Preparing for UVA - Food for thought | Syracusefan.com

Preparing for UVA - Food for thought

mlbball99

2nd String
As we prepare this week for UVA, anyone think UVA has a slight advantage in that they are very well aware of Anae/Beck's playbook given they were assistants just last year? The defense may be very familiar with hand calls/signals, etc.

Something to look out for this week. Might change our preparation.

On the flip side, Tony White is likely in Anae's office this week getting a full scouting report on that UVA offense skill set.

As we prepare this week for UVA, anyone think UVA has a slight advantage in that they are very well aware of Anae/Beck's playbook given they were assistants just last year? The defense may be very familiar with hand calls/signals, etc.

Absolutely not for there are new defensive assistants and Anae & Beck are at the top of their game to let anything let that occur. Good question though!

On the flip side, the Tony White is likely in Anae's office this week getting a full scouting report on that UVA offense skill set.
They have a new HC - the players have some familiarity - but the staff doesn’t. And our coaches know their personnel too

On the flip side, Tony White is likely in Anae's office this week getting a full scouting report on that UVA offense skill set.
Agreed.

There is a video of an interview with the UVa DC after the ODU game I watched last night. He was asked about this.

Confirmed they have the UVa offensive playbook. Thinks it will be helpful. But it isn't the same as having two core coaches on staff who have had their unit go head to head against the other teams defense in practice for the last couple of years.

did the virg play book have a running section ?

My thoughts as well. I think they’ve iterated on the playbook they had at Virginia and added some of the power run concepts we’ve been running for the past few years.

Power concepts I think we emphasize running successfully, given how ineffective we were running the ball at times against Purdue.

Virginia has some good skill players: QB Armstrong, #99 WR Thompson, #2 & #20 RBs (both smallish fast guys), etc. but seemed to be out of sync in general against ODU. The OL looked like a work in progress. Overall, I'm hopeful that we're a more complete team going into the game. Armstrong fumbled twice. UVA's defense seemed better against the run than the pass. Hoping overall that this is a down year for UVA and a strong year for SU.

not an easy game by any means, but a game we absolutely should/need to win. As far as advantage on the coaching side, Anae and Beck know their defensive weaknesses by going against them in practice every day, that is a big advantage over their players having knowledge of the Anae playbook at UVA, because Anae's SU playbook is different

Virginia fans on 247 think we are a easy win lmfao.
Reading the same things you are and laughing. they said purdue gifted us the win and that our offense was stagnant most of the game, while the offense part being true, they put up 16 points at home against old dominion. if they were playing purdue and had the struggles we did early on, it’s a purdue blowout by 40. We’re better than virginia, and with Anae/Beck going against their defensive players in practice everyday while they were there, they’re going to know exactly how to exploit their weaknesses, i don’t think it’ll be close.

UVA is the next test in the "peer program" schedule pipeline.

I expect we'll pass.

Which is an overly complicated way of saying I think we'll win.

They're very clearly a program in transition, and at best, in the middle of a take one step back to take two steps forward process.

I may be in the minority here, but I think any overall advantage either side might have due to familiarity is probably negligible due to the changes among personnel, coaches and schemes.

I may be in the minority here, but I think any overall advantage either side might have due to familiarity is probably negligible due to the changes among personnel, coaches and schemes.
I see it like when Scott came back to the dome with MTSU, we had obviously a completely different system, but he knew what ED did well and was able to shut us down. Could see Rob/Beck having that kind of impact on UVA’s defense.

I don't like that Isaiah Jones is out for season. I also don't like that Shrader is banged up. I expect this game to be a serious fight as UVA gets better and better under new staff. Old Dominion is a solid team. They beat Virginia Tech 20-17. VT did lose to East Carolina 21-39 but East Carolina is solid as well as they beat NC State 21-20. The team better take this week serious and better be up for this or this could be a bad trap game for us. Even though we are significantly better, I think we win in a close one.

Edit: lost to NC State 21-20.

Last edited:
not an easy game by any means, but a game we absolutely should/need to win. As far as advantage on the coaching side, Anae and Beck know their defensive weaknesses by going against them in practice every day, that is a big advantage over their players having knowledge of the Anae playbook at UVA, because Anae's SU playbook is different
Different overall defensive scheme in use now. They would know strengths/weaknesses of the individual players.

Last edited:
I don't like that Isaiah Jones is out for season. I also don't like that Shrader is banged up. I expect this game to be a serious fight as UVA gets better and better under new staff. Old Dominion is a solid team. They beat Virginia Tech 20-17. VT did lose to East Carolina 21-39 but East Carolina is solid as well as they beat NC State 21-20. The team better take this week serious and better be up for this or this could be a bad trap game for us. Even though we are significantly better, I think we win in a close one.
NC State beat East Carolina 21-20, but point still valid.

ECU lost 21-20 to NC St but get your point.
Good news for us is not really a trap game given Wagner isn't on the minds of anyone. It's 100 pct UVA, a packed Dome and a desire to keep stacking wins up. Jones is a rough loss. Cooper, Gadsden and Jackson have emerged as our main guys, we have some talent and now opportunities for guys behind them. We also have Tucker who if not for GS being out of sync - would have had another big game as a receiver.

Illinois gashed UVA on the ground. Richmond ran for 170 on the ground vs them. They did better vs ODU but this should be much different running the ball vs it was against Purdue.

Also- Tommy had a nice game but still missed easy plays and stalled drives against UVA. That game probably should have been 40-3.

Last edited:
Virginia fans on 247 think we are a easy win lmfao.

Virginia fans on Sabre.com don't.
The 247 site seems to be a bunch of still-wet-behind-the-ears 25-30 somethings who are willing to pay for the premium, while the older part of the fanbase is on The Sabre. The few posts on 247 I was allowed to read as a non-VIP totally turned me off to them.