Provided a major collapse are we basically a lock for 1 seed in East? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Provided a major collapse are we basically a lock for 1 seed in East?

No way. If we lose only 2 games the entire regular season we are an absolute lock for a 1. Virginia is not getting it no matter what. They top out at a 3 possibly 2. Their OOC was pretty terrible. Duke is a threat is they run the table but again, if we lose only two games the committee is in no way going to give us a 2 seed.
I think this is right.

I think the biggest threat to us getting the #1 at MSG is a scenario where Duke runs the table right through the ACCT wile we lose 3 in the regular season and take a 4th in the ACCT. Duke would end up 29-5 and SU would be sitting 29-4 but possibly with 2 loses to them. In that scenario Duke would probably edge us out. A lot has to go right for them and wrong for us...but it can happen. If it did and we slipped to the #2 line we would most likely get sent to the South (with Florida as the #1).

Completely agree, and basically said the exact same thing above. I think the one other scenario is where Zona falls off the 1 line. It could happen. Their remaining schedule isn't especially challenging, but they are pretty out of sorts without Ashley. If they lose a few, the committee will seriously evaluate their top line worthiness with the roster as it currently stands. In such a case, and with all the other potential 2 seeds losing, I think Duke could be poised to take the last 1 seed. Question then would be who gets the East - could depend on how SU and Duke show at the end of the season.

I think the biggest threat to us getting the #1 at MSG is a scenario where Duke runs the table right through the ACCT wile we lose 3 in the regular season and take a 4th in the ACCT. Duke would end up 29-5 and SU would be sitting 29-4 but possibly with 2 loses to them. In that scenario Duke would probably edge us out. A lot has to go right for them and wrong for us...but it can happen. If it did and we slipped to the #2 line we would most likely get sent to the South (with Florida as the #1).
Why would we get sent to the South? We would then clearly be the 2nd best team in the East and can anyone see the committee not setting up a dream matchup in MSG pitting "Cuse vs Duke?

Why would we get sent to the South? We would then clearly be the 2nd best team in the East and can anyone see the committee not setting up a dream matchup in MSG pitting "Cuse vs Duke?

They would separate the top teams from the same conference if they can.

They would separate the top teams from the same conference if they can.
Yep. If we get the 2 in the East it's because Duke is elsewhere. If Duke is the #1 in the East there's no way we end up there.

Is that a rule or guideline? Would be very unfair if the real top team in the East was sent packing - Duke being a South team.

Just saw this article: http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...new-bracketing-principles-during-ncaa-tourney
Here's a quote: "Previously, the top three teams from a conference could not be placed in the same region. Now that rule only applies to schools seeded 1-4."

So that answers my question - Duke and SU could not be placed in the same region because they would both be top 4 seeds. So we better damn beat out Duke!

I think beating Duke locks us for #1 in the East.

Or we lose to Duke at Cameron, but get as far or farther than Duke in the ACCT or if Duke loses to any other ACC team such as UNC on Thursday night, which I think will happen.

Duke getting the #1 seed in the East is like threading a needle for a half-blind person. Can it be done? Sure. But a lot of luck is going to have to go their way.

Cheers,
Neil

I want Syracuse to be in Buffalo but be sent to the South is a consolation prize for me as I will be attending the games in Orlando. For the record I am willing to give up my that consolation.

I want Syracuse to be in Buffalo but be sent to the South is a consolation prize for me as I will be attending the games in Orlando. For the record I am willing to give up my that consolation.
Don't want to ruin your day, but I think the Orange has sewed up Buffalo. It is only MSG that is now in question.

The top 3 teams from the same conference cannot be in the same region IF they are on the #1-4 seed lines by rule.

We need 5-1, beat Virginia, and at least 2-1 in the ACC tourney to be assured a 1 seed. If we go 4-2, finish second to Virginia, in regular season, and either Duke, or Virginia win the ACC tournament, we will be a 2.

No

I think beating Duke locks us for #1 in the East.

Yep... unless our seasons turns into a cluster of What results after that.

would have to lose 4 games to even be worried

Duke seems to have the advantage in whom they played in the unbalanced league sked.

These are the teams Duke will have played twice: Wake, UNC, GT and SU.

These are the teams we will have played twice: BC, Miami, Pitt, Duke.

Our ace-in -the-hole was Pitt. But then they collapsed. And now UNC is above them in the ACC standings. (And BC and MIami are two of the three worst teams in the league.

Don't want to ruin your day, but I think the Orange has sewed up Buffalo. It is only MSG that is now in question.
There is no way we don't go to Buffalo. We go there as a 1, 2, or 3 seed... because Duke would be sent to Raleigh the first weekend if they are the top seed in the East.

Lest we forget, last year both Marquette (#3) and SU (#4) were placed in the east.

SUfaninAZ said:
Not unless there is some upsets early.

If we are 1 it will be the 8-9 winner. Early upsets won't matter.

We need 5-1, beat Virginia, and at least 2-1 in the ACC tourney to be assured a 1 seed. If we go 4-2, finish second to Virginia, in regular season, and either Duke, or Virginia win the ACC tournament, we will be a 2.
You're wrong.

Lest we forget, last year both Marquette (#3) and SU (#4) were placed in the east.

Different situation.

The three top big East teams last year were Louisville, georgetown, and Marquette.

They all had to be in different regions. Syracuse could be placed anywhere.

Since su and duke are certainly going to be top 3 in Acc, they cannot be in same region.

Madbiker said:
The top 3 teams from the same conference cannot be in the same region IF they are on the #1-4 seed lines by rule.

Yeah, I posted the same thing several hours ago after reading an article about it. Still think it screws over a team like Syracuse, who would be sent away from a favorable position in the East, given they are the best team in the East this year - Duke being a southern team.

No way. If we lose only 2 games the entire regular season we are an absolute lock for a 1. Virginia is not getting it no matter what. They top out at a 3 possibly 2. Their OOC was pretty terrible. Duke is a threat is they run the table but again, if we lose only two games the committee is in no way going to give us a 2 seed.

Agree. We are not going to be a number 1 seed in the NCAAs even if we completely win out. We have 4 OOC losses to teams that we should have beaten. If somehow we do manage to get a 2, it will be as the last one (#8 overall). We do not have the rep or the schedule to go above that with the 5 losses we already have this year.

Is that a rule or guideline? Would be very unfair if the real top team in the East was sent packing - Duke being a South team.

No, Dook is an East team because the ACC has always been an East conference.

looking at bracketmatrix, (http://www.bracketmatrix.com/) here's the other eastern teams avg. seeds that would be in the mix for a #1 if SU lost enough to open this up for consideration.

Nova 1.73
MSU 2.15
Duke 2.49

bracket matrix hasn't been updated yet for the Sunday action, so Nova and MSU will drop a bit. Syracuse had the lowest seed average at 1.01. These clowns were the only ones not giving SU a 1 seed.

http://basketballpredictions.blogspot.com/

Even if Florida somehow surpasses for the number 1 seed they would get put in the south, I can't see Wichita State getting it even if they run the table and Zona already has 2 losses and I can't see why they would be put out west. It looks like well at worst finish 4-2 and I feel like we have really distanced ourself to getting that seed barring a major collapse.
I would love to say "at worst" we will finish 4-2. There are four really tough games left. As long as we take of the other other two (BC and GT) I will take our chances.

I think the toughest game left on the schedule after Duke may be Maryland. We play them 48 hours after an emotional Duke game and we have to travel from Raleigh to Cuse and back to MD on Sunday. If fatigue is ever going to show up it will be in that game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom