PS3 Issues | Syracusefan.com

PS3 Issues

SUFaninNJ

Living Legend
I am not much of a gamer at all, but I have a PS3 that I use a couple times a year. The last time I used it was maybe 9 months ago. It started to shut itself off automatically. I was annoyed but moved on to other things. I pulled out the PS3 yesterday and it started shutting itself off now before I could even load a game. Looking online I see solutions from the easy to the extreme. I realize that it’s a PS3 and the PS5 will be released in a few months. I like it because the only game I really play is NCAA Football. Since they don’t make it anymore and the new PS systems aren’t backwards compatible, I’d love to get the system running again. Anyone else ever encounter this problem before or have any solutions? Any help is appreciated.

I am not much of a gamer at all, but I have a PS3 that I use a couple times a year. The last time I used it was maybe 9 months ago. It started to shut itself off automatically. I was annoyed but moved on to other things. I pulled out the PS3 yesterday and it started shutting itself off now before I could even load a game. Looking online I see solutions from the easy to the extreme. I realize that it’s a PS3 and the PS5 will be released in a few months. I like it because the only game I really play is NCAA Football. Since they don’t make it anymore and the new PS systems aren’t backwards compatible, I’d love to get the system running again. Anyone else ever encounter this problem before or have any solutions? Any help is appreciated.
Did you buy it new or used? I had the same problem. I would try doing a system update that should help.

Did you buy it new or used? I had the same problem. I would try doing a system update that should help.
I bought it new a long time ago. How would I go about doing a system update?

nm, I’m sure there’s a YouTube video. I took a quick look and I don’t know if it would even stay on long enough to do that, but I’ll try.

I bought it new a long time ago. How would I go about doing a system update?

nm, I’m sure there’s a YouTube video. I took a quick look and I don’t know if it would even stay on long enough to do that, but I’ll try.
Im not sure how different it is from the ps4 update. I haven't had a ps3 in like 7 years. I think it's in the settings. I would YouTube it just to be sure they will walk you through it.

PS3s are pretty notorious for having dust issues inside causing major overheating issues leading to exactly what you are talking about.

if you are comfortable taking the top of the case off I would attempt to remove any dust that has collected inside. Chances are if it is very rarely used (every 9 months or so as you stated above) it has quite a bit of dust. Second thing I would do if that doesn’t solve your issue, you can try replacing the thermal paste (tons of YouTube videos on this). It’s relatively inexpensive (can find at any Best Buy or at least you used to be able to) and a fix a novice can make following a tutorial. I know because I had to do that back in the day for mine.

If that doesn’t help, you can find a computer repair shop or even a UBreakifix, they work on game consoles as well. Although beware it might be cheaper to buy one refurbished from a GameStop (probably need to go online).

Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom