QB coach Martin | Syracusefan.com

QB coach Martin

kcsu

Living Legend
We have gone from a young rising QB coach who was also an excellent recruiter now head coach at Kent State to a former HS coach from Texas who is Dinos daughters Father in law.
During his time we have had Chance transfer and missed out on every one of our top QB targets. Tommy looks unprepared. Does Martin have the chops to coach the most important position on our team?

We have gone from a young rising QB coach who was also an excellent recruiter now head coach at Kent State to a former HS coach from Texas who is Dinos daughters Father in law.
During his time we have had Chance transfer and missed out on every one of our top QB targets. Tommy looks unprepared. Does Martin have the chops to coach the most important position on our team?
Chance did it to himself, you really can't blame Martin.
Do you know for a fact that QBs are not coming to Syracuse because of Coach Martin?
Martin doesn't coach the OL and Tommy was fine in yesterdays came, sure he has few things to clean up.

Do you know for a fact that QBs are not coming to Syracuse because of Coach Martin?
Martin doesn't coach the OL and Tommy was fine in yesterdays came, sure he has few things to clean up.
No of course i dont. Still do top HS QBs feel that Martin can get them to the next level? I also found the NFL comments about how poor Erics mechanics were alarming. My two cents is that we could do better. Obviously its not going to happen. QB is so important im surprised Dino went there with him

No of course i dont. Still do top HS QBs feel that Martin can get them to the next level? I also found the NFL comments about how poor Erics mechanics were alarming. My two cents is that we could do better. Obviously its not going to happen. QB is so important im surprised Dino went there with him
Most people on the board new Eric had poor mechanics and they worked around them. No QB Coach is going to be able to change mechanics that late in a career and magically fix them in one offseason.
Dino has the track record of developing QBs into the NFL and has hit on two good/great QB recruits, sure one transferred but that is not on anyone on the staff.
Don't sleep on Summers as he had some good offers, sure he wasn't on our top list of QBs but is a solid QB recruit.
I get the frustration of not having a flashy QB recruit year over year and going WOW we are doing it.
Sadly we are not going to be that school that is like yes we will take this recruit and this one and this one.
I personally feel Martin deserves another few years before we find out if he is the "problem".

I think it’s worrisome that an offense with the “reputation” of ours is having such a hard time locking down a stud QB.

TVD committed to Miami and has about a 1% chance of ever starting there.

Kids see Tommy Devito locked down for the next three seasons and want to go elsewhere. Some guys aren't thinking about NFL careers and want to go where they can get laid by good looking coeds and party all of the time. It's really that simple at times.

Kids see Tommy Devito locked down for the next three seasons and want to go elsewhere. Some guys aren't thinking about NFL careers and want to go where they can get laid by good looking coeds and party all of the time. It's really that simple at times.
Isn’t Syracuse the #1 Party school in the country more often than not?

I mean, I get that it’s cold and snowy in the winter, but college is college and if you’re a QB, you’ll get women.

If it’s weather, ok... but that doesn’t seem to stop anyone in the upper Midwest and Pacific NW.

He was hired because he knows every high school coach in Texas, and that should get some very good recruits for the Orange.

Who have we pulled from Texas since his arrival? RB who hasn't played a down yet? Name me another...

I think it’s worrisome that an offense with the “reputation” of ours is having such a hard time locking down a stud QB.

TVD committed to Miami and has about a 1% chance of ever starting there.
I think kids see Syracuse footballs reputation for 17 years as an issue...not our offenses reputation for 1 season.
Look...it's really simple. Be good (6+ wins and a bowl game) consistently for 3-4 years, and recruits, recruits coaches, and recruits parents will begin to take us seriously. We have 1 good season to show. So far our record is below .500 with Dino. Following our first good year in quite some time, If I'm a QB recruit, I would be in a "wait and see if they can be consistent" mode before making such a huge decision. So far this year, there is no reason to think that we'll follow up last year with another good year.

Who have we pulled from Texas since his arrival? RB who hasn't played a down yet? Name me another...
Tre Allison
Chance Amie
I'm sure you will quickly point out they both transferred but I'm just providing an answer to your question.
Also consider the source of the original statement you are questioning, still waiting on UMASS to get invited to the Big Ten ;)

Tre Allison
Chance Amie
I'm sure you will quickly point out they both transferred but I'm just providing an answer to your question.
Also consider the source of the original statement you are questioning, still waiting on UMASS to get invited to the Big Ten ;)
I see we are getting some Texas guys, and as you know it takes time to build a pipeline. People have to be confident that the staff and program is stable, which it now is. As to UMASS, the B1G has enough money and power to take that athletic department and build it up and then have full control over New England college football and by doing so, open up a large new market. And, it is the only market of that size that is still not owned by a P5 conference. I know, BC, but they have no fans because the people who you would think would be their fans are ND fans instead. I also think Martin is very capable of managing a quarterback and aiding his development.

I don’t know who to blame and there are issues beyond tommy to be sure. But he wasn’t fine. I think he has some nice tools and attributes but his pocket presence is brutal right now.

I don’t know who to blame and there are issues beyond tommy to be sure. But he wasn’t fine. I think he has some nice tools and attributes but his pocket presence is brutal right now.
He was 28/39 330 yards 3 TD 1 INT (better numbers then Jackson).
You trying having good pocket presence when #4 blows right past the LT all first half and you have about 1.5 seconds to find an open receiver.
I will give you sometimes when scrambling he doesn't have that naturally instinct to pass right away or run.
He had a fine game.

I see we are getting some Texas guys, and as you know it takes time to build a pipeline. People have to be confident that the staff and program is stable, which it now is. As to UMASS, the B1G has enough money and power to take that athletic department and build it up and then have full control over New England college football and by doing so, open up a large new market. And, it is the only market of that size that is still not owned by a P5 conference. I know, BC, but they have no fans because the people who you would think would be their fans are ND fans instead. I also think Martin is very capable of managing a quarterback and aiding his development.
I just like giving you crap about that statement (UMASS to B1G);)

An aspect of the QB situation is that of playcalling. Instead of taking apart the deficiencies Maryland showed from the film; we called plays that work if you a power team, which we are not. We need to be more creative, with our play-calling, IMO.

An aspect of the QB situation is that of playcalling. Instead of taking apart the deficiencies Maryland showed from the film; we called plays that work if you a power team, which we are not. We need to be more creative, with our play-calling, IMO.
Yeah, I think we tried. Came out in a weird formation and then switched to a more standard set to make the lane for the quick pass to Riley.

Which was probably intended to be an easy ball for DeVito, and Riley promptly let it go right through his hands.

Yep, pass wasn't ideal and a little high for a short player, but it would have been cool of Riley could have helped his QB out.

He was 28/39 330 yards 3 TD 1 INT (better numbers then Jackson).
You trying having good pocket presence when #4 blows right past the LT all first half and you have about 1.5 seconds to find an open receiver.
I will give you sometimes when scrambling he doesn't have that naturally instinct to pass right away or run.
He had a fine game.

He has a bad habit of stepping backwards at the slightest hint of pressure. That will be tough to break. When he scrambles (and if u want to put some of this on the WRs I’m cool with it) nothing good happens (though he had a nice move on a free rusher to buy time at one point). Our offense is running really slow. I think we comleted one in route to taj for a first down and I don’t remember seeing us hit a quick slant all day. Almost everything outside the hash. Then there are the mental mistakes on the fourth down plays.

Listen — I’m with everyone. Don’t want to put a loss on one guy b/c that’s absurd when the whole team got blown up. I’m also not saying he’s a terrible qb per se. and he has tools to work with.

All I’m saying is if you’re (anyone, not you specifically) not a little concerned about how he’s playing, I just see it very differently.

If that's why we hired him we should fire him tomorrow. We will never get good TX recruits.
He was the coach at one of the winning-est big school programs in Texas. In Houston, I believe. As I stated earlier, recruiting takes time.