PS: Syracuse wide receivers coach Rob Moore breaks down unit heading into the summer | Syracusefan.com

PS: Syracuse wide receivers coach Rob Moore breaks down unit heading into the summer

He didn't mention Cornelius at all.

Because he honestly hasn't shown much, much like MPB last year to much hype placed on a player who hasnt played a down of Div 1 football.

Because he honestly hasn't shown much, much like MPB last year to much hype placed on a player who hasnt played a down of Div 1 football.

Sort of like Adrian Flemming the most talked about WR in Syracuse history who's never caught a pass in 5 years.

Sort of like Adrian Flemming the most talked about WR in Syracuse history who's never caught a pass in 5 years.

Bingo, he has become a folk legend despite the fact he has the same amount of career catches as myself, DCCUSE, TexanMark, CuseRegular, LincolnCuse and you. I was big on Flemming myself a few years ago but when he couldnt crach the rotation in that disasterous second half of 2011 I knew he had issues.

That wasn't my understanding. This was the report I read in about the Spring Game.

• Alvin Cornelius III had a very sneaky spring, getting open and performing well despite a lack of notoriety. The quarterbacks clearly trust him. While Syracuse had him with no receptions (I had him with one), he was targeted on seven passes. He's an under-the-radar name who might excel as a possession receiver.
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/04/analysis_hunt_very_efficient_o.html

I don't think people are really hyping him as much as they're thinking he's a guy that might emerge.

That wasn't my understanding. This was the report I read in about the Spring Game.

• Alvin Cornelius III had a very sneaky spring, getting open and performing well despite a lack of notoriety. The quarterbacks clearly trust him. While Syracuse had him with no receptions (I had him with one), he was targeted on seven passes. He's an under-the-radar name who might excel as a possession receiver.
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/04/analysis_hunt_very_efficient_o.html

Not trying to be argumentative but the last sentence isnt exactly a ringing endorsement and another possesion receiver isnt exactly what we need. Syracuse needs a WR to break out someone who can make catches and spread the field, we have plenty of possession guys allready ie: West, Flemming, Lewis etc.

Bingo, he has become a folk legend despite the fact he has the same amount of career catches as myself, DCCUSE, TexanMark, CuseRegular, LincolnCuse and you. I was big on Flemming myself a few years ago but when he couldnt crach the rotation in that disasterous second half of 2011 I knew he had issues.

Jeremy, I see you're in midseason form with the negativity. ;)

In Cornelius's case, I think it had a lot less to do with hype and more about him perhaps not being ready--like most true frosh--and playing behind a quartet of more experienced receivers. Frankly, I think it was a good thing that we didn't have to rely upon a true frosh to be a starting caliber WR last season. He showed lots in the preseason portion of camp. Make no mistake: he will be an impact receiver for us during his career here, no matter what his role is.

Flemming just hasn't been able to stay healthy. Its really too bad what happened to him during the Fort Drum scrimmage, otherwise he probably would have been a contributor last season, somewhat addressing your point about him not having any career receptions. But I agree 100% that he is an unproven commodity right now. I'll always be "grateful" [not sure that's the right word, but best I can come up with] that he burned his redshirt late in his freshman season when our WR unit was so depleted to play in that Rutgers game that was a must-win in 2010, in order for us to get to bowl eligibility. He drew an important pass interference call, IIRC, that kept a scoring drive alive.

I don't think people are really hyping him as much as they're thinking he's a guy that might emerge.

I think your right but I have seen a lot of posters on here kind of laugh of the WR position being one of big concern next year and use him and a few others WR's as the reasons why. If you evaluate where we are at from outside the orange colored glasses the WR core looks really suspect and thats being generous.

I think your right but I have seen a lot of posters on here kind of laugh of the WR position being one of big concern next year and use him and a few others WR's as the reasons why. If you evaluate where we are at from outside the orange colored glasses the WR core looks really suspect and thats being generous.

Suspect, or unproven?

Because I think West and Kobena are a solid, experienced nucleus to build the unit around. No question: we need players like Flemming, Cornelius, Lewis, Clark, Funderburk, etc. to step up and show that they are players. That list doesn't even include Winfield, Estime, and Avant. But if one or two of these guys do, then the WR corps should prove to be more than adequate.

Not trying to be argumentative but the last sentence isnt exactly a ringing endorsement and another possesion receiver isnt exactly what we need. Syracuse needs a WR to break out someone who can make catches and spread the field, we have plenty of possession guys allready ie: West, Flemming, Lewis etc.
And by the same token the PS article isn't going to win a Pulitzer either. Basically a fluff article imo written on the basis of probably a conversation in passing with Moore.

Suspect, or unproven?

Because I think West and Kobena are a solid, experienced nucleus to build the unit around. No question: we need players like Flemming, Cornelius, Lewis, Clark, Funderburk, etc. to step up and show that they are players. But if one or two of these guys do, then the WR corps should prove to be more than adequate.

Yeah, people forget that heading into last year we had Lemon, Sales who had yet to actually endear himself to DM enough to get on the field, West who was always injured and a bunch of guys no one knew much about. This year we have a proven entity in West, a guy in Kobena who looks to have some pretty good promise, and a bunch of guys we don't know much about. It's not that different than last year. Obviously if no one steps up, it's an issue and obviously we'd all feel much better if Kobena was coming off a 30+ catch season or something, but I don't know that we need to be super concerned about it.

Suspect, or unproven?

Because I think West and Kobena are a solid, experienced nucleus to build the unit around. No question: we need players like Flemming, Cornelius, Lewis, Clark, Funderburk, etc. to step up and show that they are players. That list doesn't even include Winfield, Estime, and Avant. But if one or two of these guys do, then the WR corps should prove to be more than adequate.

Id say suspect at least right now. West has been a good receiver for SU, but now hes going from the 3rd and 4th option to the #1 guy who is going to draw the other teams best CB and possibly a double team. West isnt a real burner or stretch the field type of guy so he could be in for a long year if he doesnt get some help. I know you and others think Kobena is solid but honestly I haven't seen much from him and if he isnt catching a deep ball what does he bring? I wish Hale was healthy I think he would have really helped this years group. A lot is going to depend on Funderburk, if he doesnt step up or make it on the field it could be a long year.

Jeremy, I see you're in midseason form with the negativity. ;)

In Cornelius's case, I think it had a lot less to do with hype and more about him perhaps not being ready--like most true frosh--and playing behind a quartet of more experienced receivers. Frankly, I think it was a good thing that we didn't have to rely upon a true frosh to be a starting caliber WR last season. He showed lots in the preseason portion of camp. Make no mistake: he will be an impact receiver for us during his career here, no matter what his role is.

Flemming just hasn't been able to stay healthy. Its really too bad what happened to him during the Fort Drum scrimmage, otherwise he probably would have been a contributor last season, somewhat addressing your point about him not having any career receptions. But I agree 100% that he is an unproven commodity right now. I'll always be "grateful" [not sure that's the right word, but best I can come up with] that he burned his redshirt late in his freshman season when our WR unit was so depleted to play in that Rutgers game that was a must-win in 2010, in order for us to get to bowl eligibility. He drew an important pass interference call, IIRC, that kept a scoring drive alive.

LOL Hey RF.

Not trying to be negative but just give the WR look an honest assessement. I have no issue with redshirting Conrelius I think it was absolutely the right decision. By the same token as you noted hes a possession guy who I think some are counting on to make a big impact next year. I certainly hope he does but going without a catch in the spring game and then not mentioned in an article about the WR core isnt exactly encouraging.

I have high hopes for Flemming as obviously this is the last go round but can he stay healthy? Can he perform in a game situation? Can he go over the middle? Lots of unanswered questions for a guy who right now might be the #2 WR.

Id say suspect at least right now. West has been a good receiver for SU, but now hes going from the 3rd and 4th option to the #1 guy who is going to draw the other teams best CB and possibly a double team. West isnt a real burner or stretch the field type of guy so he could be in for a long year if he doesnt get some help. I know you and others think Kobena is solid but honestly I haven't seen much from him and if he isnt catching a deep ball what does he bring? I wish Hale was healthy I think he would have really helped this years group. A lot is going to depend on Funderburk, if he doesnt step up or make it on the field it could be a long year.

Was Lemon a stretch the field type of guy? Sales? Both had 1000 yard-caliber seasons.

Kobena looked really good the first two games last year before he got injured.

Look, attrition is a part of college ball. Every year you have players graduate, and younger players ascend into more prominent roles. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Like you, I hope that Funderburk ends up proving to live up to the 4-star billing. But you don't need to field a contingent of superstar wideouts to have a competent receiving corps.

Yeah, I agree with that. I'm not as high on West as others have been, but he is pretty good. I just don't know how he's going to handle defenses that recognize him as the top receiver. I like Kobena a lot more than some and think he'll take a step forward. Clark did more than expected last season, so if he just holds steady that's serviceable. Wales will catch his share of passes, maybe somebody out of the backfield other than PTG emerges.

Beyond that... everybody from the WRs is going to be catching their first pass. That's just how it goes in college sports, but I have no idea what to expect from any of Flemming, Lewis, Hale, Funder"From Down Under"burke, and the freshmen. I'm irrationally optimistic about Cornelius and just have a hunch he'll be a player. What that means for next year though, I'm not sure.

Yeah, people forget that heading into last year we had Lemon, Sales who had yet to actually endear himself to DM enough to get on the field, West who was always injured and a bunch of guys no one knew much about. This year we have a proven entity in West, a guy in Kobena who looks to have some pretty good promise, and a bunch of guys we don't know much about. It's not that different than last year. Obviously if no one steps up, it's an issue and obviously we'd all feel much better if Kobena was coming off a 30+ catch season or something, but I don't know that we need to be super concerned about it.

Lemon going into his senior year was the clear cut #1 guy in my mind, a guy who had allready put up pretty impressive numbers when healthy and a hell of a possession WR. I dont think your giving him enough credit.

I'm irrationally optimistic about Cornelius and just have a hunch he'll be a player. What that means for next year though, I'm not sure.

I really think Cornelius needs at least one more year before he's a factor. Kid was a string bean before the 2012 season.

I really think Cornelius needs at least one more year before he's a factor. Kid was a string bean before the 2012 season.

I can see that, and that may very well be true. He's just one of the guys I believe in for whatever reason. :noidea:

I can see that, and that may very well be true. He's just one of the guys I believe in for whatever reason. :noidea:

I believe too. But I figured I could contribute more to the discussion by saying something other than, "I agree with you."

Maybe we were better off last year -- as Sales had proven he could contribute, Lemon had been solid for 3 years, and West was clearly #3 going in, with high potential.
But we always have units hit by graduation, leaving unproven guys who need to step up. Consider last year's RBs, after Anton Bailey carried almost the entire load in 2011. Smith & PTG hadn't showed much (reason to be concerned? sure), but look what they did, especially in the second half of the season in 2012.

Neither were Lemon or Sales...in fact, West had the fastest 40 time of the three.

West along with Clark/Kobena/Funderburke will be a significantly better vertical threat than we had last year. Let's not forget that Nassib had serious problems throwing the deep ball which hurt our vertical game. Hopefully, whoever plays QB this season will possess the ability to make the deep throw accurately and help open up the field.

Was Lemon a stretch the field type of guy? Sales? Both had 1000 yard-caliber seasons.

Kobena looked really good the first two games last year before he got injured.

Look, attrition is a part of college ball. Every year you have players graduate, and younger players ascend into more prominent roles. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Like you, I hope that Funderburk ends up proving to live up to the 4-star billing. But you don't need to field a contingent of superstar wideouts to have a competent receiving corps.

Lemon was an excellent possession WR who had zero fear to go over the middle and could torch a secondary in that intermediate passing area 7-15 yards. He had a monster year last year and I think by the last 1/4th of the season was clearly the #1WR by far.. West is sort of a hybrid of both Lemon and Sales in that he can be a possession guy like Lemon but also be that down field WR like Sales who caught those 15-25 yard passes (see sales in the South Florida game). Most teams #1 receiver have something they excel at be it as a possession WR, a stretch the field type guy, a pure speed guy, or a freak athlete like Mike Williams/Harrison. Will be interesting to see how the staff and West try to use his talents versus other teams top corners and or double teams.

Kobena stepping up would be huge but after those two games last year he was MIA. Need some consistency from him especially if guys like Lewis and flemming cant avoid the injury bug.