PS: Incoming Syracuse football quarterback Zach Allen ready to get to work | Syracusefan.com

PS: Incoming Syracuse football quarterback Zach Allen ready to get to work

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Syracuse, NY – Zach Allen sat at a table at Temple (Texas) High School today and signed his letter of intent to play football for Syracuse University.

The senior quarterback said the after-school ceremony wasn’t really something he had to do, since he’s planning to enroll at SU in January, well before national signing day on Feb. 6.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...racuse_football_qua.html#incart_river_default

I am really REALLY REALLY starting to like this kid. How do you like this for a quote...

"between the quarterbacks that are at Syracuse right now and the two that are coming in. Someone is going to get the job and the others aren’t. I think everyone knows that. I’m going to do everything I can to try and win the job, but there are a lot of good quarterbacks there and another one coming in with me. So it will be really good competition."

I will be very, very surprised if this kid doesn't become a star.

Notice how he only mentioned competing with the three QBs already there? Charley, Terrel and John? Didn't mention Ashton. Anyone think we should read into that?

There's a thread about this in the Football Recruiting Forum.

Apparently he needs to brush up on his geography:

"“I’ve got less than a month – then I’m heading down there,” Allen said in a telephone interview."

"“I’ve got less than a month – then I’m heading down there,” Allen said in a telephone interview."
Being from upstate, ny, I say "down" for anywhere and everywhere, too.

Syracuse, NY – Zach Allen sat at a table at Temple (Texas) High School today and signed his letter of intent to play football for Syracuse University.

The senior quarterback said the after-school ceremony wasn’t really something he had to do, since he’s planning to enroll at SU in January, well before national signing day on Feb. 6.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootb...racuse_football_qua.html#incart_river_default
this is great. As someone who follows recruiting nil, how in the world does a 3 star stud qb from Tx seem to love Syracuse so much. Is he from here originally or something?

this is great. As someone who follows recruiting nil, how in the world does a 3 star stud qb from Tx seem to love Syracuse so much. Is he from here originally or something?

nope just completely hit it off with Hack and he bought into the system. kid has a legit chance at starting... he's my early pick, but he has alot to learn. talent might trump experience (Loeb). JMO.

I will be absolutely shocked if he doesn't become a star. Just reading that gave me chills thinking about our future.

I still cannot get over the fact that we landed this kid via a Skype tour.

Now he needs a steady diet of steak, potatoes, dead lifts and squats.

With the offseason S/C program, hopefully he can get in the 205-210 neighborhood. That'd be huge. I think it is between him and Loeb, it will be very interesting. That fact that he enrolls in January gives him a hell of a shot.

Does anybody REALLY want Loeb to start over this kid? What would be the benefit to that? We would only have him for one year, no?

Does anybody REALLY want Loeb to start over this kid? What would be the benefit to that? We would only have him for one year, no?
I do. You have a guy that's been in the system 5 years as opposed to a true freshman. The obvious benefit is letting Allen learn the system for a year and a half, put some extra weight on, build a connection with the receivers in practice, and be able to adapt to the speed of the college game. Then he starts 4 years as a redshirt frosh.

There aren't many kids starting as true freshman, and if they did, they didn't do very well.

Loeb can handle the starting job.

EDIT: Have you ever even seen him play? The kid's having ridiculous expectations put on him and I bet you've seen him throw a few balls in a highlight video...

Maybe he's just taking the long way to Syracuse.

Todd Philcox disagrees.

Because 10 second Bob L only rated him 2 stars so other schools must have backed off.

Thanks Bob-o.

I do. You have a guy that's been in the system 5 years as opposed to a true freshman. The obvious benefit is letting Allen learn the system for a year and a half, put some extra weight on, build a connection with the receivers in practice, and be able to adapt to the speed of the college game. Then he starts 4 years as a redshirt frosh.

There aren't many kids starting as true freshman, and if they did, they didn't do very well.

Loeb can handle the starting job.

EDIT: Have you ever even seen him play? The kid's having ridiculous expectations put on him and I bet you've seen him throw a few balls in a highlight video...

Agreed. Would be ideal to have someone play well enough that we don't need to look for Allen to start immediately.