PS: Syracuse football MLB Zaire Franklin downplays transition to Tampa-2 defense | Syracusefan.com

PS: Syracuse football MLB Zaire Franklin downplays transition to Tampa-2 defense

I really think the transition thing is being over-played too. The simplest and most obvious thing to me is that our defense didn't work last year anyway, like not at all. So either it's still not going to work or it's going to be better than last year.

I really think the transition thing is being over-played too. The simplest and most obvious thing to me is that our defense didn't work last year anyway, like not at all. So either it's still not going to work or it's going to be better than last year.

The Shafer/Bullough aggressive defense worked OK -- in seasons when they had good players with experience. Last year, the defense was exceptionally young in every unit except DE.

Agree that the transition thing is being over-played. More important -- we have a lot of returning experience; the kids are one year farther into the S&C programs. Even now, the better players (Franklin, Slayton, Bennett, Cordy) are only juniors. Down-play the schemes, and consider the players.

The Shafer/Bullough aggressive defense worked OK -- in seasons when they had good players with experience. Last year, the defense was exceptionally young in every unit except DE.

Agree that the transition thing is being over-played. More important -- we have a lot of returning experience; the kids are one year farther into the S&C programs. Even now, the better players (Franklin, Slayton, Bennett, Cordy) are only juniors. Down-play the schemes, and consider the players.
Slayton is a RS soph.

Expect Clark, Slayton, Bennet, Cullen, Henderson, Whitner, Thomas, Winfield, Franklin among others to surprise. Though some of those names will come as no surprise come fall.

Love the confidence but it's not going to be a smooth transition. It almost never is. This is exactly the kind of article we'll dig up again in a few months when we're doing a post-mortem. Hopefully, the offense will pick up the slack but I'm not going to get too worked up over this year's results anyway.

I think you guys will be surprised how much they blitz this year. This staff is smart, they know the current LB's were recruited for a attacking scheme so they will use their strengths and blitz more than normally. The staff also knows they lack pass rushing DE's. So what do you do when you lack pass rushers? You Blitz

Scheme won't be the bigger issue. Simple concept-based system that is built on zone principles. Shaffer/Bullough system was much more complex, especially the multiple blitz packages for the front seven. There were a lot of contingencies that went with all that. Not to mention, they played alot of zone behind it. Youth, experience, and system fit will be bigger issues. This is still a relatively young group. Alot of it is going to come down to how much pressure the line can apply, not only in terms of pass rush but also in terms of gap penetration to keep blocks from getting to the second level.

I think you guys will be surprised how much they blitz this year. This staff is smart, they know the current LB's were recruited for a attacking scheme so they will use their strengths and blitz more than normally. The staff also knows they lack pass rushing DE's. So what do you do when you lack pass rushers? You Blitz

That would be good to see for the reasons you mentioned.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a bit of experimentation along the line.
Along the lines of DTs sometimes playing DE, LBs sometimes playing DE or something else?

Well, I could see Chris Slayton and Steven playing a bit of DE. Maybe an awful lot of stunting.
That might be a good way to wear down the opposing offensive line. Those OT's probably wouldn't used to the dog fight that Steven and Slayton would give them on every play.

Well, I could see Chris Slayton and Steven playing a bit of DE. Maybe an awful lot of stunting.
Makes sense.

We are going to play some teams that are really run-oriented, where we need to be able to stop the run to have a good chance to win. UConn, Pitt, LSU, USF, maybe a couple of others.

For teams like that, I could see us using a big lineup with a DT or two at DE, pretty regularly.

Makes sense.

We are going to play some teams that are really run-oriented, where we need to be able to stop the run to have a good chance to win. UConn, Pitt, LSU, USF, maybe a couple of others.

For teams like that, I could see us using a big lineup with a DT or two at DE, pretty regularly.

Agreed.

Both of them are just brutal against OL. Big-time mean streaks in both of them. They're also the strongest-fastest DL we've got.
I can't wait to watch them pound on guys. Plus, their conditioning will surely be better than anyone they play. By the fourth quarter, the opposing offensive line should be beat.

Bambrewster (I think) indicated Steven was faster, if so this would be ideal. Imagine the size of S&S Wrecking Crew (Steven/Slayton) with speed approaching a linebacker beating on the OL from the outside!

I'm Jonesing for some CFB!

Bambrewster (I think) indicated Steven was faster, if so this would be ideal. Imagine the size of S&S Wrecking Crew (Steven/Slayton) with speed approaching a linebacker beating on the OL from the outside!

I'm Jonesing for some CFB!

Steven says that Chris is faster. Both are probably sporting sub 5.0 40 yard times.

Really big, really mean defensive line infront of a super athletic LB corps makes me very excited for 1st/2nd downs!