Class of 2020 - QB Brett Nezat (AL) Verbal to Arkansas State | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Brett Nezat (AL) Verbal to Arkansas State

I highly doubt this staff is recruiting kids that will, in their eyes, only ever be backups.
They see something in this kid and sure he might not sure ever but could develop into someone that could start say RS Jr year and surprise people.
This staff clearly has a good eye for QBs and can turn "non-starters" into great QBs or even starters in the NFL.

I highly doubt this staff is recruiting kids that will, in their eyes, only ever be backups.
They see something in this kid and sure he might not sure ever but could develop into someone that could start say RS Jr year and surprise people.
This staff clearly has a good eye for QBs and can turn "non-starters" into great QBs or even starters in the NFL.

He does not have an offer yet, right? I think the staff targets kids like this to have options and to monitor the player's development. I doubt this is a question of potential starter or not at this point. It's about keeping options on the table.

He does not have an offer yet, right? I think the staff targets kids like this to have options and to monitor the player's development. I doubt this is a question of potential starter or not at this point. It's about keeping options on the table.
Correct no offer. You have to have multiple plans and not just hope you get plan a or b.

He doesn't have the arm-strength, but his release reminds me of Vinnie Testaverde, the way he kind of snaps the ball on his throws, not a lot of arm motion.
Good comparison. I see some Joe Flacco or Drew Bledsoe in him as well. Good pocket presence, accuracy, and in HCDFB’s offense, maybe the arm strength downfield is not as big a factor. I like him.

Who is the “we” here?

Context clues. We means Syracuse Football.

Edit: could more specifically call it the coaching staff, but I’m trying to make a policy statement. We, as a team, should not take people that we don’t believe can start one day. I’m not the arbiter of who can and cannot start, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to take a QB just to take a QB.

Last edited:
Fair enough.
But isn’t it also “we”, aka SU football, that’s deciding he’s worth the pick?
Why would they even bother if they didn’t see the potential and/or possibilities in this kid?
Isnt it more likely they’re thinking he can be developed, and eventually start?

Again, I’m not the one he has to prove himself to, and I’m not the arbiter of potential. I’m just a bit surprised is all. Having said that, he doesn’t have a scholarship offer yet. Maybe we’re waiting a seeing?

At this point we are on the C list
Might as well see how these two do as they both have flaws.

Context clues. We means Syracuse Football.

Edit: could more specifically call it the coaching staff, but I’m trying to make a policy statement. We, as a team, should not take people that we don’t believe can start one day. I’m not the arbiter of who can and cannot start, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to take a QB just to take a QB.
I’m prone to saying “we” too, but especially in the recruiting game, it is a coach’s decision. If Babers and crew see something and want to offer, “we” have to be willing to believe they know better than us or else why hire and extend them in the first place? I have not seen them take a recruit not able to play just to fill a position yet, and I really cannot believe they would do it now, with the arrow pointing up on our program as it is.

I’m prone to saying “we” too, but especially in the recruiting game, it is a coach’s decision. If Babers and crew see something and want to offer, “we” have to be willing to believe they know better than us or else why hire and extend them in the first place? I have not seen them take a recruit not able to play just to fill a position yet, and I really cannot believe they would do it now, with the arrow pointing up on our program as it is.

Fair criticism. Also telling is that he doesn’t have an offer yet. We’ll see what happens. I hope the kid gets a scholly, comes in, and makes me eat crow.

I don’t want to belittle this kid, but does anybody think he would ever actually start? If we’re recruiting backups, then I’d honestly prefer a backup that started at a JUCO.
yea and why did we ever take that guy Dungey, nobody on the left coast wanted him. He will be a eternal back up and never start.
Sorry forgot to use the sarcasm font.

yea and why did we ever take that guy Dungey, nobody on the left coast wanted him. He will be a eternal back up and never start.

To be fair, Dungey was a top 1000 recruit and the second best player in Oregon.

There are over 150 college football teams that we could schedule and play. Each team has a minimum of 4 Qbs. Eric came out of the blue. Heck our All American kicker was a walk on. As to the kid from Alabama i like him. My concern is he won't hack it from a culture fit stand point. Bama is weird south. Its not VA Maryland NC Georgia or Florida. Its BAMA. If you have ever spent time there its about as different from CNY as you can get.

Top 1000, and that's where you are going. LOL

Ok, he was a top 600 player and the second best player in Oregon. He was a markedly better prospect. Again, it's whatever. I wasn't out to pick a fight, and lower ranked players turn out to be great all the time. However, you can't really compare his recruiting profile with Dungey's. He's closer in rank to someone like Austin Wilson than Eric Dungey.

There are over 150 college football teams that we could schedule and play. Each team has a minimum of 4 Qbs. Eric came out of the blue. Heck our All American kicker was a walk on. As to the kid from Alabama i like him. My concern is he won't hack it from a culture fit stand point. Bama is weird south. Its not VA Maryland NC Georgia or Florida. Its BAMA. If you have ever spent time there its about as different from CNY as you can get.
But somehow players from all over the country somehow fit in at Alabama, now that is weird.

Ok, he was a top 600 player and the second best player in Oregon. He was a markedly better prospect. Again, it's whatever. I wasn't out to pick a fight, and lower ranked players turn out to be great all the time. However, you can't really compare his recruiting profile with Dungey's. He's closer in rank to someone like Austin Wilson than Eric Dungey.
Point being the coaches know better than you, or the so called recruiting service ranking. Funny when according to you Dungey was the second best in Oregon nobody out there gave him a sniff, and I mean nobody. His only offers were you know who and I think Harvard.