Q+A: Eric Devendorf | Syracusefan.com

Q+A: Eric Devendorf

nice interview. Has some really nice things to say about JB and Cuse.

Love Devendorf. Unfortunate that due to his off the court issues that most probably won't appreciate just how good an offensive player he was. Pretty sure if he stayed his last year he would've most likely finished #2 or 3 on the all time scoring list.

It really is amazing--people see Devo on the court, the tattoos, brazen behavior, trash talking, etc. and have a perception of him based upon that. Or they see him in a post-game interview when he's still sweating / breathing hard and the adrenaline is still flowing.

But away from that, he is an incredibly soft spoken--and surprisingly WELL spoken--kid. Nice interview.

It really is amazing--people see Devo on the court, the tattoos, brazen behavior, trash talking, etc. and have a perception of him based upon that. Or they see him in a post-game interview when he's still sweating / breathing hard and the adrenaline is still flowing.

But away from that, he is an incredibly soft spoken--and surprisingly WELL spoken--kid. Nice interview.
Not to mention a great teammate. A few years back we were out for my birthday and ED was there, once he realized it was my birthday he sent a drink my way from the end of the bar. Hopefully he keeps playing well and he earns a shot at playing for better pay.

I also hope he wasn't hitting on me, but that's neither here nor there.

Just a tremendous asset to SU sports. Devo is a class act through and through.

definitely rooting for Eric to get his shot in the league and make some money for his family. Maybe Durant can pull some strings for his old teammate in OKC :)

i once saw him throw a chair 50 ft, hit a kid in the back of the head, knocking him out cold at chucks.

but he was incredibly soft spoken about the incident.

i once saw him throw a chair 50 ft, hit a kid in the back of the head, knocking him out cold at chucks.

Say it ain't so

I never said he was a saint. Just that the off the floor persona he displayed in interviews didn't match what you saw on the floor.

Incidents like what you describe are one of many reasons why he wasn't here for his senior season.

"Coach is a good dude."
JB put his own ass on the line for ED, at a time when nearly everyone else just wanted him gone - and with good reason. Boeheim's loyalty is one of his greatest qualities - and yet, there were people on this board who wanted him fired for showing the same loyalty when Bernie came under fire.

JB put his own ass on the line for ED, at a time when nearly everyone else just wanted him gone - and with good reason. Boeheim's loyalty is one of his greatest qualities - and yet, there were people on this board who wanted him fired for showing the same loyalty when Bernie came under fire.
The SU administration led by Fancy Nancy wanted Devo gone from the hill after the assault went public. JB negotiated with them to let Devo stay the rest of the season as long as he left campus following that school year, even though he had one more year of eligibility left. His daughter was a reason he left to chase $, but he would not have been allowed back.

Great interview. I always liked Devo. I always saw him as "street tough" on the court, but in kind of a gamesmanship way, not like he was a real thug off the court, like an Allen Iverson or someone. Sounds like he has really matured as a young man, owns his reputation and has already learned some important lessons about life.

And yes, I was aware of the off-court stuff, too, but I think he was more Eminem than a real thug.

Devo was one of my favorite players ever at SU. Everyone hated him when he played for us including most of our fans, always was my favorite.

Devo played as hard as any player has that I can remember. I wish more of our players had Devo's heart.

44cuse

Devo played as hard as any player has that I can remember. I wish more of our players had Devo's heart.

44cuse

My favorite thing was the way he would just stare down guys on the other team after he had gotten it going. He intimidated the hell out of people for being a shooting guard who didn't play much defense. Think about that for a minute. He totally got inside other guys' heads when he got going. He was a special player.

Kind of like our Chris Herren (by that I mean, talented but troubled, and he played with an edge - similar games, actually, but no intended comment about drugs, so pls don't misinterpret), but with hopefully a better ending.

44cuse
really?? I can't remember a player who gave less effort on defense than Devo. My lasting memory of him is literally walking back on defense while we were getting blown out by OU in the tourney.

really?? I can't remember a player who gave less effort on defense than Devo. My lasting memory of him is literally walking back on defense while we were getting blown out by OU in the tourney.

All right, then I will change it to with as much passion and heart as Devo did. And intimidation. Let's face it...we are not exactly the toughest team every year. Not much about SU teams are intimidating and Devo brought that extra bit to the party.

Great defender...certainly not. Tough as balls? Yes.

44cuse

My favorite thing was the way he would just stare down guys on the other team after he had gotten it going. He intimidated the hell out of people for being a shooting guard who didn't play much defense. Think about that for a minute. He totally got inside other guys' heads when he got going. He was a special player.

Kind of like our Chris Herren (by that I mean, talented but troubled, and he played with an edge - similar games, actually, but no intended comment about drugs, so pls don't misinterpret), but with hopefully a better ending.

I know exactly what you mean. Agreed.

44cuse

All right, then I will change it to with as much passion and heart as Devo did. And intimidation. Let's face it...we are not exactly the toughest team every year. Not much about SU teams are intimidating and Devo brought that extra bit to the party.

Great defender...certainly not. Tough as balls? Yes.

44cuse
I know what you are saying, but I just look at it differently. To me guys that are tough and have heart are guys that never give in on either end of the floor. Guys like Garnett, or Thomas Robinson from KU at a lower level. Etan and Jason Hart are two good SU examples. Devo wasn't afraid to take big shots - I'll give him that, but his lack of defensive effort always bothered me. I guess we can agree to disagree on this one.

Where does Slam find the sycophants who conduct these interviews? Yikes; that was a slobberfest. Would be more fun to skip the middleman and let Devendorf write 800 words about his experience in Turkey and the D-League.

I always found it confidence inducing that we had a talented guy on the floor who wasn't going to take any crap from opposing players and would never back down. He gave our team a toughness that we needed in the Big East.