QB Breakdown | Syracusefan.com

QB Breakdown

TheCusian

Living Legend
Thought it would be interesting to see how Eric and Tommy compare statistically, so far. Added senior year Nassib, too.

Name/Year (games played)Yards per attCompletion %Total YdsRushing TDPassing TD/INTPasser Rating
R.Nassib, 2012 (13)862.4%3749226/10143.3
E.Dungey, 2015 (8)7.459.7%1298511/5136.6
E.Dungey, 2016 (9)7.564.8%2679615/7138.2
E.Dungey, 2017 (9)6.659.7%2495914/9122.8
E.Dungey, 2018 (13)7.760.9%28681518/9137.0
T.Devito, 2019 (6)7.465.5%1534112/5142.5

Thought it would be interesting to see how Eric and Tommy compare statistically, so far. Added senior year Nassib, too.

Name/Year (games played)Yards per attCompletion %Total YdsRushing TDPassing TD/INTPasser Rating
R.Nassib, 2012 (13)862.4%3749226/10143.3
E.Dungey, 2015 (8)7.459.7%1298511/5136.6
E.Dungey, 2016 (9)7.564.8%2679615/7138.2
E.Dungey, 2017 (9)6.659.7%2495914/9122.8
E.Dungey, 2018 (13)7.760.9%28681518/9137.0
T.Devito, 2019 (6)7.465.5%1534112/5142.5
There's a part of your analysis missing. 2016 Dungey would run through a brick wall head first for first down. TD actually backs away from open space to throw it away. You can have your stats. Dungey was a gamer. Book is still out on TD. I'm not throwing this kid away but he lacks the intangibles that Dungey had in his sophomore year. I have yet to see anything that makes me think TD will put this team on his back and carry it to victory the way Dungey could.

he may well set Su records for yds/TDs as a SO with an oline that cant run at all and he gets bashed.

if he has a 3 TD game friday he moves into the top 10 all time for a season.

give him some protection please

There's a part of your analysis missing. 2016 Dungey would run through a brick wall head first for first down. TD actually backs away from open space to throw it away. You can have your stats. Dungey was a gamer. Book is still out on TD. I'm not throwing this kid away but he lacks the intangibles that Dungey had in his sophomore year. I have yet to see anything that makes me think TD will put this team on his back and carry it to victory the way Dungey could.
and this is why it is best if you no longer post regarding the play of the Syracuse QB.

Agreed. Kid is a GREAT passer. I’d say the best I’ve ever seen at Cuse in terms of the combination of accuracy/zip.

But in every other area he’s among the weakest QBs I’ve seen at Cuse to this point...seeing the field, mobility(I don’t care if he CAN move, he doesn’t do it effectively), decision making.

He’s still a young QB, so he should improve on his weaknesses. Hopefully significantly.

His current weaknesses+ a bad Oline is a tough combination.

1. I kind of agree. His fire and leadership did make a difference. (I think TD is different and that can work too - he's probably a bit more like Nassib leadership wise)

2. That same fire led to a recklessness that played a part in ED only finishing one season healthy.

3. Leadership and "run through a brick wall" are tough things to measure, so they were really hard to find. You can take over looking for them on the interwebs.

the comparisons between Dungey and Tommy need to stop.

if Tommy did the same running heroics we’d currently be maybe 4-2 (best case?) with Welsh playing the rest of the season because Tommy’s hurt.

Note how many games Dungey missed due to injury, and how many bowls we made in those seasons. Obviously not Eric’s fault, but this offensive coaching staff has hid a bit behind Dungey’s ridiculous heroics.

it’s a bit uncalled for to question Tommy’s will to win, and quite appropriate to question the OC’s and OL coach’s capability to field a winning team without Eric bailing them on at the cost of his well being.

Last edited:

if Tommy did the same running heroics we’d currently be maybe 4-2 (best case?) with Welsh playing the rest of the season because Tommy’s hurt.

Yeah. Dungey was a unique player in terms of strengths and how he went about getting the job done. It was fun, but we’ve gotta move on.

1. I kind of agree. His fire and leadership did make a difference. (I think TD is different and that can work too - he's probably a bit more like Nassib leadership wise)

2. That same fire led to a recklessness that played a part in ED only finishing one season healthy.

3. Leadership and "run through a brick wall" are tough things to measure, so they were really hard to find. You can take over looking for them on the interwebs.
1. Glad we finally agree on something, sort of.
2. You have a point. Is it better to suffer the slings of arrows......i.e. is it better to throw everything into a game trying to win essentially playing as if each game is the season, or is it better to approach the season more like a war, better to live to fight another day. IDK, that's a tough one, clearly i'm on the other side from you but I can at least acknowledge there is differing camps on this one. My concern with your approach is that you may lose the war before you win any battles. You have to win a few battles before you can win the war.
3. People may not have liked FHCSS but his philosophy in recruiting captains paid off when it came to no shortage of leaders on the team. That was evident last year.

Context if king. If people want to bash one or the other - it's good to break it down a bit more.

Would be interested to see Nassib’s sophomore stats compared to Eric’s. Nassib got some PT as a freshman, similar to Eric so they’re at a similar level of game experience as soph’s.

Context if king. If people want to bash one or the other - it's good to break it down a bit more.
No issues with the OP, I appreciate a more analytic approach.

issues with people questioning Tommy’s competitiveness just because we’re using Eric’s departure to justify part of our staff’s shortcoming’s

it’s a bit uncalled for to question Tommy’s will to win, and quite appropriate to question the OC’s and OL coach’s capability to field a winning team without Eric bailing them on at the cost of his well being.
Call it something else, idc. But when I see a QB with 15yds of open field in front of him stop, step back, and then throw it away...I want to throw my TV out the damn window! It happened twice in the first half. I was screaming at him to just run the damn football. He finally did in the 4th quarter. Too little too late.

Call it something else, idc. But when I see a QB with 15yds of open field in front of him stop, step back, and then throw it away...I want to throw my TV out the damn window! It happened twice in the first half. I was screaming at him to just run the damn football. He finally did in the 4th quarter. Too little too late.

For years we had QBs that ran often, and often by design, who mostly didn’t get hurt.

Not sure why “he needs to run more” is read as “he needs to run like Dungey did”.

He just needs to pick his spots better and run when that’s the best option, IMO.

He's clearly injured and looking to avoid taking a hit.

Some stats get omitted from that chart (net yards rushing — where Dungey often led the team, versus Devito losing more than he gained) and some contributions don’t show up in stats. Dungey’s running the option can lead to a rushing stat for the RB, not for Dungey. His threat to run a counter means the mlb has to respect that threat, which can help the running attack generally.
Then there is the general feel to the offense. Rarely felt that our offense was anemic when Dungey was at the controls. And now? Pretty passing stats, and not enough of what it takes to get points.

Some stats get omitted from that chart (net yards rushing — where Dungey often led the team, versus Devito losing more than he gained) and some contributions don’t show up in stats. Dungey’s running the option can lead to a rushing stat for the RB, not for Dungey. His threat to run a counter means the mlb has to respect that threat, which can help the running attack generally.
Then there is the general feel to the offense. Rarely felt that our offense was anemic when Dungey was at the controls. And now? Pretty passing stats, and not enough of what it takes to get points.

I think this is fair.

But I don't think we should look at this year and those stats and think they don't count. I think it's a sign that it's not that far away.

He is the best thrower in SU history IMO. He has the arm and the accuracy. The question is whether he can take that talent and become a great passer and a great QB.

Agreed. Nassib showed he had talent right from his first year. He had some great games and great moments as a soph/junior, but the offense often sputtered too. He was on a whole different level as a senior.

I personally thought DeVito would be further along than he has shown to be so far, but he still has a very high ceiling IMO.

I think this is fair.

But I don't think we should look at this year and those stats and think they don't count. I think it's a sign that it's not that far away.
Agree, the passing stats count, and indicate that Devito’s pure passing isn’t the problem. But the other stuff a winning QB needs is hard, real hard, to acquire if your starter does not have it mid-way in his third year in the program.
I admit I feel we need a dual threat guy to create a running threat and give the defense pause about bring pressure. If you don’t have that, you need a QB who can sense pressures, use all his skill guys (not only option 1), make quick decisions, escape and throw off the run — all the possible ways to counter the extra pressures.

DeVito already has put the team on his back and carried it to victory.
I didn't say he can't win a football game. I said he doesn't have the ability, currently, to put the team on his shoulders and will them to a victory the way Eric could. Eric Dungey 2016 wins last Thursday.

And if you are referring to the victories last year. It's much easier to come into a game when the opposing team has spent the entire week scouting Dungey and then bam it's Devito. Not the same game for him this year when defenses are preparing for him.

he may well set Su records for yds/TDs as a SO with an oline that cant run at all and he gets bashed.

if he has a 3 TD game friday he moves into the top 10 all time for a season.

give him some protection please
If he plays like he has so far this season, he’ll need to be in the Witness Protection program as fans will go beserk