Potential Opponents with the Utah game being cancelled | Syracusefan.com

Potential Opponents with the Utah game being cancelled

JeremyCuse

Living Legend
As Orangelax astutely pointed out yesterday, Utah is no longer showing the SU game on its schedule and it appears the game will likely be cancelled. This would leave SU in a tough spot as just about every other conference is playing their conference tournaments that weekend.

However, SU would have some options First Robert Morris and Cle State are the other two independent programs both of whom have nothing scheduled after 5/1. ROMO has already played three other ACC teams this year, so this would seem to be the logical choice along with the fact that I believe they are the best Ind team at this time.

The other option would be teams who don't qualify for their conf tournament. The NEC, Patriot, AE, CAA and Big East are only taking the top 4 teams for their respective conf tourney. Obviously there is still some jocking to be done, but teams like Bingo, Colgate, Navy (potentially), St. Johns, Marquette, Merrimack, and Towson amongst others should all be available as they will know at least a week before that they didn't' qualify for their conf tournaments.

I hope* SU is out there making some contingency plans and reaching out to some of the teams I noted above, Gate, St. Johns, Towson are near locks to miss their tourneys plus ROMO with no tourney would be my top 4.

Good stuff Jeremy! I think the one road block might be the fact ADs won’t want to schedule a late season game if their season is effectively over, ie they miss their conference tournament. I feel like most schools maybe wouldn’t want to risk a Covid exposure to play a exhibition game (for them, obviously it should be a big game for SU). So maybe Robert Morris or Cleveland State is the best bet? Do we know why Utah wants to cancel? Colgate would be perfect but I thought it was strange they weren’t on the initial schedule.

Good stuff Jeremy! I think the one road block might be the fact ADs won’t want to schedule a late season game if their season is effectively over, ie they miss their conference tournament. I feel like most schools maybe wouldn’t want to risk a Covid exposure to play a exhibition game (for them, obviously it should be a big game for SU). So maybe Robert Morris or Cleveland State is the best bet? Do we know why Utah wants to cancel? Colgate would be perfect but I thought it was strange they weren’t on the initial schedule.

COVID could definitely complicate matters but if your a team with no hope of the conf tourney less the NCAA's this would be a good chance to get in a big type game against a legendary opponent. I would have to think we would have at least a few schools interested.

A81EA94D-CAE3-444C-A568-9C125B9CED79.jpeg

Recall in 2019 Syracuse had 17 day lay-off between ACC tournament and 1st round NCAA game. They did lose that game to Loyola.

Kind of concerning they say there is no plan to reschedule a home game for that time.

Ya I missed that at first to. That would give SU an 11 game season, not good at all. Really hope we try and reschedule

There could be some other possibilities from the Patriot League depending on who doesn't end up making that league tournament. Colgate seems like it makes sense geographically and since the two schools play annually.

Ya I missed that at first to. That would give SU an 11 game season, not good at all. Really hope we try and reschedule
It must be frustrating at times to play attack or offensive middie for Cuse and consistently play fewer games every year than other teams whose stars rack up more points. To say nothing of Cuse' typically tougher schedule.

It must be frustrating at times to play attack or offensive middie for Cuse and consistently play fewer games every year than other teams whose stars rack up more points. To say nothing of Cuse' typically tougher schedule.

Agreed, you have Duke and UVa playing 15 while we barely play 12. Not a fan of the lesser games at all.

Was thinking Hobart but they potentially have the NEC Champ. that day.

If Colgate loses to BU this weekend they won't make the PL tourney.

Interesting that they said no HOME game is being rescheduled. Maybe they have a road contest in the works? Or they didn't want people to get their hopes up about getting tickets to a game in the dome. Imagine one of the reporters will ask about it after the game tonight.

Penn is supposed to be playing a limited schedule of local teams (Drexel, St. Joe's, and Villanova have been mentioned). Maybe SU goes to Philly to play them there? Another candidate for Penn's schedule, UVa on May 1 since we lost our PL game.

Last edited:
Penn is supposed to be playing a limited schedule of local teams (Drexel, St. Joe's, and Villanova have been mentioned). Maybe SU goes to Philly to play them there? Another candidate for Penn's schedule, UVa on May 1 since we lost our PL game.

Penn is only authorized to play "local" Philly teams. Not sure a visiting team is allowed.

The University of Pennsylvania Division of Recreation and Intercollegiate Athletics has received University and Philadelphia Department of Public Health approval to move into Ivy Phase Four, which allows for local competition. Penn spring teams are permitted to compete against local institutions beginning on Saturday, March 27.

Interesting that they said no HOME game is being rescheduled. Maybe they have a road contest in the works? Or they didn't want people to get their hopes up about getting tickets to a game in the dome. Imagine one of the reporters will ask about it after the game tonight.

Ya hoping that mention about HOME game is a clue that were re-scheduling but will play on the road. Seems unlikely we wouldn't re-schedule at all but crazier things have happened.

Is Lehigh available? :)
they had a unique (like, unprecedented) opportunity to schedule in-season for something that was excellent insurance risk/reward and a make-up for army.

sometimes opportunities only come around once.

they had a unique (like, unprecedented) opportunity to schedule in-season for something that was excellent insurance risk/reward and a make-up for army.

sometimes opportunities only come around once.
I think you leave me no choice but to create an account on Sabre and mention that we beat you guys 20-10 once for every time you mention the Lehigh opportunity on here. It is literally in the top 5 most annoying things on this board and that is saying something.

I think you leave me no choice but to create an account on Sabre and mention that we beat you guys 20-10 once for every time you mention the Lehigh opportunity on here. It is literally in the top 5 most annoying things on this board and that is saying something.

Ya I don' tget the obsession with scheduling Lehigh from a non SU fan especially when scheduling them wouldn't have done jack to help us with the Utah issue.

lol. i grew up in syracuse. i have dozens of friends, to this day, that played there. this is literally the first time since the subject came up that i've said a word. and now... what i said was a possibility as coming due might in fact, come due.

it qas a discussion about plusses/minuses. i actually think i know what it takes most years for teams to get in, and was reading tea leaves for what was a different year (including committee chair comments.. which never happen). it was for what i thought would benefit SU. never once did i imply the 'cuse was "scared". but what i thought they should do. no one cares you beat holy cross.

sorry if you believe any of that is "annoying". one of your own just said as much in fewer words. grow a little thicker skin, fellas, none of this is inflammatory nor is out of bounds.

lol. i grew up in syracuse. i have dozens of friends, to this day, that played there. this is literally the first time since the subject came up that i've said a word. and now... what i said was a possibility as coming due might in fact, come due.

it qas a discussion about plusses/minuses. i actually think i know what it takes most years for teams to get in, and was reading tea leaves for what was a different year (including committee chair comments.. which never happen). it was for what i thought would benefit SU. never once did i imply the 'cuse was "scared". but what i thought they should do. no one cares you beat holy cross.

sorry if you believe any of that is "annoying". one of your own just said as much in fewer words. grow a little thicker skin, fellas, none of this is inflammatory nor is out of bounds.
Pleas just ask yourself before posting, “has this subject been completely beaten to death?” The other guy is clearly mentioning it as a joke! Come on man. Just stop with this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom