Present at the Creation of GOR: or why Swofford is a ninja | Syracusefan.com

Present at the Creation of GOR: or why Swofford is a ninja

arbitragegls

All Conference
...like to be involved with the goings on...here is an accurate story from the News-Observer on how Swofford saved the ACC--or at least the actions and transactions to make it happen. Here too is ESPN willing to up the yearly dollars to the ACC for bringing in the GOR.

In the article below, it is also confirmed as previously indicated that all 15 universities have signed on to the GOR...yes that includes 'Cuse, Pitt, Louisville and Notre Dame. Whether it will take 12 more years to get Notre Dame to sign on full-time is still something to be debated...but the course of action is that Notre Dame and the ACC have pretty much locked into a future together...and not just in all sports minus football. Here are a few highlights of the article:
  • It was a Friday when the ACC’s presidents scheduled the vote to decide the grant of rights. April 19. Swofford organized a 7 a.m. conference call.
He was confident it would pass but still, there were some last-second doubts. For the grant of rights to be adopted, every one of the league’s 15 presidents – including ones at Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville – had to vote yes.
  • By then, the results of Swofford’s negotiations with ESPN had become clearer. It appeared likely that ACC schools would receive an average of more than $20 million per year in television revenue.
  • During the meeting, Swofford and Jordan told Haggard what the grant of rights could do for the league. There was talk about an ACC channel down the line and the revenue that could generate.
    “The connection with the ACC and ESPN (won me over),” Haggard said. “The idea of a possible television (channel) with the ACC,that it would be $5 million more a year ..., if we could do that. And probably more than that.”
    OOPs...and potentially another $5,000,000 per team or more in the initial years of the ACC NETWORK...now the $$$ are beginning to ad up...
  • http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/05/04/2871296/inside-the-deal-how-john-swofford.html
  • I believe based on conversations that the ACC network is moving forward...it will prove interesting what ESPN has up its sleeve since both the SEC Network and the coming ACC Network will be owned by ESPN and not a third party. Hear that even Raycom is going to be happy.
    So no need to worry about what other boards are indicating...the waves are calm and the movement continues forward...delightful isn't it...
  • It is good to be 'Cuse!!! :)

This is all Monopoly paper to me now...

TL;DR: Now that everyone has signed the GOR, Syracuse stands to make a boatload of money.

Plus bowl money, not the least of which is Orange Bowl money. Assuming the $5M is within the ballpark, in total one is getting dam close to $30M without counting ticket revenue, concessions, parking and apparel licensing fees. Can someone please put a shovel in the ground for the IPF?

...like to be involved with the goings on...here is an accurate story from the News-Observer on how Swofford saved the ACC--or at least the actions and transactions to make it happen. Here too is ESPN willing to up the yearly dollars to the ACC for bringing in the GOR.

In the article below, it is also confirmed as previously indicated that all 15 universities have signed on to the GOR...yes that includes 'Cuse, Pitt, Louisville and Notre Dame. Whether it will take 12 more years to get Notre Dame to sign on full-time is still something to be debated...but the course of action is that Notre Dame and the ACC have pretty much locked into a future together...and not just in all sports minus football. Here are a few highlights of the article:
  • It was a Friday when the ACC’s presidents scheduled the vote to decide the grant of rights. April 19. Swofford organized a 7 a.m. conference call.
He was confident it would pass but still, there were some last-second doubts. For the grant of rights to be adopted, every one of the league’s 15 presidents – including ones at Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse and Louisville – had to vote yes.

• By then, the results of Swofford’s negotiations with ESPN had become clearer. It appeared likely that ACC schools would receive an average of more than $20 million per year in television revenue.
  • During the meeting, Swofford and Jordan told Haggard what the grant of rights could do for the league. There was talk about an ACC channel down the line and the revenue that could generate.
    “The connection with the ACC and ESPN (won me over),” Haggard said. “The idea of a possible television (channel) with the ACC,that it would be $5 million more a year ..., if we could do that. And probably more than that.”
    OOPs...and potentially another $5,000,000 per team or more in the initial years of the ACC NETWORK...now the $$$ are beginning to ad up...
  • http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/05/04/2871296/inside-the-deal-how-john-swofford.html
  • I believe based on conversations that the ACC network is moving forward...it will prove interesting what ESPN has up its sleeve since both the SEC Network and the coming ACC Network will be owned by ESPN and not a third party. Hear that even Raycom is going to be happy.
    So no need to worry about what other boards are indicating...the waves are calm and the movement continues forward...delightful isn't it...

Why would ND have to sign and are they getting the same $20m as everyone else and why should they?

Sent using my Commodore 64

Why would ND have to sign and are they getting the same $20m as everyone else and why should they?

No we aren't getting 20 million yearly. 4/5 million is what seems to be the expected number I've seen. We signed the GoR for all our other sports,we're married to the ACC (minus Football).

My understanding on the ACC pay structure (based on Swofford's comments at the ND introductory press conference) is that the revenue is dispersed on an 80% football, 20% "everything else" basis. nzm & I discussed this on another board awhile back and I came to the conclusion that Notre Dame would thus receive 1.25% of whatever the total annual ACC TV package ends up being (we get 6.6%). nzm's numbers differed slightly, but we're in the same ballpark (also keep in mind the conference takes a full share). If someone has a different understanding, feel free to chime in. ND mostly joined the ACC for the bowl access, better home for olympic sports, presence in East Coast markets, and the ability to stay independent in football (i.e. NBC money). They didn't necessarily join because the ACC is giving them a pile of cash (although the money's obviously not too shabby).

Consider GOR "ties to bind"...Notre Dame is not going anywhere but the ACC...as indicated all teams signed the GOR as Notre Dame did with the exit fee also. The ACC "won" Notre Dame...consider it a betrothal that for the next 12-13 years appears knotted...I wonder how many years before Notre Dame begins playing more than 5 football games against the ACC...
Did anyone really think that the ACC was going to "offer" Notre Dame a home without a lock of some kind...did anyone really think Notre Dame would not bring at the very least some $$$ and competition to the ACC...remember that Delany whined that it was Notre Dame and ACC's association that moved the B1G on Maryland in hopes of getting other ACC teams---Notre Dame is that big a brand
...and finally, above post by OrangeChris is fairly right on...Notre Dame does not receive an equal percentage to the $20,000,000 piece...but probably is getting between $3.5-$5.5...and just know that Notre Dame has brought a lot to the ACC it is not one sided!

ND signed for an ACC network. ND football, hockey and football related programming will be owned by NBC/NBCSN, but anything else would be available for the ACC network. For ESPN to want to flex its muscles for an ACC network they want all 15 teams married to the ACC. With ND onboard and they have good Olympic Sports programs and have a national name will help with marketing for the ACC network.

My understanding on the ACC pay structure (based on Swofford's comments at the ND introductory press conference) is that the revenue is dispersed on an 80% football, 20% "everything else" basis. nzm & I discussed this on another board awhile back and I came to the conclusion that Notre Dame would thus receive 1.25% of whatever the total annual ACC TV package ends up being (we get 6.6%). nzm's numbers differed slightly, but we're in the same ballpark (also keep in mind the conference takes a full share). If someone has a different understanding, feel free to chime in. ND mostly joined the ACC for the bowl access, better home for olympic sports, presence in East Coast markets, and the ability to stay independent in football (i.e. NBC money). They didn't necessarily join because the ACC is giving them a pile of cash (although the money's obviously not too shabby).

Doesn't ND also get something for their 5 game per year football deal with the ACC? Yes, obviously they get membership in the ACC for all their other sports and NBC I would assume owns the home games they play against the ACC teams but what about the away games? Do they just get a guarantee or do they get a piece of the football tv money too?

Having never been part of the Big East, I don't really know how it was. But as an outside observer, I'll ask. Isn't this much better than listening to Mike Tranghese whine? Or how about the clueless looks on John Marinatto's face? Just sayin. LOL!

Having never been part of the Big East, I don't really know how it was. But as an outside observer, I'll ask. Isn't this much better than listening to Mike Tranghese whine? Or how about the clueless looks on John Marinatto's face? Just sayin. LOL!

Ummm...yes. Much better. But I don't blame Tranghese as much as Marinatto. He fell asleep at the wheel.

If it were possible, I'd like this post twice.

Doesn't ND also get something for their 5 game per year football deal with the ACC? Yes, obviously they get membership in the ACC for all their other sports and NBC I would assume owns the home games they play against the ACC teams but what about the away games? Do they just get a guarantee or do they get a piece of the football tv money too?

The rights to any road game ND plays against ACC teams is controlled by the ACC/ESPN, IIRC.

The Big East's biggest mistake was not voting Penn State in originally.

The ACC's biggest was not inviting PSU at the same time it invited FSU.

The Big East voted down PSU 3-5, but even if in 1982 they had voted them and Pitt both in, PSU would have left once the Big Ten invite was on the table. PSU twice withdrew from A10, once in 1979 sliding a note under the commissioner's door and then again when the BiG called.

PSU had already accepted the BiG invite when the ACC decided to expand. I believe it was in direct response to the PSU move that Corrigan convinced the ACC presidents they needed to get stronger in football.

But if the BiG hadn't made the PSU move, the correct move back then would have been PSU, FSU, Miami, and SU to get to 12 like Slive did with the SEC the same summer that the ACC expanded to 9.

All 20-20 hindsight now.

Cheers,
Neil

The Big East voted down PSU 3-5, but even if in 1982 they had voted them and Pitt both in, PSU would have left once the Big Ten invite was on the table. PSU twice withdrew from A10, once in 1979 sliding a note under the commissioner's door and then again when the BiG called.

PSU had already accepted the BiG invite when the ACC decided to expand. I believe it was in direct response to the PSU move that Corrigan convinced the ACC presidents they needed to get stronger in football.

But if the BiG hadn't made the PSU move, the correct move back then would have been PSU, FSU, Miami, and SU to get to 12 like Slive did with the SEC the same summer that the ACC expanded to 9.

All 20-20 hindsight now.

Cheers,
Neil

THAT would have been an incredible east coast conference, in all sports. Can you imagine what a league with that could have commanded for media rights? Awesome.

Again, this is just my hazy understanding of it, so I could be way off, but...

Say the ESPN TV deal pays $300 million this year (it doesn't, it's likely much less than that, but let's work with a round number). The ACC considers 80% of that "football money" and splits it 15 ways: 14 all-sport members + a full share for the conference. So $240 million is football money, and each all-sport school gets $16 million (note that this wouldn't include each school's cut from the other 20% of the pie). Notre Dame sees none of that money.

Notre Dame has to play ACC schools 5 times per season. Year 1 they play 3 home (L'ville, UNC, Wake) & 2 away (FSU, 'Cuse). Year 2 they play 2 home (BC, Georgia Tech) & 3 away (Clemson, Pitt, UVA). The teams will obviously change each season, but the 3 home/2 away followed by 2 home/3 away cycle will continue every 2 seasons for the duration of the ACC/ND "partnership."

When an ACC team plays @ ND, the broadcast rights to that game are controlled by Notre Dame, and their value is reflected in the recently re-upped NBC deal, of which Notre Dame keeps every cent and the ACC gets nothing.

When Notre Dame plays @ an ACC team, the broadcast rights to that game are controlled by the ACC, and their value is reflected in the increased ESPN deal, of which the ACC & its all-sports member institutions keep every cent of the football money (80%) and Notre Dame gets nothing.

In essence, the ACC gets the TV value of an average of 2.5 Notre Dame games each season, which boosted the overall value of our deal with ESPN after we invited ND to join. In the completely random (and made up) $300 million example I used above, Syracuse would get $19.75 million and Notre Dame would get $3.75 million.

A more interesting question is how the bowl payouts would work, and this is a tad murky for me. As you know, Notre Dame will receive access to the ACC's bowl lineup (one of their main incentives for joining). At first blush, an ACC fan might complain about ND "stealing" a conference member's bowl spot, forcing them to play in a lesser bowl than they feel is deserved. However, let's not forget that the availability of Notre Dame to bowl partners will likely result in an improved bowl lineup, as potential bowls would be eager for a "chance" to have ND in their game.

I believe the ACC pools all bowl payouts into one collective pot. That's a bit of an oversimplification, since I think you do get to retain some of the payout (not sure though), and there are allowances for travel expenses, etc. However, a big chunk of that bowl check is still going into the pool. The money is then paid out equally across all conference members, even if your school didn't make a bowl game. This also means that getting 2 ACC schools into the college football playoffs (or even the Orange Bowl + 1 access bowl spot) would yield a nice return for Syracuse even if we're not one of those schools.

Notre Dame though, I assume gets to keep all of the payout from their appearance in one of "our" bowls (which is kind of an unfair way to phrase it, since they're essentially ND's bowls too). That money does not go into the pool. In other words, it's better for the ACC financially if Notre Dame ends up in the Belk Bowl than if they end up in the Gator Bowl (assuming we land that one), since you want the higher paying of the two bowls to go into the pool. You also might want to root for Notre Dame (anathema to some, I know) to make the playoffs, provided they don't take a spot away from an ACC team, since then they're not getting any of the money from our bowl lineup.

This might surprise you, but the ACC was looking at Syracuse but we had just formed the Big East and didn't pursue as we should have.

This might surprise you, but the ACC was looking at Syracuse but we had just formed the Big East and didn't pursue as we should have.
When the ACC finally decided to expand in 1991 (bby one team), the conference members did a blind vote to determine who to invite. The vote ended in a tie between Syracuse and FSU. When the ACC approached Syracuse, SU did not show much interest (the BE football conference was just getting going). FSU was extremely enthusiastic, so it was a no brainer for the ACC to send an invitation to the Seminoles.

The ACC has been after Syracuse for at least 23 years. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.

In 1990 both Florida State and Syracuse were considered for membership in the ACC.

http://articles.courant.com/2003-06...big-east-acc-acc-president-acc-expansion-plan
Also, in 1998 Mike Tranghese tried to create a Big East-ACC football alliance and protect Big East basketball and the small Catholic schools, but the ACC didn't want to enter a hybrid relationship. Big East was doomed to fail as long as their were basketball onlies and football playing schools.

When the ACC finally decided to expand in 1991 (bby one team), the conference members did a blind vote to determine who to invite. The vote ended in a tie between Syracuse and FSU. When the ACC approached Syracuse, SU did not show much interest (the BE football conference was just getting going). FSU was extremely enthusiastic, so it was a no brainer for the ACC to send an invitation to the Seminoles.

The ACC has been after Syracuse for at least 23 years. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know what they are talking about.

I did not know this - I vote Tomcat as Master Ninja!

7 a.m. conference call? Christ, Swofford.

That, I did not know. But, I am not surprised. SU was top 10 in both sports at that time, IIRC.

Adding both would have been a home run. But, I believe Coach Boeheim preferred to stay with your longtime BE hoops rivals at that time.

I have always believed that the BE FB schools should've split off, and, formed their own league. It would've been good in both sports.

In 1990 both Florida State and Syracuse were considered for membership in the ACC.

http://articles.courant.com/2003-06...big-east-acc-acc-president-acc-expansion-plan
Also, in 1998 Mike Tranghese tried to create a Big East-ACC football alliance and protect Big East basketball and the small Catholic schools, but the ACC didn't want to enter a hybrid relationship. Big East was doomed to fail as long as their were basketball onlies and football playing schools.

You bring up an astute point. In addition to the '98 meeting, he and Jake Crouthmael (sp?) met with Swofford, former NCSU AD Les Robinson, and, former FSU AD Dave Hart in Atlanta to offer Miami, BC, and, Syracuse to the ACC. He has never denied this meeting, to my knowledge.

Which made him the biggest hypocrite in college athletics when he accused the ACC of 'operating in the dark.' He was selling out the rest of the FB-playing schools to protect basketball.