Predicting every unbeaten college football team's first loss | Syracusefan.com

Predicting every unbeaten college football team's first loss

Killdozer

Starter
247 Sports has a review for every undefeated teams first lost. Here is what they had to say about SU. They are going to have to rewrite this next month after SU is still undefeated.

SYRACUSE ORANGE​

Sean Tucker
(Photo: Icon Sportswire, Getty)
Projected first loss: N.C. State (Oct. 15)
Remember when Syracuse coach Dino Babers was on the hot seat? So much for that. The Orange are one of two unbeatens left in the ACC alongside Clemson. This is where the attention begins to wear off, however. Syracuse plays N.C. State, Clemson and Notre Dame over its next three games. There's no way the Orange get through that three-game stretch without a loss. Games against Pittsburgh, Florida State and Wake Forest follow. So, no disrespect to Syracuse, but team identity is not yet clear with its most difficult games still to be played.

Fair but I'd say its certainly possible we can win the next 3. I think were more likely to win vs Notre Dame than lose it. Likely to win those three no, but yes its plausible. Spit ballin' I'd put our chances of winning each at around...

40% chance to win vs NC State.
30% chance to win at Clemson
60% chance to win vs Notre Dame

Fair but I'd say its certainly possible we can win the next 3. I think were more likely to win vs Notre Dame than lose it. Likely to win those three no, but yes its plausible. Spit ballin' I'd put our chances of winning each at around...

ESPN power index says
57.5% chance to beat NC State
14.3% chance to beat Clemson
44.1% chance to be Notre Dame

I think we have a 50/50 shot of getting through this stretch 3-0

I’ll know by about 4:15 pm on Saturday October 15th if we’re going to do it
Yup. We'll know very quickly if we can stop the run/get a pass rush.

NC State on film has looked solid and they were stout playing Clemson. That said there is nothing about what they have done year to date for them to be an obvious easy pick over us especially in the Dome.

We can beat NC State, but I certainly fear Clemson's defensive front. That might the sort of advantage that outright wins them the game
For sure, if they can get home consistently with just bringing 4, it could be a really long game down in death valley.

ESPN power index says
57.5% chance to beat NC State
14.3% chance to beat Clemson
44.1% chance to be Notre Dame
NC State we are certainly better off being at home, we may very well be favored here. I expect it to be a close one. No problem with this.

Notre Dame at home i think we should be favored slightly but 44% chance is fine.

But the Clemson game? 14.3%? Come on! I would predict a L as well but no way are the odds we win 1 in 7 games played there. I know they have a crazy home winning streak but they are not THAT good right now.

For sure, if they can get home consistently with just bringing 4, it could be a really long game down in death valley.
Clemson best beware of Shrader, when they pass rush, that drop off to Tucker could cause them a lot of problems.
Then when they go for that Shrader keeps the ball.
That could be a very interesting game.

Losing to NC State at this point would be a disappointment. They are way overrated. What have they done in the last 13 games to warrant their ranking? They are still living off of their 2 OT upset W against the worst Clemson team in the Dabo era. Their O is not good and they just gave up 30 points to a mediocre Clemson O. I hope our staff took notes on how well DJ ran (his best game of the year).

Edit

The best team they have beaten since Clemson is Texas Tech. They have nothing to show for in the last 13 games.

Last edited:
We beat nc st lose at Clemson. 6-1, I’ll take it!
me too, I sooo want us to be bowl eligible after NC State, I think that will take some pressure off the team, that was their main goal for the season. After that, they can relax a bit and set some new and bigger goals!

That means a 7.2% chance of winning all 3.

I think we have a 50/50 shot of getting through this stretch 3-0

I’ll know by about 4:15 pm on Saturday October 15th if we’re going to do it
Assuming independence, that assumes just about an 80% probability of winning each of the 3 games.

When was the last time NC State beat a decent team on the road? The last game of 2016 vs UNC? If NC State beats us it will be by far Doeren's best road W of his career.

I think we beat NC State but fall to Clemson on the road in a close one. And it won’t even hurt our ranking.

nevermind...
Your numbers imply only a == 7.20% chance to get all 3.