Class of 2019 - QB Dwan Mathis (MI) Verbal to MSU/Offered | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 QB Dwan Mathis (MI) Verbal to MSU/Offered

This would be my hope as our next QB. Likely going to start early on while Daniels is still coming back from injury. Reports have been real positive and he's going to gain SEC experience. They have Carson Beck coming in this year and then 5 star Brock Vandagriff next year. Not a lot of reason to stick around if Daniels takes the job and succeeds. He's from Michigan so the north won't bother him. Here's hoping...

This would be my hope as our next QB. Likely going to start early on while Daniels is still coming back from injury. Reports have been real positive and he's going to gain SEC experience. They have Carson Beck coming in this year and then 5 star Brock Vandagriff next year. Not a lot of reason to stick around if Daniels takes the job and succeeds. He's from Michigan so the north won't bother him. Here's hoping...
And he just hit the portal.

They were hyping him up big time before the season and then gave him about a half of 1 game. Admittedly he didn't look good but that's brutal. Wouldn't have to worry about a quick hook at Cuse!

Even though he didn't look great he looked pretty good to me. This is a no brainer and would be a home run. He is 6'6" athletic 4 star QB that has 4 years of eligibility left and was good enough to play some this year for Georgia. Yes please.

Edit: OK maybe not home run, but would be a very smart addition. A stand up double?

Last edited:
Even though he didn't look great he looked pretty good to me. This is a no brainer and would be a home run. He is 6'6" athletic 4 star QB that has 4 years of eligibility left and was good enough to play some this year for Georgia. Yes please.

Edit: OK maybe not home run, but would be a very smart addition. A stand up double?

Pass, this kid is terrible.

I don't know anything about this kid other than he's a redshirt freshman and former elite 11 QB. Why is he terrible?

ive seen him play ... pass

Half a game?
He started the first game against Arkansas (played a couple series) and then was benched. He came in the 2nd half against Florida when UGAs walk-in QB hit his max ability and they needed to find someone else (word is Daniels wasn’t available at the time).
The kid had brain surgery last year and it was a good story going into the season with UGA fans were high on him going into the season. In the pre-season, the word is that he beat out the Wake transfer (Newman???) who was being hyped up in the offseason as a stud (Newman later opted out and declared). However, Mathis didn’t look good at all during the games (almost couldn’t hit the side of the barn if his life depended on it).
He was supposed to go to Ohio St, but switched his commitment when Fields transferred from UGA to Ohio St

I think he will be hit or miss. It does sound like he has great talent, but I wonder if nerves or something got to him

He started the first game against Arkansas (played a couple series) and then was benched. He came in the 2nd half against Florida when UGAs walk-in QB hit his max ability and they needed to find someone else (word is Daniels wasn’t available at the time).
The kid had brain surgery last year and it was a good story going into the season with UGA fans were high on him going into the season. In the pre-season, the word is that he beat out the Wake transfer (Newman???) who was being hyped up in the offseason as a stud (Newman later opted out and declared). However, Mathis didn’t look good at all during the games (almost couldn’t hit the side of the barn if his life depended on it).
He was supposed to go to Ohio St, but switched his commitment when Fields transferred from UGA to Ohio St

I think he will be hit or miss. It does sound like he has great talent, but I wonder if nerves or something got to him

he is not accurate enough to be a high level D1 QB it’s like watching Culpepper with better scrambling ability

he is not accurate enough to be a high level D1 QB it’s like watching Culpepper with better scrambling ability
don't disagree he hasn't been accurate in games. however, he is an elite 11 qb out of high school (I believe) and UGA followers said he likely beat out Newman during pre-season, which is why Newman opted out. So he must be decent. Like i said, could be nerves or something come game time.

don't disagree he hasn't been accurate in games. however, he is an elite 11 qb out of high school (I believe) and UGA followers said he likely beat out Newman during pre-season, which is why Newman opted out. So he must be decent. Like i said, could be nerves or something come game time.
Newman was banged up which wasn’t made known. If healthy he would’ve been ahead of Mathis. I live 20 mins from Athens and heard this from a few folks. Newman likely would’ve missed half the season so the opt out (much like Cisco) was the route he took.

So that must seal the deal Russo is definitely leaving Temple. Russo is the transfer QB I would go try and sign.

Last edited:
There's a pretty big name out there that's a possibility.
JonStewart.gif