Purdue writer: "Never been in louder venue in my life." | Syracusefan.com

Purdue writer: "Never been in louder venue in my life."

LetsGoOrange44

Walk On
Watched the Black and Gold post game show, the writer for Purdue said he'd never been in a LOUDER venue in his life. Said it was like the game was played inside a drum. And then he shook his head saying that it wasn't even packed, not even close, but said it felt like there were 100,000 people. Said it's a great atmosphere, and when 'Cuse gets mojo, it seems like the roof is going to lift on the place. Finished with, you can see why the Dome is a difficult place for visitors to win.

Putting this in perspective, this is a guy who writes for a Big10 team with multiple stadiums at 100K+.

The Dome is a huge advantage. And our small but loud fan base should be proud.

Let's Go Orange!!!

Watched the Black and Gold post game show, the writer for Purdue said he'd never been in a LOUDER venue in his life. Said it was like the game was played inside a drum. And then he shook his head saying that it wasn't even packed, not even close, but said it felt like there were 100,000 people. Said it's a great atmosphere, and when 'Cuse gets mojo, it seems like the roof is going to lift on the place. Finished with, you can see why the Dome is a difficult place for visitors to win.

Putting this in perspective, this is a guy who writes for a Big10 team with multiple stadiums at 100K+.

Let's Go Orange!!!

Link?

and I thought it was much louder for UL for much longer periods of the game.. I think it also matters where you sit.. Surprised someone isnt doing some measureing studies , even getting some engineering dept to do it, dont they have any at SU? put some meters in 5-6 areas and see what is really happening in there. Shoot we have enough people here to do it. high/low endzone sidelines.. of course would they let us bring them in is a question..

Let's Go Orange!!!
Happens every time when new teams visit. They can’t believe how loud it is.

Every. Time.

Let's Go Orange!!!
I've said this numerous times before, we should be the cameron indoor of college football. We don't need to the biggest to be the most intimidating.

Last edited:
and I thought it was much louder for UL for much longer periods of the game.. I think it also matters where you sit.. Surprised someone isnt doing some measureing studies , even getting some engineering dept to do it, dont they have any at SU? put some meters in 5-6 areas and see what is really happening in there. Shoot we have enough people here to do it. high/low endzone sidelines.. of course would they let us bring them in is a question..
I’ll volunteer for one down by the field behind visitors bench. It gets loud. Agree Louisville was more deafening at times. But crowd got loud in fourth quarter yesterday.

I don't think SU wants studies to be performed. There are liability issues which could arise from well documented studies. Don't forget, there are hundreds of employees in the Dome for many games. Plus, tens of thousands of visitors.

SU would not want anything showing sound levels at two jets, or more, taking off. See the following link from the CDC, there is a chart with noise levels.

Note that the average noise of a sporting event is 100 dB. Decibels are logarithmic, for each increase of 3 dB, the sound level is approximately doubled. For every 10 dB, the sound level is increased 10 fold. Based on readings provided by one poster, we have had readings in excess of 120 dB, or 100X louder than the average sporting event. (100 dB + 10 dB + 10 dB = 120 dB or 100 X 10 X 10).

Anyway, from what others say, SU used to measure the noise and has since stopped. I believe it was a wise decision to do so. I believe those who believe the noise levels to be in excess of the 120 dB+ they have measured on their own devices.

Let's Go Orange!!!
I mean, the Big House has hit 110db, for 10th Ioudest. We get that with a poor crowd, and poor opponent. I've measured it.

With a full house and a good game, we should be the loudest EVER. (Prove it.)

There are decibel meter apps available. No fancy gear needed to get past security.

Don't the Seahawks claim to be the loudest NFL stadium and post their numbers? Would we be any more liable than them? Provide workers with earplugs like I was required to wear in the factory and fans assume their own level of risk.

Last edited:
I don't think SU wants studies to be performed. There are liability issues which could arise from well documented studies. Don't forget, there are hundreds of employees in the Dome for many games. Plus, tens of thousands of visitors.

SU would not want anything showing sound levels at two jets, or more, taking off. See the following link from the CDC, there is a chart with noise levels.

Note that the average noise of a sporting event is 100 dB. Decibels are logarithmic, for each increase of 3 dB, the sound level is approximately doubled. For every 10 dB, the sound level is increased 10 fold. Based on readings provided by one poster, we have had readings in excess of 120 dB, or 100X louder than the average sporting event. (100 dB + 10 dB + 10 dB = 120 dB or 100 X 10 X 10).

Anyway, from what others say, SU used to measure the noise and has since stopped. I believe it was a wise decision to do so. I believe those who believe the noise levels to be in excess of the 120 dB+ they have measured on their own devices.
I definitely could see the dome contributing to early signs of hearing issues… well worth it

Don't the Seahawks claim to be the loudest NFL stadium and post their numbers? Would we be anymore liable than them? Provide workers with earplugs like I was required to wear in the factory and fans assume their own level of risk.
That would be a question for a NY attorney, which I am not.

Let's Go Orange!!!
If and I believe we will keep this going the nation is going to come to realize that the JMA is one of the best venues in all of college football. Thank God the administration didn't move to a new stadium on the lake or at the fairgrounds as it would have been the death of SU football. Imagine if the students couldn't walk to the game. Having this amazing facility smack dab in the middle of the campus is special.

Now JW please pay these assistants keep this staff together and just what SU can do. We are a community and school just dying to break out. Between the stadium, the facilities initiative, our NIL which I believe is going to be very strategic and one of the few eastern schools with clout SU is positioned to make a major move. Friday is going to be electric.

Yeah. You can bring a Db meter in. Never had an issue. $20 for a more accurate one, with a Max function. Apps are a guess, and less accurate over 100db.

DONT USE AN APP.

Last edited:
That would be a question for a NY attorney, which I am not.
I believe that if SU made it known that attending an event at SU can cause hearing loss, then attending would be assumption of the risk.
I think employees/concession volunteers would need some type of ear protection. Just my $.02

I believe that if SU made it known that attending an event at SU can cause hearing loss, then attending would be assumption of the risk.
I think employees/concession volunteers would need some type of ear protection. Just my $.02
I would assume attending any large sporting event, falls into the implied risk category. It's not like it's a secret that football stadiums are loud. It's like how you can't sue an airline for a scary flight when you go through some jarring turbulence. Implied risk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom