Provided a major collapse are we basically a lock for 1 seed in East? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Provided a major collapse are we basically a lock for 1 seed in East?

No, Dook is an East team because the ACC has always been an East conference.

I think they mix and match. As I recall, Duke was the #2 overall seed back in 2010 (Kansas was #1) with both Syracuse and Houston regions available to them and they went to the Houston Regional. The fourth #1 seed Kentucky got the Syracuse Regional.

Back in 2009 UNC and Pitt were 2/3 or 3/2 (not sure which) and Pitt got the East Region in Boston and UNC went to Memphis.

Cheers,
Neil

I think they mix and match. As I recall, Duke was the #2 overall seed back in 2010 (Kansas was #1) with both Syracuse and Houston regions available to them and they went to the Houston Regional. The fourth #1 seed Kentucky got the Syracuse Regional.

Back in 2009 UNC and Pitt were 2/3 or 3/2 (not sure which) and Pitt got the East Region in Boston and UNC went to Memphis.

Cheers,
Neil

In 2010 Kentucky was #2, Duke was #3.

Kentucky had syracuse as it is closer, and duke was left with houston.

In 2010 Kentucky was #2, Duke was #3.

Kentucky had syracuse as it is closer, and duke was left with houston.

Thanks for the correction. I looked at the bracket wrong.

Cheers,
Neil

I would love to say "at worst" we will finish 4-2. There are four really tough games left. As long as we take of the other other two (BC and GT) I will take our chances.

I think the toughest game left on the schedule after Duke may be Maryland. We play them 48 hours after an emotional Duke game and we have to travel from Raleigh to Cuse and back to MD on Sunday. If fatigue is ever going to show up it will be in that game.
Bill Orange posted a couple of weeks ago that the team will not return to campus between the Duke and UMd games.

I don't care what seed we are. Just give me buffalo/msg

^This^ I don't get how everyone feels a 1 seed is so important. All teams in the field will be capable of beating any other and being the first 1 seed to lose in the first round would be a terrible thing to have on our resume.. Give me a 2 and Buff/Msg.

looking at bracketmatrix, (http://www.bracketmatrix.com/) here's the other eastern teams avg. seeds that would be in the mix for a #1 if SU lost enough to open this up for consideration.

Nova 1.73
MSU 2.15
Duke 2.49

bracket matrix hasn't been updated yet for the Sunday action, so Nova and MSU will drop a bit. Syracuse had the lowest seed average at 1.01. These clowns were the only ones not giving SU a 1 seed.

http://basketballpredictions.blogspot.com/

Cool site (bracketmatrix). Thanks for sharing.

Maybe this is crazy, but I would much rather be a 2 seed in the East than a 1 seed anywhere else due to the incredible home court advantage we would have at MSG. I think lock is too strong of a word, but we're in fantastic shape for 1 seed in the East.
A #2 seed would probably be a #5 overall on the S curve. Doubt that the #1 seed in the east would b the lowest #1. Especially if it is another ACC team.

A #2 seed would probably be a #5 overall on the S curve. Doubt that the #1 seed in the east would b the lowest #1. Especially if it is another ACC team.
The rules now say that keeping teams (especially top seeds) close to home is a priority.

^This^ I don't get how everyone feels a 1 seed is so important. All teams in the field will be capable of beating any other and being the first 1 seed to lose in the first round would be a terrible thing to have on our resume.. Give me a 2 and Buff/Msg.

Sure, if "just" an NC is the goal. Nothing wrong with that. However, having won an NC in 2003, and the proverbial monkey is off our back, now we want more. More as in historic. Certainly we will have excellent, NC-contending teams in the future. But, game by game, possession by possession, play by play, this season, now, is morphing into a once-in-a-lifetime chance to do something absolutely unprecedented. And we are 6+3+6 games away from that. I don't want to rationalize ourselves into anything but an undefeated, #1 seed team going into the NCAAT, and then I want an NC. I want history.

Duke seems to have the advantage in whom they played in the unbalanced league sked.

These are the teams Duke will have played twice: Wake, UNC, GT and SU.

These are the teams we will have played twice: BC, Miami, Pitt, Duke.

Our ace-in -the-hole was Pitt. But then they collapsed. And now UNC is above them in the ACC standings. (And BC and MIami are two of the three worst teams in the league.
Duke's resume is thin its best wins are Michigan, Virginia, @Pitt, UCLA-N, Maryland. If they beat Syracuse, North Carolina x2, that would move them up to 2 line. They need to win out to even be considered as a 1 seed. 1 more loss in the regular season and they are going to be a 2 seed. If Duke had beat one of Kansas or Arizona this race would really close. However, they didn't and their regular season schedule isn't tougher than Syracuse's.
Duke home/homes Wake Forest, Syracuse, North Carolina, Georgia Tech.
Syracuse home/homes Miami, Boston College, Duke, Pitt
That is pretty equal. UNC=Pitt, Wake=Miami, Boston College=Georgia Tech.

Syracuse road ACC games
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Miami
Boston College
Pittsburgh
Duke
Maryland
Virginia
Florida State

Duke road ACC games
Notre Dame
Clemson
Miami
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Boston College
North Carolina
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest

So its Virginia Tech, Maryland, Virginia, Florida State vs. Notre Dame, Clemson, North Carolina, Georgia Tech.

Since Maryland, Virginia, Florida State are 3 of the upper half of the conference versus Clemson and North Carolina. Syracuse in the eyes of the committee will likely have the perception of a tougher ACC schedule and this is assuming Duke ends up 15-3 to make the ACC Tournament worth anything. As Duke's non-conference schedule is going to be perceived as inferior to Syracuse's as well since the only good wins are against Michigan, Alabama, UCLA while Syracuse will have Villanova, California, Minnesota, Baylor, @St. John's, and Indiana on its plate. Syracuse has played the tough conference schedule slightly over Duke, but Duke played the tougher non-conference schedule because of games against Arizona and Kansas which they lost both.

Lest we forget, last year both Marquette (#3) and SU (#4) were placed in the east.
Yeah, but Syracuse wasn't one of the top 3 Big East seeded teams so they could be in the East. Louisville was the 1 seed in the Midwest we couldn't be there, Georgetown was the 2 seed in South, Marquette was the 3 seed in the East. Thus because Syracuse was the 4th Big East team it could be in the East region. Duke, Virginia, Syracuse will be the top 3 ACC teams and all will be top 4 seed so they need to be in different regions. Also, Pitt can't be in Syracuse region unless they would be slated to meet in the Elite 8 because Syracuse-Pitt played 2 times in the regular season and they can't meet in the round of 32 or sweet 16 as a result.

So Duke comes in at #5 this week. If they win out this week watch them jump us to #3 and we go from #1 to #4 behind fla, wich and duke. While that is just the ap poll it is incredible that could move public perception to them as the 1 in the east. Just flat out disgusting. Where most teams stay put or jump a spot or 2 duke climbs 3-5 at a time.

So Duke comes in at #5 this week. If they win out this week watch them jump us to #3 and we go from #1 to #4 behind fla, wich and duke. While that is just the ap poll it is incredible that could move public perception to them as the 1 in the east. Just flat out disgusting. Where most teams stay put or jump a spot or 2 duke climbs 3-5 at a time.
Duke has to run the table till Selection Sunday to even be in the discussion for MSG/East. Our win at Pitt was huge for that reason. Assuming we take care of Boston College and Georgia Tech. We have 4 tough road games if we can split them we are 29-2 at the ACC Tournament. The committee doesn't even look at the polls when they do their S-Curves they look at resumes. Duke's resume is not deep with quality wins that is why their is a pretty decent gap between the two of us. Maryland showed Syracuse that if you punish Duke in the post you can play with them when their 3's don't fall. Duke shot bad against Maryland I don't think they will shoot that bad against us, but if they play North Carolina like they did Maryland the Tar Heels will split with Duke and their shot at catching us barring What losses will be none and void. Louisville was number 5 in the polls last year during Championship week and they were the number 1 overall seed. The polls mean nothing to be honest.

Duke has to run the table till Selection Sunday to even be in the discussion for MSG/East. Our win at Pitt was huge for that reason. Assuming we take care of Boston College and Georgia Tech. We have 4 tough road games if we can split them we are 29-2 at the ACC Tournament. The committee doesn't even look at the polls when they do their S-Curves they look at resumes. Duke's resume is not deep with quality wins that is why their is a pretty decent gap between the two of us. Maryland showed Syracuse that if you punish Duke in the post you can play with them when their 3's don't fall. Duke shot bad against Maryland I don't think they will shoot that bad against us, but if they play North Carolina like they did Maryland the Tar Heels will split with Duke and their shot at catching us barring What losses will be none and void. Louisville was number 5 in the polls last year during Championship week and they were the number 1 overall seed. The polls mean nothing to be honest.

I think it will be a good test to the influence of the polls. I concur they mean little but given our lack of respect at times due to close games if duke wins out and beats us this week they will get a lot of talk as a one seed over us. If the committee holds strong even with us splitting as you noted I will be thrilled. When it comes to Duke you never know.

It'll be us or Duke, most likely. Can wrap that issue up Saturday.

The rules now say that keeping teams (especially top seeds) close to home is a priority.
yes but that comes after seeding. If SU is #2 seed, most likely the top #2 so they face the lost #1. If NYC is not the lowest #1 then SU goes where the lowest #1 is. The point is do they put thes best #1 and the best #2 in the same region.

yes but that comes after seeding. If SU is #2 seed, most likely the top #2 so they face the lost #1. If NYC is not the lowest #1 then SU goes where the lowest #1 is. The point is do they put thes best #1 and the best #2 in the same region.
Has that changed? Because I seem to remember that not being the case recently (last year?).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom