Postgame Thoughts... Duke | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts... Duke

I still look forward to Cuse basketball and Football.

If I’m being realistic though, our basketball program is not in a healthy spot and there’s very little to get excited about other than continuing a winning season streak that ultimately is fairly meaningless at this point.
And the lacrosse team (did you see that game on Sunday) is now seen walking up sidewalk to the Urgent Care Center. Let's hope they are only here for some antibiotics and hydration.

Just a few things to get off my chest:
-Quincy has regressed to the point where I almost hope he has a minor injury he is playing through. He doesn't have the same motor we saw earlier in the season and at his size he can't afford to take plays off. The only tweeners like him who succeed in the ACC and have a chance to get to the league are guys who are constantly getting after it. Also I have no clue why he is turning down wide open jumpers. If this is the Quincy we are going to get we have no chance to beat good ACC teams, as we saw last night. JB nailed it in his presser, Quincy is trying to score around guys and that doesn't work.
-It's a complaint decades old but when you see guys hitting threes wide open with nobody contesting the shot you wonder why we can't go man and make Duke put the ball on the ground. I'd much rather those guys have to drive than essentially play horse out there.
-The failure to have a center killed us with respect to Williams last night, that is obvious. But if we had a Wahab type of guy we could play at the 5 guys like Marek and Quincy would be at the positions they should be playing instead of being forced to play out of position. Quincy might be best as a combo 3-4 and Marek should be a 4. It's not just Sidibe's injury, truth be told he isn't good enough. The recruiting misses at center for the last 4 years continue to kill us. The domination by Williams last night was glaring, as with the UNC game we simply could not compete physically inside. We don't have the talent or size. Still I would have run Jesse and/or Frank out there for short minutes just to give the starters a breather, be physical, foul and at least put Williams at the line to interrupt the dunkfest.
-Kadary was sensational at times but he shifted into get mine mode in the second half. He needs to look to make the other guys better and get them open looks. If Kadary gets Buddy open looks and Buddy continues to play well do you think JB is going to yank him? A number of Kadary's drives were tasty and I appreciated his effort to rebound and score off a missed j.
-Joe is a 2 and should be used off the bench to come in and shoot off the pass. It is so painfully obvious that the more he dribbles the worse the possession gets. And that behind the back bobble 30 foot abomination was disgraceful and selfish. He gave up three wide open threes on defense in the early part of the game and seemed to have no interest in playing defense throughout.
-AG is a bipolar experience. I wish JB would identify the days when AG is out there only to audition for the pros and immediately replace him with Braswell.
-Happy to see Buddy shoot well again. Really the only good thing to come out of this game. The kid puts in the work and is so likable that is painful to watch him when he struggles.

Last edited:
I agree with that. Just saying that he’s not a starting ACC point guard, but could be a productive player for a team that rolled 9-10 deep. That’s not SU, though.
JGIII can contribute in important ways if: 1) he is used in the right role —come off the bench for 5-7 minute stretches to go all out hustle moving without the ball to get open for catch and quick release shots. He can no longer play like he is in high school and just create his own shots. 2) he needs to lose some weight and improve his cardio fitness for this role. 3) Hustle 100% of the time on the court.

He can help this team, but he is not the starting point guard or 2 guard that can lead us to the top of the ACC like Kadary could if he is the starting PG (we still need to fill other gaps)

Just a few things to get off my chest:
-Quincy has regressed to the point where I almost hope he has a minor injury he is playing through. He doesn't have the same motor we saw earlier in the season and at his size he can't afford to take plays off. The only tweeners like him who succeed in the ACC and have a chance to get to the league are guys who are constantly getting after it. Also I have no clue why he is turning down wide open jumpers. If this is the Quincy we are going to get we have no chance to beat good ACC teams, as we saw last night. JB nailed it in his presser, Quincy is trying to score around guys and that doesn't work.
-It's a complaint decades old but when you see guys hitting threes wide open with nobody contesting the shot you wonder why we can't go man and make Duke put the ball on the ground. I'd much rather those guys have to drive than essentially play horse out there.
-The failure to have a center killed us with respect to Williams last night, that is obvious. But if we had a Wahab type of guy we could play at the 5 guys like Marek and Quincy would be at the positions they should be playing instead of being forced to play out of position. Quincy might be best as a combo 3-4 and Marek should be a 4. It's not just Sidibe's injury, truth be told he isn't good enough. The recruiting misses at center for the last 4 years continue to kill us. The domination by Williams last night was glaring, as with the UNC game we simply could not compete physically inside. We don't have the talent or size. Still I would have run Jesse and/or Frank out there for short minutes just to give the starters a breather, be physical, foul and at least put Williams at the line to interrupt the dunkfest.
-Kadary was sensational at times but he shifted into get mine mode in the second half. He needs to look to make the other guys better and get them open looks. If Kadary gets Buddy open looks and Buddy continues to play well do you think JB is going to yank him? A number of Kadary's drives were tasty and I appreciated his effort to rebound and score off a missed j.
-Joe is a 2 and should be used off the bench to come in and shoot off the pass. It is so painfully obvious that the more he dribbles the worse the possession gets. And that behind the back bobble 30 foot abomination was disgraceful and selfish. He gave up three wide open threes on defense in the early part of the game and seemed to have no interest in playing defense throughout.
-AG is a bipolar experience. I wish JB would identify the days when AG is out there only to audition for the pros and immediately replace him with Braswell.
-Happy to see Buddy shoot well again. Really the only good thing to come out of this game. The kid puts in the work andQuincy has regressed to the point where I almost hope he has a minor injury he is playing through.

He doesn't have the same motor we saw earlier in the season and at his size he can't afford to take plays off. is so likable that is painful to watch him when he struggles.
I understand frustration with the team but this is crap. He gives his all always. He just got 14 rebounds on Saturday but doesn't have the motor we saw earlier in the season? He struggled against a guy 6 inches taller last night. He made some errors on where he was supposed to be also. But I've never seen him take plays off as you say.

I understand frustration with the team but this is crap. He gives his all always. He just got 14 rebounds on Saturday but doesn't have the motor we saw earlier in the season? He struggled against a guy 6 inches taller last night. He made some errors on where he was supposed to be also. But I've never seen him take plays off as you say.
Did you see the offensive board he didn’t get because he failed to jump at all? Something is going on there.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree. There were at least 3 rebounding opportunities, including 2 glaring ones, where he was badly beaten to the ball, in one case by a smaller player. He repeatedly did not fight for position for rebounds. I also saw instances where he did not get back on defense, especially on one occasion where the replay showed the end zone view.
I agree that Quincy usually gives it his all. That's why I have concerns regarding his health.

It was the 2010 team with Wes Johnson not the 2009 Flynn and Harris team that lost to Lemoyne

The 2009 team switched to man to man that season to beat Kansas in KC.
The switch sparked the comeback.
That team with Flynn and Harris was athletic enough to switch defenses frequently.

Such BS! But hey, JB certainly got people believing his garb that the 6th winningest program in the history of the NCAA doesn't have the caliber of talent/athletes to beat a team the likes of Le Moyne College. I mean, upsets happen, we see it all the time in the NCAA's. It was one frigging exhibition game in the preseason that our guys took as such, etc. And, whereas Le Moyne took as the pinnacle of theirs, even if it was an exhibition.

The premise that we aren't capable of playing m2m with the talent we have been typically accustomed to is unreal. If true, what does that actually say about our coaching? These guys have played m2m their entire lives in very competitive environments, AAU circuits, etc. What, they come to SU and suddenly don't have the ability/capacity to play a wink?

There's an obvious reason why 99.9% of schools out there play m2m as their primary D. The same/similar reason why the NFL is called a copy cat league. If playing zone as a primary D beared so much more fruit, then why don't more teams utilize it as such? We should be able to play some, mix it in, etc., especially when the situation calls for it. The zone can still be the primary D, but it's critical/imperative to get the right personnel to play it optimally. Otherwise, it becomes a weakness, and as more and more guys out there today have the ability to shoot from beyond the arc, easy pickings. At a school the likes of SU, we should be able to adapt/adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
I still look forward to Cuse basketball and Football.

If I’m being realistic though, our basketball program is not in a healthy spot and there’s very little to get excited about other than continuing a winning season streak that ultimately is fairly meaningless at this point.
true, we pile up wins in preconference vs. cupcakes and then finish the conference at .500 or a little better. We also usually lose the tougher nonconference games. It's a formula to go 19-14, 18-13 and be on the bubble for eternity, winning seasons, yes, national relevance, no

100% zone every game every posession is so frustrating but we know it won't change with coach. These kids can play M2M they all play it in high school and AAU it's just his excuse to why they have to always play the zone. Coaches need to make adjustments during games and to prepare for different teams. We continue to watch teams getting wide open threes because the zone is not very effective with this group. They only press in the second half if they are down by 15 or more points. Subs are a rarity even if it's glaring to everyone that somebody is off that day/night. Why don't we rebound our own free throw misses anymore? It's very frustrating how different players on the team get ripped for every mistake they make while others don't even get a reaction. Too call out the forwards the other night after the game for being terrible on D is a joke. How many games could that be said about the guards giving up wide open threes? Instead he talks about how Joe and Buddy were getting unfairly criticized a few games ago? It's not a coincidence that our recruiting has dropped off. I'm not bashing Buddy at all he has played very well lately. I'm bashing the performance of his dad. And oh yeah maybe recruit a center who weighs more than 205 lbs.

100% zone every game every posession is so frustrating but we know it won't change with coach. These kids can play M2M they all play it in high school and AAU it's just his excuse to why they have to always play the zone. Coaches need to make adjustments during games and to prepare for different teams. We continue to watch teams getting wide open threes because the zone is not very effective with this group. They only press in the second half if they are down by 15 or more points. Subs are a rarity even if it's glaring to everyone that somebody is off that day/night. Why don't we rebound our own free throw misses anymore? It's very frustrating how different players on the team get ripped for every mistake they make while others don't even get a reaction. Too call out the forwards the other night after the game for being terrible on D is a joke. How many games could that be said about the guards giving up wide open threes? Instead he talks about how Joe and Buddy were getting unfairly criticized a few games ago? It's not a coincidence that our recruiting has dropped off. I'm not bashing Buddy at all he has played very well lately. I'm bashing the performance of his dad. And oh yeah maybe recruit a center who weighs more than 205 lbs.
Running the zone with this group = running the option with Troy Nunes. Why? That’s not Marvin Graves. That’s not Jerami Grant. It’s not an advantage anymore.

Flipped over to ESPN Radio for a few and just heard this on my drive work about Duke recruiting/money. Didn't know where to drop this.

They were all talking NBA and Jay Williams started talking about Quinn Snyder and how well he liked him for recruiting him to Duke. Keyshawn Johnson then jumped in and said how much did he pay you. Jay paused... and then didn't hesitate to say less than you got at USC. No mention of actual dollars but openly acknowledged getting money to go to Duke on the air.

We all know the Duke dollars stories, but I hadn't heard a former player talk openly about it. He brotherhood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom