protest planned Monday | Syracusefan.com

protest planned Monday

a

• a

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • a

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters
Wouldn't they need to get permission from SU to protest on campus? Unless they are protesting near campus but not on SU property (which is not what the article says), I would think the University could stop this.

Does freedom of assembly give them the right to protest on SU property?

Hey JB's protesting why not the kids. They don't know bernie like JB and JB really feels he didn't do it.

this is why boeheims comment calling them liars was huge mistake-- had very little to gain and alot to risk-- he really fcked up ---

Not on private property.

That's not entirely accurate... The Supreme Court has several times found that private property can be treated as public property for the purposes of the First Amendment.

I'd hate to see Westboro get involved, mainly because I wish they'd all get sucked into a black hole and never escape.

i wish they would wait to protest until more substantiated claims make themselves known. but if it didnt stop espn to killing a guys livelihood why should it stop some simple picketeers

Sometimes I hate the 1st amendment. You can bet your ass that ESPN will be all over covering the protest as it just makes Bernie look more guilty and furthers their agenda.

Sometimes I hate the 1st amendment. You can bet your ass that ESPN will be all over covering the protest as it just makes Bernie look more guilty and furthers their agenda.
yup

This is another place to separate ourselves from State Penn. Here's hoping everyone stays respectful.

So facts aren't important to these people, only unproven allegations. How pathetic.

Exactly. I can't protest on SU property just like I can't protest in your back yard.
generally true, but sidewalks abutting but not on school property are "public forums." If they want to protest, and SU tried to stop them, they can only push them so far (literally). In other words, if they plan to protest, it will happen, and SPD will be very hesitant to arrest protesters who are peacefully advocating against child molestation.

Anyone want to make this sign and show up at the protest:

I support the ALLEGED victims & Syracuse University, but first and foremost I support Coach Bernie Fine.

Count on all the tv cameras being there. When I worked at Con Edison, three people with placards would show up to protest rates or something. And every TV station in NYC would be there because it was "visual." There might be half a dozen people total in the protest (out of a service territory of 9 million people), but the stations had invested time and money to send a crew there..... so they always ran a story.

I know you do not mean that...frustration is high...but the 1st amendment...really?

I sympathize greatly with abuse victims but this protest is premature. This group has convicted Bernie in their minds already just because he was accused.

Maybe he IS guilty. That we do not know. We DO know that three previous investigations were not able to prove him so. Apparently this group doesn't care about that.

Maybe he is NOT guilty. If that's the case, this group will be supporting those who falsely claim molestation, thereby hurting those individuals with legitimate accusations. Minimizing them too, when you get right down to it.

Doesn't sound like a group I'd want on my side if I were a legitimate molestation victim.

I know you do not mean that...frustration is high...but the 1st amendment...really?

I think what he means is that he wishes 1st amendment did not apply to stupid people and/or attention whores. Because no one wants to hear what they have to say - see Westboro church. They're not in the game to shine light on some misrepresnented minority or viewpoint, but are there just to troll and gain media attention / money.

Similarly this suspended priest is trying to latch on the media attention to promote his "charity" organization and therefore milk money off this just like the "victims". Not much that can really be done but to ignore him.

I sympathize greatly with abuse victims but this protest is premature. This group has convicted Bernie in their minds already just because he was accused.

Maybe he IS guilty. That we do not know. We DO know that three previous investigations were not able to prove him so. Apparently this group doesn't care about that.

Maybe he is NOT guilty. If that's the case, this group will be supporting those who falsely claim molestation, thereby hurting those individuals with legitimate accusations. Minimizing them too, when you get right down to it.

Doesn't sound like a group I'd want on my side if I were a legitimate molestation victim.
Well stated, Dick.