blasted and sidelined like Eric, but you gotta let him play how he does, thats a chunk of what makes him special. Also concerned about giving Trucker the AJ Dillion treatment and riding him into the dirt

I’m about to watch the game again this morning. As hard as that loss was, that was the most exciting sporting event I have ever been to in my whole life. It convinced my wife to get ST next year and now she’s a Cuse fan. It was that good. The entire dome was electric every single third down that we were on D.

I’m about to watch the game again this morning. As hard as that loss was, that was the most exciting sporting event I have ever been to in my whole life. It convinced my wife to get ST next year and now she’s a Cuse fan. It was that good. The entire dome was electric every single third down that we were on D.

Now we just need the dome to be that way on 1st and 2nd down

baby steps tho

have to feel like re-watching to really see what plays made no sense.. but there were also some very nice calls that we broke down on that hurt.

our team is not good enough to over come really not getting any breaks.. you can lose the punting and kicking game and not win the TO game to beat a solid team and yet we still almost did it 3 times.

(I legit wouldn't be surprised if we won like 5 of 6 in the back half of the season).
I agree that I wouldn't be surprised either if we closed the year winning 4 or 5. We could also only win 1-2 the rest of the way, including some heart breaking losses (unfortunately). I don't suspect we have any outright blow outs though, like last year. The schedule is tough, but Wake is tough too. We'll see. We need the coaching staff to step up though, period. I don't agree with some takes that 3-3 is some absurd undertaking. We are capable.

We just played our hardest game of the schedule and pushed it into OT. I can see us going 3-3 the rest of the way. All hope is not lost. That being said, we could be 5-1 right now which is of course beyond frustrating.

who's the dude who stands next to dino on the sidelines stroking his beard and acting clueless. coach IAGO ?

have to feel like re-watching to really see what plays made no sense.. but there were also some very nice calls that we broke down on that hurt.

our team is not good enough to over come really not getting any breaks.. you can lose the punting and kicking game and not win the TO game to beat a solid team and yet we still almost did it 3 times.
Bad coaching lost this game. That is it, nothing else.

Agree with that and would like to see Benson get a shot a game on the outside.
Would like Alford, Benson, and Mang in the game at the same time, with Benson, as a WR. Let Elmore be a blocker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom