PS: Replacing Riley Dixon: Sterling Hofrichter eager for Syracuse football's impossible task | Syracusefan.com

PS: Replacing Riley Dixon: Sterling Hofrichter eager for Syracuse football's impossible task

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Syracuse, N.Y. — Sterling Hofrichter is not athletic enough to hurdle defenders. He is not versatile enough to earn his own Heisman Trophy campaign. He is not a candidate to be taken in the next NFL Draft and unlikely to grab postseason honors.

What the redshirt freshman is, however, is remarkably candid and honest, self-aware and comfortable with the expectations that will be thrust upon him this year by Syracuse football.

Hofrichter won't punt the ball as high as Riley Dixon. He won't punt it as far. He will, however, replace the former Syracuse star the best that he can...

Replacing Riley Dixon: Sterling Hofrichter eager for Syracuse football's impossible task (Carlson)

proxy.jpg

OttoinGrotto said:
I know there's a bunch of legend around Dixon, but geez - it's punting. Hofrichter's going to be fine. We want to see as little of him as possible.

Agreed. Axe had a guy talking about it as the most important thing no one was talking about.

Except Babers doesn't punt that much. He scores or goes for it on a lot of drives.

Agreed. Axe had a guy talking about it as the most important thing no one was talking about.

Except Babers doesn't punt that much. He scores or goes for it on a lot of drives.
Look, Dixon is a really good punter. Kudos to him.

But, you know, the fact that Dixon was considered such a star really is problematic. It doesn't speak very well to our program, or our talent. Or our philosophies.

I for one look forward to the culture shock Babers is bringing.

Look, Dixon is a really good punter. Kudos to him.

But, you know, the fact that Dixon was considered such a star really is problematic. It doesn't speak very well to our program, or our talent. Or our philosophies.

I for one look forward to the culture shock Babers is bringing.
I disagree. He is a punter that threw a touchdown two years ago and hurdled a defender last year. As far as college is concerned, he is a legendary punter. The same would be true at any college.

Wasn't Sterling one of the top punters in the nation as a senior in high school? I'm not that worried about punting this season.

I disagree. He is a punter that threw a touchdown two years ago and hurdled a defender last year. As far as college is concerned, he is a legendary punter. The same would be true at any college.
The fact that we needed him to throw a TD is an indictment against what we were doing.

I'm not taking anything away from Dixon. I never want to see a star punter again, though. Having a star punter is akin to having the best imaginary girlfriend in the world.

The fact that we needed him to throw a TD is an indictment against what we were doing.

I'm not taking anything away from Dixon. I never want to see a star punter again, though. Having a star punter is akin to having the best imaginary girlfriend in the world.

Manti Teo's girlfriend was smokin'.

We might just have to agree to disagree. It would be silly to not use a punter as talented as Riley Dixon. I don't care how good your team is, you're going to have to punt at some point, and why not have a punter that can hurdle defenders. In short, I think any team would be happy to have Riley Dixon, and I think any fan base would elevate him to hero status.

sdhall01 said:
We might just have to agree to disagree. It would be silly to not use a punter as talented as Riley Dixon. I don't care how good your team is, you're going to have to punt at some point, and why not have a punter that can hurdle defenders. In short, I think any team would be happy to have Riley Dixon, and I think any fan base would elevate him to hero status.

Yeah, sure. If you need to punt it's nice to have a good one.

But I'd prefer my playmakers who go on to the NFL to play a position where they are on the field half the time.