PS: Syracuse running backs coach DeAndre Smith in awe of sophomore Ashton Broyld | Syracusefan.com

PS: Syracuse running backs coach DeAndre Smith in awe of sophomore Ashton Broyld

I think this is true, which is why they don't really have a position for him.

He plays offense.

Exactly. I think with the previous staff he would have been wasted - partly because most of them are NFL guys, and NFL guys need set positions (unless you're Kordell Stewart).

I think this staff is much more about getting the best guys on the field and putting them in a position to succeed - at least that's my hope.

Being wasted at RB-The one position where we have great depth
That's why they are saying he won't just be a running back...he'll have a role than spans multiple positions.

if he's struggling to pick up the play book,rather than say he can play anywhere (which I'm sure ratchets up his responsibility of learning multiple positions at same time) focus him on a single role and let him really, really focus.

Would love to hear a little insight from the guys closer to the team...

I kind of wish the RB coach would just keep that thought to himself. Let's not get Broyld's head blown up.
After last season and being in the doghouse, Broyld may actually need some praise to get him back on track. However, I agree with not sharing all the options with everyone...especially opposing teams.

Maybe Broyld needs to hear it.
Believe it or not you're right. I know someone (very well) who needed to hear or read that type thing. And thereafter it was AA type results. Some can't get their heads around this reality in this me me society, but it's true, some kids need this affirmation to get over whatever it is holding them back (I've heard he's relatively soft spoken, etc.) Good coaching move is my thinking.

man seeing that highlight reel once again gets me major fired up on this kid. Gonna be great to see him play with more confidence this year with an increased role. Sky is the limit for this type talent. Just once I want to see this type of kid at SU be as good as we think he can be.

Don't want to wish away summer, but here's just another reason I can't wait for football season to get here!

This staff is made up of college coaches, not people auditioning for the pro's, so you are probably going to see things from McDonald that might surprise you.

He needs to play a WR/Slot/TE combo. As others have noted the RB position is allready loaded and honestly he is not a RB. We should just try to get him the ball in as many ways possible a la Percy Harven at Florida. (Please note I am not saying Broyld is Harvin)

I kind of wish the RB coach would just keep that thought to himself. Let's not get Broyld's head blown up.
well, then you might not want to read the article about the QB coach and how he basically said he didnt know What he was doing during the spring game...

youd be a quick 0-2 on your coach confidence scorecard.

Oh Lord

well, then you might not want to read the article about the QB coach and how he basically said he didnt know What he was doing during the spring game...

youd be a quick 0-2 on your coach confidence scorecard.

Oh Lord
That article was pretty terrifying. I'm all for being accountable for mistakes, but that read as sheer incompetence to me.

Closer than the running back coach?
I probably should have elaborated. What I meant was of course the RB coach is going to say nice things to the paper about one of their guys, but I'm curious as what's not being said (ie, what's holding AB back). Maybe nothing is. And that would be great.