PSU vs Rutgers | Syracusefan.com

PSU vs Rutgers

SU in Hershey

Starter
Watching the games/results yesterday, I noted the outcomes of these despised teams and thought about how it might impact us. My knee jerk response was being thrilled PSU lost (great game/ending!) and with slightly less glee, that MSU lost to Rutgers.
I began to think that this could help recruiting, especially in NY, NJ, PA and the midwest. Especially if PSU loses next weekend and starts the season 0-2. If MSU becomes less relevant, that could only help us, too, but probably more marginally.
But upon further reflection, if MSU weakens, it would probably be more likely to benefit other Big Ten teams than us, especially the regional teams (Michigan, OSU for the big fish and even Indiana, Purdue and Illinois for slightly less prominent but no less valuable recruits).
As far as PSU goes, I don't know what it would take to drop their standing (real and perceived). Maybe back-to-back losing seasons? Obviously controversy and scandal aren't enough to break up the cult or change perception on a grander scale.
As far as Rutgers, they are the team we need to be realistically beating in the recruiting wars, on a reasonably frequent basis. We don't want them to become an attractive option (insert obligatory insult here) for NJ/NYC area recruits.
So, after all is said and done, I found that it would probably have been better for us if those two teams, PSU and Rutgers, could have traded results. PSU is...PSU. But it will hurt us more if "rutgers" becomes Rutgers.
Thoughts?

Watching the games/results yesterday, I noted the outcomes of these despised teams and thought about how it might impact us. My knee jerk response was being thrilled PSU lost (great game/ending!) and with slightly less glee, that MSU lost to Rutgers.
I began to think that this could help recruiting, especially in NY, NJ, PA and the midwest. Especially if PSU loses next weekend and starts the season 0-2. If MSU becomes less relevant, that could only help us, too, but probably more marginally.
But upon further reflection, if MSU weakens, it would probably be more likely to benefit other Big Ten teams than us, especially the regional teams (Michigan, OSU for the big fish and even Indiana, Purdue and Illinois for slightly less prominent but no less valuable recruits).
As far as PSU goes, I don't know what it would take to drop their standing (real and perceived). Maybe back-to-back losing seasons? Obviously controversy and scandal aren't enough to break up the cult or change perception on a grander scale.
As far as Rutgers, they are the team we need to be realistically beating in the recruiting wars, on a reasonably frequent basis. We don't want them to become an attractive option (insert obligatory insult here) for NJ/NYC area recruits.
So, after all is said and done, I found that it would probably have been better for us if those two teams, PSU and Rutgers, could have traded results. PSU is...PSU. But it will hurt us more if "rutgers" becomes Rutgers.
Thoughts?

I don’t think things will sway away dramatically for PSU in recruiting, but could be very good for Rut given any positive momentum will help build their case deeper in NJ.

Michigan State though seems to be sinking.

PSU is always going to be PSU. We're not winning many battles there.

Rutgers with Schiano is a problem. That's going to be a pretty important game for us next year, the way he negatively recruits against us.

Michigan St. 7 turnovers, let’s see Rutgers the next couple weeks. Schiano is going to make them better I grudgingly admit.

PSU could win zero games this year and still get the kids.
Perfect example we have a kid here 6'7" 245 lb junior DE/TE with a PSU offer and everyone is the community (minus a few of us Orange) you HAVE to go to Penn State, no other school is good for you etc etc and of course when he got the PSU offer it was like his density is completed. It truly is a cult down here.

A better B1G era Rutgers is still bad. We've done things in the ACC that they'd put up statues for in NJ.

And I think when people give Schiano so much credit for recruiting against us in the later days of the BE, we should remember who our HC was.

PSU is probably not going to see a drop-off in recruiting unless they have 2-3 years of suck. I'm not a Franklin guy and think he's a lot of smoke and mirrors - but they are what they are.

We lost most future recruiting battles to PSU when the NCAA didn't give them the death penalty for one of the most, if not the single most, sinister institutionally endorsed cover ups in our country's history.

well if you get 7 TOs and manage 270 yds off offense and only 16 FDs thats tough to do. MSU had multiple chances to pull the game out

Sounds a lot like our defense...but our offensive coach can figure out a way to put his players in a position to be successful. Just sayin'.

Perfect example we have a kid here 6'7" 245 lb junior DE/TE with a PSU offer and everyone is the community (minus a few of us Orange) you HAVE to go to Penn State, no other school is good for you etc etc and of course when he got the PSU offer it was like his density is completed. It truly is a cult down here.

One of the few times auto correct worked just as well (better in this case).

Well said.

well if you get 7 TOs and manage 270 yds off offense and only 16 FDs thats tough to do. MSU had multiple chances to pull the game out

that sounds exactly like us, only we still manage to lose.

Shiano will have a winning record in the B10 before we have another in the ACC. Book it.

his returning to Rutgers is not good for us.

First point, I don't agree. But we'll see.

Second point, I completely agree. People have trouble seeing the Schiano danger. He's a notorious negative recruiter, and he's able to convince kids to go there. Will it make them compete in the Big 10 east? Doubt it. But it doesn't help us at all.

Seriously? I get it Rutgirls hasn't won a big ten game in three years but Msu is awful. Let's see what they do against Indiana.

This is exactly how I am feeling. This week will be telling for them.

Also agree with Chip - Schiano is going to be a thorn in our side. He's the king of "kick them while they're down." We lived that in the mid 2000s.

First point, I don't agree. But we'll see.

Second point, I completely agree. People have trouble seeing the Schiano danger. He's a notorious negative recruiter, and he's able to convince kids to go there. Will it make them compete in the Big 10 east? Doubt it. But it doesn't help us at all.
It's not fair that he's a negative recruiter, someone should do something about that. It's like Homer said while watching the chief berate McGarnagle about his methods and why he let's him keep his badge, " Because he gets results you stupid chief".

It's not fair that he's a negative recruiter, someone should do something about that. It's like Homer said while watching the chief berate McGarnagle about his methods and why he let's him keep his badge, " Because he gets results you stupid chief".
His results are mediocrity.

could you post his name? It would be fun to trash him like Ishtaq Williams and the QB who went to TCU if the career doesn't work out

1603821937407.png

Spot on. I have a relative who coaches a highly successful eastern PA football team. Many of his players have gone to the B1G. He knows Franklin well. Even prior to James, he'd have a kid getting heavily recruited by great programs but not PSU. Each time he'd get in any Penn State coach's ear about a kid on his or another team that should have a PSU offer, he'd be told, "we're offering a kid who we rate higher out of (other state). If we don't get him we'll offer."

They tell him basically they can wait til the last second on any PA and most NJ kids and still get them if they decide they want them. They're just at that level. Combine it with the intense community pressure to play at Penn State, and most of those kids are foregone conclusions to Happy Valley.

could you post his name? It would be fun to trash him like Ishtaq Williams and the QB who went to TCU if the career doesn't work out
Hard pass on that, it's not the kids fault. He's a really nice kid and I would never feel right doing that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom