Postgame Thoughts… ASU | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… ASU

better game. Better game plan. Benny is def a worry though in my mind. He was expecting a ton of time like a lot of you were as well and if you watched the game he never clapped in the 2nd half when on bench. 6 mins for him in total. Something to keep an eye on and I’m not just saying it to say it. JB better figure something out soon for him because him playing 6 mins is crazy I don’t care what his reason is
What if the reason is that he is not that good. I have seen nothing from him that warrants a lot of time.

Last edited:
better game. Better game plan. Benny is def a worry though in my mind. He was expecting a ton of time like a lot of you were as well and if you watched the game he never clapped in the 2nd half when on bench. 6 mins for him in total. Something to keep an eye on and I’m not just saying it to say it. JB better figure something out soon for him because him playing 6 mins is crazy I don’t care what his reason is

This is the new thinking in the world, I guess. Why is the onus on JB to get Benny minutes? In reality, all Benny needs to do is figure out how not to be a complete no show in terms of contributing to the team when he is in there. Did you watch him tonight and last night? He did absolutely nothing of value and was a disaster with the ball in his hands. And he’s still getting minutes.

Hopefully he will improve to the point where he offers something, but right now he is offering exactly zero reasons to play any minutes.

Wouldnt it have helped to have Symir come in at the end to help with the pressure?

Yep. The very second he came in, he instantly turned it over in the backcourt against their press and he is an unreliable FT shooter. Just what we needed!

The way I saw it is JB wanted the taller players coming back on the inbounds so they could try to pass "over" the defenders. It worked most of the time, but once they started to dribble is when we ran into problems.

I agree with the comment about Symir not being used late due to his FT shooting. However, I would like to have seen him early in the second half around the eight minute mark when the pressure wasn't so intense. That would also give Joe a breather.

I like that he can dunk with authority and also play with some finesse on offense.

williams and anselem, both need more minutes. williams makes things happen, he energizes the team. he needs to gain his sea legs and confidence. frank is underestimated imho. he needs to play more !!!!!

Yep. The very second he came in, he instantly turned it over in the backcourt against their press and he is an unreliable FT shooter. Just what we needed!
I must have missed that between having the Bills game on the large tv and socializing with siblings.

Disappointing they need him to be more reliable due to the starters weakness

I must have missed that between having the Bills game on the large tv and socializing with siblings.

Disappointing they need him to be more reliable due to the starters weakness

Now in fairness to him, he came in ice cold into a frenzied press and his teammates didn’t do him any favors with a bad pass. But you could tell the plan was to try to keep the ball out of his hands anyway, clearly JB does not have confidence in his FT shooting. Absolutely need to work on that because if there is one thing he could do for this team it is give them a competent ball handler to break the press.

Bad sign starters are already having to play entire second half of games. Not a great outlook even in a victory.
I suspect that JB’s thought process is to get the starters going and get Cole, Joe and Jesse on track, and then phase in Benny more as he gets more comfortable and adjusts to the college game and learns what we need him to do.

We will see way more Benny today. Not only because have how much PT the forwards got yesterday, but Auburn has athletes that puts what VCU/ASU had to shame. We will need him in this one

JB has to take a look at his substitution pattern. Bringing in Benny, Frank and Smir together makes no sense. This results in no offensive balance. Benny would pair up much better with Jessie. They can feed off each other. He needs to stagger his subs so they aren’t all on the floor at the same time. I think Benny fits better with Jessie and Cole. Smir needs to develop a little floater. He gets blocked trying to go all the way and he has no midrange game.

Joe did better than he did against VCU by a lot. As a team, we were very low in turnovers tonight, at least until the last 5 minutes or so.
Yeah I agree but when the pressure comes man does it look sketchy out there.

JB has to take a look at his substitution pattern. Bringing in Benny, Frank and Smir together makes no sense. This results in no offensive balance. Benny would pair up much better with Jessie. They can feed off each other. He needs to stagger his subs so they aren’t all on the floor at the same time. I think Benny fits better with Jessie and Cole. Smir needs to develop a little floater. He gets blocked trying to go all the way and he has no midrange game.

I hate to say anything so definitive after only 5 games, but I don't see how Symir was ever a 4 star recruit. When he made that drive into the lane that got blocked, his body was all sideways to the hoop. You can't make a shot that way. He dribbles too far into traffic, and his shoulders aren't square to the hoop when he tries to shoot. His fundamentals are crap.

williams and anselem, both need more minutes. williams makes things happen, he energizes the team. he needs to gain his sea legs and confidence. frank is underestimated imho. he needs to play more !!!!!
I think Benny and Frank are going to be key subs for us later in the season but it’s gonna take a while.

I hate to say anything so definitive after only 5 games, but I don't see how Symir was ever a 4 star recruit. When he made that drive into the lane that got blocked, his body was all sideways to the hoop. You can't make a shot that way. He dribbles too far into traffic, and his shoulders aren't square to the hoop when he tries to shoot. His fundamentals are crap.
His game is broken. I mentioned in another thread that he actually used to be a plus shooter and did a fine job running the City Rocks when he was the pg there.

His game is broken. I mentioned in another thread that he actually used to be a plus shooter and did a fine job running the City Rocks when he was the pg there.
I don’t see how any of the coaches thought it was a good idea to bring him in as the third guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom