Princeton Game Preview (4/8/23, Noon) | Syracusefan.com

Princeton Game Preview (4/8/23, Noon)

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
I've been a little surprised at the amount of confidence posters have about this particular game. The Tigers aren't having the type of season they probably expected (they were a preseason top 5 team, right now ranked 15th), but they are still very talented. They are coming off of two big wins over Yale and Brown. I think most people see a team that struggles on face-offs and see an opening. The bad news is last week SU faced a team below 50% at the dot and ended up getting dominated there. Just because a team is struggling at the face-off spot, doesn't mean SU has the horses to exploit this weakness. We shall see.

Princeton has one of the better attackmen in the nation in Colter Mackesey who leads the team in scoring with 41 points in eight games. In the last two games he had 16 points combined in wins over Brown and Yale. I have to imagine that Saam Olexo draws this matchup if Landon Clary is still out. The Tigers have struggled to replace their leading scorer from last year in Chris Brown, as they haven't got a ton of production from the other two attack spots. Also it seems like Alex Slusher, who scored 56 points last year, has been injured the last two games. Jackson Ringhofer and Lukas Stanat started last week against Brown and combined for five points. Stanat is 6'4 195, so I expect Dwan to draw that matchup. The bad news for the Orange is Princeton gets a good amount of production from their midfield. The starting trio of Sam English, Christian Ronda and Alex Vardaro are very good. Their numbers are down a bit this season but they are Princeton's leading scorers after Mackesey. SU's issues on defense this season have stemmed from their defensive midfield and this might be the most talented unit they've faced this year. Perhaps they double pole the unit?

On defense it looks like the Tigers have moved to Michael Gianforcaro as their full time starter after he split halves with Griffin Rakower. He has a good save percentage at 57% so the Orange will have to be patient on offense. Overall the Tigers have the 17th most efficient defense in the country according to Lacrosse Reference. The Orange have dropped to 25th after being ranked in the top 20 a few weeks ago. On offense, one thing I noticed in the Notre Dame game was the Orange moved away from using a second midfield late in the game, relying on just the first unit of Thomson, Leo and Simmons. I do not like this strategy as I think it reeks of desperation and will eventually tire your top unit out. I like the first unit but with Birtwistle on the second line, I think you're hurting the team by not rotating the two lines close to equal. Birtwistle has 20 goals on the year, he needs to see the ball and play more.

Ultimately I do think the Tigers are trending in the right direction whereas the Orange are still a bit in no man's land. This is a great opportunity for the Orange to get on track before the last three games of the season. Princeton I think is better than their record indicates. A win probably doesn't do much for their playoff chances since the Tigers don't have any big out of conference wins (they lost to Maryland, Georgetown and Rutgers) but it would certainly help. The Orange will really have to scrap for face-off wins and be really efficient on offense. The Tigers lost their main FOGO Tyler Sandoval and their backup Koby Ginder has just a 47% winning percentage. I'm a bit surprised their haven't used their freshman Andrew McMeekan who was a top recruit. Still, the Tigers have a better percentage than the Orange right now. If there ever was a game for Fine and Richusa to step up, it's this one.

I've been a little surprised at the amount of confidence posters have about this particular game. The Tigers aren't having the type of season they probably expected (they were a preseason top 5 team, right now ranked 15th), but they are still very talented. They are coming off of two big wins over Yale and Brown. I think most people see a team that struggles on face-offs and see an opening. The bad news is last week SU faced a team below 50% at the dot and ended up getting dominated there. Just because a team is struggling at the face-off spot, doesn't mean SU has the horses to exploit this weakness. We shall see.

Princeton has one of the better attackmen in the nation in Colter Mackesey who leads the team in scoring with 41 points in eight games. In the last two games he had 16 points combined in wins over Brown and Yale. I have to imagine that Saam Olexo draws this matchup if Landon Clary is still out. The Tigers have struggled to replace their leading scorer from last year in Chris Brown, as they haven't got a ton of production from the other two attack spots. Also it seems like Alex Slusher, who scored 56 points last year, has been injured the last two games. Jackson Ringhofer and Lukas Stanat started last week against Brown and combined for five points. Stanat is 6'4 195, so I expect Dwan to draw that matchup. The bad news for the Orange is Princeton gets a good amount of production from their midfield. The starting trio of Sam English, Christian Ronda and Alex Vardaro are very good. Their numbers are down a bit this season but they are Princeton's leading scorers after Mackesey. SU's issues on defense this season have stemmed from their defensive midfield and this might be the most talented unit they've faced this year. Perhaps they double pole the unit?

On defense it looks like the Tigers have moved to Michael Gianforcaro as their full time starter after he split halves with Griffin Rakower. He has a good save percentage at 57% so the Orange will have to be patient on offense. Overall the Tigers have the 17th most efficient defense in the country according to Lacrosse Reference. The Orange have dropped to 25th after being ranked in the top 20 a few weeks ago. On offense, one thing I noticed in the Notre Dame game was the Orange moved away from using a second midfield late in the game, relying on just the first unit of Thomson, Leo and Simmons. I do not like this strategy as I think it reeks of desperation and will eventually tire your top unit out. I like the first unit but with Birtwistle on the second line, I think you're hurting the team by not rotating the two lines close to equal. Birtwistle has 20 goals on the year, he needs to see the ball and play more.

Ultimately I do think the Tigers are trending in the right direction whereas the Orange are still a bit in no man's land. This is a great opportunity for the Orange to get on track before the last three games of the season. Princeton I think is better than their record indicates. A win probably doesn't do much for their playoff chances since the Tigers don't have any big out of conference wins (they lost to Maryland, Georgetown and Rutgers) but it would certainly help. The Orange will really have to scrap for face-off wins and be really efficient on offense. The Tigers lost their main FOGO Tyler Sandoval and their backup Koby Ginder has just a 47% winning percentage. I'm a bit surprised their haven't used their freshman Andrew McMeekan who was a top recruit. Still, the Tigers have a better percentage than the Orange right now. If there ever was a game for Fine and Richusa to step up, it's this one.
It's funny but if u really go back and watch each game the DMs don't get beat much more then any other teams DMs. Every team u watch there DMs get beat some as every single team attacks the DMs all game long. Our poles get beat plenty too. I think we have 3 solid DMs while no not AA types but solid. U seem to say this a lot yet I go watch Virginia play Maryland and there DMs are getting attacked and beat just as much and sometimes more then ours. Seems like you don't see our poles getting beat to which I don't know how. 1 issue we have with the DMs is playing the 1st line way to much. They did it the Maryland and Duke games Rice and Murphy played 90% of the shifts and u can see they were exhausted thru out the game. Due to not trusting Rosa and Trujillo. Now with Aviles back they play way to much. Really I would run a 3 man rotation with Aviles, Rice and Murphy while using Rosa when they have to. I like Rosa he's tough but he's way to slow. I see u say Murphy didn't work out yet go back and watch how many goals his guy scored on him all season? Since he let up the Duke winner which he was obviously exhausted he had got beat once at Hofstra, and once agajnst Hobart when he fell down.. I don't wanna hear oh well Mark made a save yes he's the goalie so if he takes a shot and it's saved it can also be he took a bad shot and the goalie makes saves. Just like our poles or other DMs get beat and he makes a save. Now the Duke game he got beat twice which again the last one he was exhausted then Maryland he got beat by Owen Murphy for a goal that's it. Before Maryland he didn't get beat for any goals. He was using his checks a lot the first few games causing turnovers and also likes to play aggressive on up on his guy but can only play how he is told to play as the checks mostly disappeared since the 2 CTs Vs Maryland. Now obviously I know Will Mark and Murphy well from LIU so I watch them every game and root for them. I just laugh when ur mainly the only one who says these things about the DMs. I think all 3 are solid. Again not All Americans but in no way is the DMs the reason the team has lost or the D isn't great. Ur giving to much credit to the poles and blaming the DMs without really seeing who is letting up goals. All DMs on every team let up goals there attacked all game. Dearth got beat many times to go back to the Georgetown tournament game. Now Dearth is nasty but again DMs get beat just like Virginia's do and Marylands. So I'm sorry every game u complain about the DMs yet they hold there own just like others have said here except pretty much you. Rosa does get beat a lot he's not fast enough or athletic enough which is why I don't get why we don't run a 3 man rotation and also make a change at the wing, I like Rosa he's tough so as the 4th when needed sure. I like all ur post I do but I just don't get how u can't understand that every teams DMs will get beat at times and will draw slides at times. If u don't believe me about the goals let up go back and watch every game and then tell me what other goals his guy scored on him? I know u can't because I have watched every game and specifically watch my two guys. I also watch a lot of other ACC games and watch every other teams DMs get attacked and let up goals but when ours do there the worst in the history of lacrosse according to you. Lmao one more time this team isn't losing because of the DMs and our DMs don't get beat much more then every other teams DMs including the top 5 ranked teams. You should watch more games and specifically the DMs u will see them get attacked and beat some every game just like ours. Sorry for the long rant all and no paragraphs I just had to say something when only one person on here completely destroys our DMs like this team can't beat a ranked team all because of our DMs. It's all on them. Lmao

AD31 does mention the problem, even while defending the ssdms. We only have full confidence in three guys. Those three guys, while not incompetent, get tired out quickly and it costs us in 1v1 D and rotations as the game goes on. Dont think Powellfan is wrong to call that out as a crucial issue. Maybe it is wrong to say that they are the only issue, but I dont think that is really what he is saying. But lack of depth there creates problems for the D as a whole.

I agree with A31 that the problems do go beyond ssdm this year. Part of that is no Figueras all year and no Clary since the Duke game. Sageder got beat a couple times against ND. Chis Kav got the better of Dwan a couple times. Kol has been beat at times or needed a slide in quite a few games now. Even Caccamo had a rough day at the office 1v1 against UNC. Our struggles in 1v1 D are more across the board than just ssdms. We have needed to use Olexo all over the place just to have a guy to match up with teams fastest players.

I think the main D problem is still the overall team defense. Guys are sliding in a quick and disorganized way. They are too quick to slide. They take their eyes of their man because they are thinking about sliding. A lot of that probably stems Petro, but with better personnel comes better confidence in staying with your man and not creating offense by sliding. Penalties are an issue every game (but to his credit man down D has been good).

Another is that we aren't willing to try anyone outside of those three on the wing, which is pretty insane. I get that if you lose the faceoff then you are stuck with an incompetent ssdm on D, but we can't afford to tire our three main guys out any more than they already are. Is that more Gaits wheelhouse or Petro? Chose whichever coach you feel more like hating today.

Holy paragraph.
Haha I'm sorry I am I just went on a rant. I don't know why he rips our DMs so much. Are they the best out there no but there not the worst or horrible. Can we use so more talent next yr sure but to make it like they get beat so much more then every other teams do and this defense is bad because of them and the team can't beat a ranked team because of them is nonsense. Every game I watch the DMs are attacked all game long and they all get beat here and there. Even the top ones get beat. Donte Trader is a tough physical athlete who starts at Maryland at safety and is now playing DM there. He is legit nasty and yet go watch them play he gets beat once in a while. Jackson B beat him for a goal. He got beat vs Michigan and also vs ND yet u can't tell me many other DMs that can cover man to man as good as him. I don't care that he hasn't played lax in yrs the kid knows how to play defense. His footwork, his hips and his physicality is top notch but as a DM ur attacked all game long and u will get beat once in a while I don't care who u are. I'm not comparing our guys to him either no they are not as good as him but the point I'm making is that position is so tough to play u get attacked all game and u have a short stick not a pole. Also different coaches have different styles of play as I love Troy Reh style of play at LIU which is where Murphy learned to check and started causing turn overs like crazy after. The Vermont game and to Maryland he used it a lot it is part of his game but the old style is DMs don't throw checks. Troy Reh is younger and plays in the PLL so he's more of a newer way. Not saying anything bad about Petro the man knows defense just different styles. Also Troy likes u up on ur man forcing him to make a move not waiting while giving em space and letting them dictate where they are going. He likes u to dictate and force them wear to go. It's tough letting someone attack u and having to catch up and run with them. I played a lot of football and DB and I know I rather get up on a guy, play physical and force him using my technique and body to force them where they don't want to go. I know it was a big adjustment for Murphy he's been molded already for 4 yrs and transferred in he's not a young freshman who u can mold a different way. I know for sure he struggled having to play a different way then he's used to. Anyway sorry about no paragraphs and Powell I enjoy it previews and ur posts I'm not attacking u I just don't agree about the DMs. There not AA type players but there solid. Just could use more and yes maybe a bigger more physical one who can match up with guys like Dobson. We really only have 3 who can hold there own but all 3 are built similar and same style. Aviles is good and very athletic and yes he gets beat once in a while but he's not a terrible SSDM.

AD31 does mention the problem, even while defending the ssdms. We only have full confidence in three guys. Those three guys, while not incompetent, get tired out quickly and it costs us in 1v1 D and rotations as the game goes on. Dont think Powellfan is wrong to call that out as a crucial issue. Maybe it is wrong to say that they are the only issue, but I dont think that is really what he is saying. But lack of depth there creates problems for the D as a whole.

I agree with A31 that the problems do go beyond ssdm this year. Part of that is no Figueras all year and no Clary since the Duke game. Sageder got beat a couple times against ND. Chis Kav got the better of Dwan a couple times. Kol has been beat at times or needed a slide in quite a few games now. Even Caccamo had a rough day at the office 1v1 against UNC. Our struggles in 1v1 D are more across the board than just ssdms. We have needed to use Olexo all over the place just to have a guy to match up with teams fastest players.

I think the main D problem is still the overall team defense. Guys are sliding in a quick and disorganized way. They are too quick to slide. They take their eyes of their man because they are thinking about sliding. A lot of that probably stems Petro, but with better personnel comes better confidence in staying with your man and not creating offense by sliding. Penalties are an issue every game (but to his credit man down D has been good).

Another is that we aren't willing to try anyone outside of those three on the wing, which is pretty insane. I get that if you lose the faceoff then you are stuck with an incompetent ssdm on D, but we can't afford to tire our three main guys out any more than they already are. Is that more Gaits wheelhouse or Petro? Chose whichever coach you feel more like hating today.
U said it perfect it's more about the whole D and it effects the whole D. Can't just blame all the problems on the short sticks. Losing Fig hurt big time. He could cover a teams top guy and the others or covering guys they can handle then. Alexo is best as a LSM but have to move him around to which is throwing off the whole D too. It's a lot of different reasons the D has issues against top teams. It's not good enough to lose guys and play guys in different positions. Losing Clary has hurt big time too. Hopefully he's back this weekX

Using the same 3 on wing blows my mind to be honest. We all know were struggling with face offs and also have been struggling for two yrs finding wings who can scoop GBs. I don't care if they gotta put Cole Kurst out there to fight for a GB if it works the do it. Have to get more possessions and worry about getting guys off the field after that. I rather be stuck with someone out there and have the possession then have our SSDM out there on defense every draw because we can't get GBs. This team is not good enough to give other top teams double the possessions. Also ur asking to much of ur defense. How could they make stops the end of the ND game they were exhausted. Playing a team like ND with all that talent u can't cover there guys while sucking for wind and expect a good outcome.

I think a lot of the confidence in this game is the feeling of Princeton also struggling facing off and if ever there was a chance of us getting closer to 50% it’s this game. Thunk if we do manage that then we have a very good chance more possessions simplified means less D and more O

such weird scheduling no? how can the orange be done playing in the dome by april 1? no more home games the rest of the season? its kind of crazy to end with 4 straight on the road! maybe this was discussed when the schedule came out but this it the first im seeing of it. imagine if they were really in the hunt and every game was must win and none of them were at home? wait, that's exactly what is happening

back to princeton. syracuse can win this one but the defense will have to find an answer for the tiger midfield as powellfan said. that is the whole ballgame. limit that group and make everyone else beat you. if princeton's second middies or attackmen (besides mackesy) beat you then you tip your cap. but u cant let those middies go off. be physical with them. they are slick and can shoot but arent the biggest guys in the world

Now it was against st bonnies, still their top line , but tenaglia played dmid. He has speed and didn’t do terrible in the short time he was on field. Why not see if he be willing to give it shot. Also if like to see that d3 transfer maby he was we got last year. Begins with F. He started or least played a lot in beginning of last year. Why not throw him on wing. He seem to have speed and aggressive. I believe problem is depth and over playing Every one on team. We don’t play many people run same guys in n out. Of course their gonna get tired. I understand with game on line with under 4mins left throwing ur best guys out mostly. I always said play diff guys early in game like first half. Give ur starters breather then so by 4th hopefully have their 2nd wind to finish game strong. We do have some big dudes on team some d poles some not. Ask if anyone willing to switch. I’d bet least one or two guys say yes if means may get on field. As for princeton they def can’t overlook this team and offense and defense plus mark have to bring their game. It’s just bout desperate time to get dubs as ever. Let’s go cuse !!!!

Now it was against st bonnies, still their top line , but tenaglia played dmid. He has speed and didn’t do terrible in the short time he was on field. Why not see if he be willing to give it shot. Also if like to see that d3 transfer maby he was we got last year. Begins with F. He started or least played a lot in beginning of last year. Why not throw him on wing. He seem to have speed and aggressive. I believe problem is depth and over playing Every one on team. We don’t play many people run same guys in n out. Of course their gonna get tired. I understand with game on line with under 4mins left throwing ur best guys out mostly. I always said play diff guys early in game like first half. Give ur starters breather then so by 4th hopefully have their 2nd wind to finish game strong. We do have some big dudes on team some d poles some not. Ask if anyone willing to switch. I’d bet least one or two guys say yes if means may get on field. As for princeton they def can’t overlook this team and offense and defense plus mark have to bring their game. It’s just bout desperate time to get dubs as ever. Let’s go cuse !!!!
Bolea the D 3 kid tore his ACL the first game he got a shot at PT. Shame his last yr of eligibility and finally got a shot at PT and gets hurt. I said I bet he would be a dog on the wing. He was on his highlights from D 3 which has nothing to do with level of comp it's all about being a ball hawk. Either u got it or u don't. A lot of it is heart and just a knack for scooping Gbs. Anyway try some guys out u never know who might suprise. Even if you have to get em off the field ASAP so what they get the possession and dump it off. Could be the difference in winning a few of these games. This team has played tight games with 3 teams in the top 6 and two of them gave up double the possessions. Find a ball hawk and maybe they get a W. Even if ur not scoring ur also giving the defense a break. That 4th Q against ND the D was on the field the whole Q. Of course they went on an 8 - 0 run. ND players are hard enough to cover so expecting them to cover them gassed is just not gonna happen.

Bolea the D 3 kid tore his ACL the first game he got a shot at PT. Shame his last yr of eligibility and finally got a shot at PT and gets hurt. I said I bet he would be a dog on the wing. He was on his highlights from D 3 which has nothing to do with level of comp it's all about being a ball hawk. Either u got it or u don't. A lot of it is heart and just a knack for scooping Gbs. Anyway try some guys out u never know who might suprise. Even if you have to get em off the field ASAP so what they get the possession and dump it off. Could be the difference in winning a few of these games. This team has played tight games with 3 teams in the top 6 and two of them gave up double the possessions. Find a ball hawk and maybe they get a W. Even if ur not scoring ur also giving the defense a break. That 4th Q against ND the D was on the field the whole Q. Of course they went on an 8 - 0 run. ND players are hard enough to cover so expecting them to cover them gassed is just not gonna happen.

He's thinking of Nick Fraterrigo from Lemoyne.

We get Princeton at home in 2024.

We're reevaluating the whole schedule.

I am going to guess that …

Maryland will be off the schedule (home and home has concluded).

The additional two ACC games will be no more (thought I heard this somewhere but can’t remember where).

Hofstra will be at home (again home and home).

Maybe see Cornell and Army back on the schedule?

Hopkins away.

Will they ever play at Hobart again?

Assume Albany on the schedule but here or there?

Curious if Vermont remains. Usually they do home and home with non conference opponents but I can’t see SU going up to Burlington in early February.

That leaves St Bonnie’s and Holy Cross. Not sure it makes sense to play both schools again.

that’s it sorry was fettrigo sry some reason thought came from d3 not realizing was lemoyne

agree with your stuff here. Ssdms cannot be measured as individuals. Many times they are not beaten because a long has had to hedge or slide to their men and in that moment the ball finds the spot left by the long for a goal. Which d was defeated,the short or the long or the late second slide. D is a system. One wrong move by the long behind can disrupt the whole group, ssdms and longs. It also explains the reason the top ds are usually on winning teams. They are able to cover the best opponents without help, simplifying the dynamics and preventing goals alone. All six ds have to reach a level of competence that reduces the need for help to a manageable level. When an ssdm loses ground to his cover a high proportion of the time, the d group suffers and looks bad. I count the number of times a short requires a hedge or a slide when I think about his ability. I think it is a better measure of his impact on the team than when his man circles him completely, although that too is an indicator.

I am going to guess that …

Maryland will be off the schedule (home and home has concluded).

The additional two ACC games will be no more (thought I heard this somewhere but can’t remember where).

Hofstra will be at home (again home and home).

Maybe see Cornell and Army back on the schedule?

Hopkins away.

Will they ever play at Hobart again?

Assume Albany on the schedule but here or there?

Curious if Vermont remains. Usually they do home and home with non conference opponents but I can’t see SU going up to Burlington in early February.

That leaves St Bonnie’s and Holy Cross. Not sure it makes sense to play both schools again.

We're back to 4 conference games.

Cornell should be back. Scheduling conflict took them off this season.

If we keep playing UAlbany in February, it will be here.

With two less ACC games we have a lot more flexibility.

We could swap Bingo for Holy Cross.

I’d like to see them at like a nova or denver to schedule. Teams that normally are very decent and compete or considered to be. Plus use to play nova back in big east days n denver. Plus if played nova at nova wouldn’t have to travel 7hrs twice a year up to dome to watch boys play. So yes def bias when comes to playing nova a bit lol.

I’d say out of a 14 game schedule maby put 3 teams you def should beat maby 2 of them being first two games n then go with teams that mostly end up between 10-25 every year. Then every game is first decent team with some games being vs very good teams. But all considered good wins.

could do a loyola or umass nova denver put cornell back on. I’d say army also as their always tough n solid team. Plus they always always play us hard. Along with the acc games n even keep maryland on there. Literally all good to tough games besides maby 3 not cupcakes but teams should beat (albany’s vermont hobart(trophy reasons) or stoney brooke.

I’d like to see them at like a nova or denver to schedule. Teams that normally are very decent and compete or considered to be. Plus use to play nova back in big east days n denver. Plus if played nova at nova wouldn’t have to travel 7hrs twice a year up to dome to watch boys play. So yes def bias when comes to playing nova a bit lol.

We've only played Denver 3 times during the regular season.

2002 in Denver
2010 and 2011 in Syracuse.

Don't hold your breath. It's a really long bus ride.

so besides maby 3 to possibly 4 games it’s one of the stiffest schedules ever. But a win would be considered a win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom