Class of 2020 - QB Brett Nezat (AL) Verbal to Arkansas State | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Brett Nezat (AL) Verbal to Arkansas State

I would say this is a hedge - if the Canadian kid reclassifies, we are the leader (according to some). If he doesn’t, we get this kid as our QB this season and continue pursuit of Canadian guy (sorry, don’t want to misspell his name).

I would say this is a hedge - if the Canadian kid reclassifies, we are the leader (according to some). If he doesn’t, we get this kid as our QB this season and continue pursuit of Canadian guy (sorry, don’t want to misspell his name).

Agree 100%.

Interesting back drop in photo...those jerseys are new and presumably representative of players Babers coached in college along the way? I wonder how full that wall is and does it combine former Cuse players in the NFL as well or just Babers coached players. A nice addition...
24DFB1F5-2523-4774-859D-002DD67BE833.gif

Interesting back drop in photo...those jerseys are new and presumably representative of players Babers coached in college along the way? I wonder how full that wall is and does it combine former Cuse players in the NFL as well or just Babers coached players. A nice addition...
View attachment 167331
I think they’ve been around since Babers. I recall seeing them in other older photos. I even believe they were specifically mentioned in an article about or interview with him early in his tenure.

I feel good if this is our QB. He'll have a nice revenge story when he beats Alabama for the National Championship and sends Saban into retirement as a loser.

I'm betting this is the guy we end up with. I must have been half falling a sleep when I watched his highlights the the first time as I don't remember them. He doesn't have the high ranking but I really like this kid. We could win this kid for sure. He looks to be a tall, solidly built kid with great accuracy and a good arm. He gets the ball out quick to his receivers with a very catchable ball. He's not going to punish any team with his legs but with a solid 6-5" frame and the fact he looks to be crafty in the pocket evading the rush with good awareness that's fine. Maybe he'll just be the next Brady. :) My only concern is that he doesn't throw the ball deep at all. I get that it is probably not his high schools offensive system but you would think there would be a few sprinkled in. But the staff has seen this kid camp a couple of times and they probably got a good look at what he can do on those as well. Pretty surprised he doesn't have more offers. Bet this kid comes in with a chip on his shoulder. Come on aboard Nezat!

Last edited:
And how was there not already a direct link to his highlights on this thread yet? Someone *cough CL OE* is slipping. ;) I'm just gong to assume its because we want to keep this kid kind of under wraps for the time being as he is flying under the radar currently.

the kid has a really nice touch, very accurate from what I can see. I definitely do like him better than Casey Case(m).

Looks like they are running a system similar to ours... Might be a real nice fit...

He doesn't have the arm-strength, but his release reminds me of Vinnie Testaverde, the way he kind of snaps the ball on his throws, not a lot of arm motion.

If we don't get O Canada to reclassify, would we take both Nezat (AL) and Case (FL) so that there's competition and your eggs are not all in one basket? I would feel better about that.

I don’t want to belittle this kid, but does anybody think he would ever actually start? If we’re recruiting backups, then I’d honestly prefer a backup that started at a JUCO.

I don’t want to belittle this kid, but does anybody think he would ever actually start? If we’re recruiting backups, then I’d honestly prefer a backup that started at a JUCO.

Why? The goal is to build a "bullpen" at QB just like other schools that have 5 or 6 QBs on the roster. The goal is to build depth, not a stop gap of a JUCO at that position. Things happen injuries, transfers, academic issues, etc. You aren't always recruiting a kid that can step in and start. I think the coaches may see someone they can develop at the position. Matt Johnson at BGSU didn't look like a starter.

Why? The goal is to build a "bullpen" at QB just like other schools that have 5 or 6 QBs on the roster. The goal is to build depth, not a stop gap of a JUCO at that position. Things happen injuries, transfers, academic issues, etc. You aren't always recruiting a kid that can step in and start. I think the coaches may see someone they can develop at the position. Matt Johnson at BGSU didn't look like a starter.
I agree. The Babers system is complex. I think it takes a couple of years to fully understand all the reads, the progressions, what to do in every situation, etc.

For this system, grad transfer QBs or JUCO QBs don’t make a lot of sense. They will be out of eligibility before they really know what they are doing. If we get to the point where we are taking these type of players regularly, it is not a good thing.

I agree. The Babers system is complex. I think it takes a couple of years to fully understand all the reads, the progressions, what to do in every situation, etc.

For this system, grad transfer QBs or JUCO QBs don’t make a lot of sense. They will be out of eligibility before they really know what they are doing. If we get to the point where we are taking these type of players regularly, it is not a good thing.

Yep traditional transfer with 3 years left is fine

I understand having a bullpen, and not everybody has to be able to step in and start immediately. However, if we don’t think someone has the ability to ever start, then I feel like we’re wasting everybody’s time. Worst case scenario, those players transfer out and we lose all their institutional knowledge.

Yep traditional transfer with 3 years left is fine
Would much rather have a high schooler with potential to develop that can use a redshirt year and learn the system.

Or 2 or 3...

Would much rather have a high schooler with potential to develop that can use a redshirt year and learn the system.

Or 2 or 3...
Agree completely but the transfer portal is definitely a great option B, just based on the sheer number of QBs who enter it every year after figuring out that only one four star kid can start at a time.