Class of 2019 - QB Drew Gunther (PA) PWO COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 QB Drew Gunther (PA) PWO COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drew Gunther

@drewgunther11

All Glory to God | Syracuse ‘23
1f34a.png

I've been following him for months...about time.

Was committed to VT as PWO. May have switched to SU because of Hendon Hooker. He announced he was transferring out of VT 1/30/19. Gunther signed financial aid papers on 2/7. Hooker then announced he was staying at VT on 2/21. VT took a QB in the 2019 class and then took a transfer in Burmeister on 2/27.

Drew Gunther

@drewgunther11

All Glory to God | Syracuse ‘23
1f34a.png

I've been following him for months...about time.
Drew goes to Malvern Prep. That is the alma mater of Ryan Nassib.

Listed at 6'2 207 pounds.

Good arm, good size, is reasonably athletic. Surprised he didn't get more love from other schools. Had offers from Fordham, Georgetown and Brown.

Like Ryan, grades are not going to be a problem.

Good arm, good size, is reasonably athletic. Surprised he didn't get more love from other schools. Had offers from Fordham, Georgetown and Brown.

As PWOs go -- not a bad prospect. We've had good luck bringing in quality walk-on QBs.

Fantastic news, welcome to Syracuse University Football young Mr. Gunther. Go Orange!!!!!

Malvern is a good program, so I'm glad to get him for that reason. Keep the connection going.

The Post-Standard article said the recruiters felt that he lacked "elite arm strength", so maybe the long throws to the flats and deep throws don't have enough zip, yet. That's what limited the P5 offers.

But we seem to have elite S&C going on, so this is great. That's 2 PWO's who play QB for us. No scholarships burned, and we have some depth. Nice pick up!

Malvern is a good program, so I'm glad to get him for that reason. Keep the connection going.

The Post-Standard article said the recruiters felt that he lacked "elite arm strength", so maybe the long throws to the flats and deep throws don't have enough zip, yet. That's what limited the P5 offers.

But we seem to have elite S&C going on, so this is great. That's 2 PWO's who play QB for us. No scholarships burned, and we have some depth. Nice pick up!
I'm not good at analyzing mechanics, but I think he has good arm strength. On several of his throws, he seems to let his right foot follow his arm and throws off of that foot. I think this would cut down on the velocity.

Is Clayton Welch still considered a PWO? Being the backup I thought he was already on scholarship.

Is Clayton Welch still considered a PWO? Being the backup I thought he was already on scholarship.

Believe so.

Not sure he's still the backup, with Culpepper having moved back to QB [but I hear that similar to Z. Mahoney, Welch is "better" than a typical walk on -- and with much better size than Mahoney, too].

I always thought that Welch was on scholarship, but I don't follow these things as closely as a lot of other guys on the football board.

I'm not good at analyzing mechanics, but I think he has good arm strength. On several of his throws, he seems to let his right foot follow his arm and throws off of that foot. I think this would cut down on the velocity.

He threw that slant very well in the clip. But it was the kind of pass that any kid who wants to play QB in college should make. It was only like a 15 yard pass. But it looked good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom