Class of 2020 - QB Greg "Deuce" Spann II (FL) Committed to Illinois | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Greg "Deuce" Spann II (FL) Committed to Illinois

When I look at Alabama, OSU (by the way where did LSU get their QB?) and Clemson I see 3 schools that compete for national Championships every year. Why did Fortin leave UNC? He was beat out for the starting position.
Maybe he didn't like Mack Brown.

When I look at Alabama, OSU (by the way where did LSU get their QB?) and Clemson I see 3 schools that compete for national Championships every year. Why did Fortin leave UNC? He was beat out for the starting position.

Fortin left largely because of the coaching scheme.

I think Dungey is just one of those ultra competitive young men who probably was his own competition.
Perhaps. I loved Dungey. Loved. While he’s a folk hero locally, he’s not superhuman.

Let’s look at Dungey’s combined stats the week AFTER DeVito played a lot (FSU, UNC/Hero, ND):

Dungey (UConn, NCSU, at BC)
69-for-99 (70%)
1,059 yards (353 ypg)
8 TD/1 INT
142 yards rushing
7 TD running

Gimme 11 games of that and he earns a trip to NYC for the Heisman ceremony.

Perhaps. I loved Dungey. Loved. While he’s a folk hero locally, he’s not superhuman.

Let’s look at Dungey’s combined stats the week AFTER DeVito played a lot (FSU, UNC/Hero, ND):

Dungey (UConn, NCSU, at BC)
69-for-99 (70%)
1,059 yards (353 ypg)
8 TD/1 INT
142 yards rushing
7 TD running

Gimme 11 games of that and he earns a trip to NYC for the Heisman ceremony.
Did you just say that Dungey wasn't superhuman...bite your tongue!!

Way back when this was the guy I was hoping we could reel in. Oh well. Good luck to the young man.

Don’t know how big the possibility is yet, but there’s possible interest in a transfer.
77D5FE24-E222-4FD5-B18C-0D2859609C34.gif

- Committed to Illinois on Dec. 13, 2019
- Announce transfer to Syracuse on Dec. 13, 2020???

He was not one of the 4 QBs on their roster to throw a pass this year, but maybe a year learning the system here and he'd be ready to go. Probably unlikely but fun to speculate.

I would prolly take him, just worry that he might not be backup ready for next year. I like the idea of getting a QB that can backup TD next year, then start for a year or two then pass the reigns to Lamson. Morgan would be another backup/spot starter

- Committed to Illinois on Dec. 13, 2019
- Announce transfer to Syracuse on Dec. 13, 2020???

He was not one of the 4 QBs on their roster to throw a pass this year, but maybe a year learning the system here and he'd be ready to go. Probably unlikely but fun to speculate.
If he wasn’t able to crack the 4-deep at Illinois, what gives you the sense he could come here and factor in the 2-deep right out of the box?

Got a little more info from one of my contacts tonight.

Lovie Smith getting fired is a big deal here. A transfer is not 100% expected as of yet, but “staying at Illinois would be a surprise right now”.

Interest could be one sided but that’s TBD. (I’m not saying which side in public, out of respect for the person who’s giving me the info).

If he wasn’t able to crack the 4-deep at Illinois, what gives you the sense he could come here and factor in the 2-deep right out of the box?

I'm not saying he would be. I didn't watch 1 snap of Illinois this fall so I have no idea how their offense fits with his style. All I know is he would have spent this year learning a college-level offense with college coaching. Next year, in his transfer year, he'd learn more knowledge from more college coaching. Maybe "ready to go" gave the wrong impression, I meant that more as he would be a competitor for the QB spot 2 years down the line when he would most likely be eligible to play. If he were to transfer now, that's 1.5 years of learning the offense and developing. And after Devito is gone, from what we saw this fall, it's not like we have a ton of great QBs to choose from for the 2-deep...

I'm not saying he would be. I didn't watch 1 snap of Illinois this fall so I have no idea how their offense fits with his style. All I know is he would have spent this year learning a college-level offense with college coaching. Next year, in his transfer year, he'd learn more knowledge from more college coaching. Maybe "ready to go" gave the wrong impression, I meant that more as he would be a competitor for the QB spot 2 years down the line when he would most likely be eligible to play. If he were to transfer now, that's 1.5 years of learning the offense and developing. And after Devito is gone, from what we saw this fall, it's not like we have a ton of great QBs to choose from for the 2-deep...

To be fair, he will be available as soon as he steps on campus wherever he ends up with the new transfer rules.

however, if he transfers to Cuse he likely will not see the field until the 2022 season

To be fair, he will be available as soon as he steps on campus wherever he ends up with the new transfer rules.

however, if he transfers to Cuse he likely will not see the field until the 2022 season
I was under the impression that the 1-time transfer without penalty year was still just a proposal and needed to be voted on (NCAA's One-Time Transfer Waiver Tabled Until At Least 2021-22). If that has changed, my bad on missing that and that would change my outlook a bit!