Practice Report | Syracusefan.com

Practice Report

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I happened to be close to the Melo Center last night and stumbled upon the men's team playing a spirited scrimmage. Was able to watch for a few minutes.

Brissett, Sidibe and Howard were not there so no comments on them.

One team had Tyus on it. The other had Elijah. They covered each other. They dominated the scrimmage, each taking most of the shots. Hughes was really impressive. I think he took 6 shots and made all of them. 4 were from outside the 3 point circle; one was a mid range jumper and one was a floater from the middle of the paint. His shooting form is excellent. He mostly stayed on the perimeter but showed the ability to penetrate as well.

Tyus tried to respond to this barrage and did a good job. He kept beating Hughes with a crossover, got into the paint seemingly whenever he wanted to and either scored on a short shot, got fouled or made a pass for a layup to one of his teammates.

Buddy was on Elijah's team. He had a couple of open looks from outside (one on a nice pass out from the paint by Elijah) but missed the shots. Got a couple of rebounds, got fouled inside once and made both FTs. He looked like he belonged out there.

Howard Washington played PG for Hughes' team and looked solid. No signs of recovering from surgery. Made a floater and ran the offense well.

A player I believe was Jalen Carey got in the game about halfway through the time I was watching. He rarely touched the ball and I can only say he looked good elevating to get a rebound.

A walk on played PG for Tyus' team. Feldman I think. He took one outside shot and missed the rim badly. I don't look for him to play much.

Marek rarely touched the ball but played good defense and made a crazy headlong dive for a loose ball, as is his wont. He didn't take any shots while I was watching.

Braswell didn't touch the ball much either but he got a couple of rebounds and showed a nice handle on a play where he was taking the ball up and noticed the defense wasn't paying much attention to him. Ended up getting close and made the layup. No shots taken from the outside.

Chukwu also didn't touch it much but did get the ball down low in scoring position once. Missed thatshot (well defended by Marek I think) but got the rebound, pump faked and scored down low.

Biggest takeways for me were Howard looks 100% or really close to it and all that look about Hughes being good looks legit. His defense was not impressive but on this day anyway, his shooting was really impressive.

Can anyone just walk in during practice and watch?

Unfortunately, no. It used to be back when the team practiced [primarily] in Manley, but the CKM center is security restricted. They're very tight about observers being let in.

Hoping to get access in the next couple of weeks for my annual preseason practice assessment.

I happened to be close to the Melo Center last night and stumbled upon the men's team playing a spirited scrimmage. Was able to watch for a few minutes.

Brissett, Sidibe and Howard were not there so no comments on them.

One team had Tyus on it. The other had Elijah. They covered each other. They dominated the scrimmage, each taking most of the shots. Hughes was really impressive. I think he took 6 shots and made all of them. 4 were from outside the 3 point circle; one was a mid range jumper and one was a floater from the middle of the paint. His shooting form is excellent. He mostly stayed on the perimeter but showed the ability to penetrate as well.

Tyus tried to respond to this barrage and did a good job. He kept beating Hughes with a crossover, got into the paint seemingly whenever he wanted to and either scored on a short shot, got fouled or made a pass for a layup to one of his teammates.

Buddy was on Elijah's team. He had a couple of open looks from outside (one on a nice pass out from the paint by Elijah) but missed the shots. Got a couple of rebounds, got fouled inside once and made both FTs. He looked like he belonged out there.

Howard Washington played PG for Hughes' team and looked solid. No signs of recovering from surgery. Made a floater and ran the offense well.

A player I believe was Jalen Carey got in the game about halfway through the time I was watching. He rarely touched the ball and I can only say he looked good elevating to get a rebound.

A walk on played PG for Tyus' team. Feldman I think. He took one outside shot and missed the rim badly. I don't look for him to play much.

Marek rarely touched the ball but played good defense and made a crazy headlong dive for a loose ball, as is his wont. He didn't take any shots while I was watching.

Braswell didn't touch the ball much either but he got a couple of rebounds and showed a nice handle on a play where he was taking the ball up and noticed the defense wasn't paying much attention to him. Ended up getting close and made the layup. No shots taken from the outside.

Chukwu also didn't touch it much but did get the ball down low in scoring position once. Missed thatshot (well defended by Marek I think) but got the rebound, pump faked and scored down low.

Biggest takeways for me were Howard looks 100% or really close to it and all that look about Hughes being good looks legit. His defense was not impressive but on this day anyway, his shooting was really impressive.
Thanks TC. On D, were they playing 2/3 or mtm. Can't wait to see this years team.

I am ridiculously giddy about Hughes

I'm happy about him too, but how do you envision him making an impact the most (playing 2/3, coming off the bench, defense, offensively driving in, hitting outside shot, hounding smaller opposing guard, etc)?

Unfortunately, no. It used to be back when the team practiced [primarily] in Manley, but the CKM center is security restricted. They're very tight about observers being let in.

Hoping to get access in the next couple of weeks for my annual preseason practice assessment.
I remember your reports with your dad from Manley. They were great.

I remember your reports with your dad from Manley. They were great.

Thank you -- always had a lot of fun writing them up and sharing the info with the board.

Used to love being able to watch the team numerous times in the preseason, to get my fix before the games began. It was also a good way to not make judgements based upon a player performing well or poorly in any given lone practice.

Manley was a dump, but having unrestricted access [basically] was pretty cool.

Does Howard really look a 100 per cent? How can he when you said u weren't gonna talk about him because he wasn't there. Am I missing something? Was Howard missing something?

I'm happy about him too, but how do you envision him making an impact the most (playing 2/3, coming off the bench, defense, offensively driving in, hitting outside shot, hounding smaller opposing guard, etc)?

2 and the 3...he will most likely start at the 3. Shooting is a major major strength

Thank you -- always had a lot of fun writing them up and sharing the info with the board.

Used to love being able to watch the team numerous times in the preseason, to get my fix before the games began. It was also a good way to not make judgements based upon a player performing well or poorly in any given lone practice.

Manley was a dump, but having unrestricted access [basically] was pretty cool.
Met board legend Mason there when he was a grad student in some field I could neither pronounce or understand.

I'm honestly worried about this statement and Sobe's well being. Anyone seen or heard from him? I realize there was no way he could have read the report and came away with a Frank bash, but it seems like the kind of post he would have commented on either way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom