Class of 2017 - QB Hendon Hooker (NC) Transferred from Va Tech to Tennessee | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 QB Hendon Hooker (NC) Transferred from Va Tech to Tennessee

I saw he was also recently offered a basketball scholarship by North Carolina A&T.

If we wind up bringing him in, he could also provide some guard depth for Jimmy B potentially.

I'll be curious to see if we bring in 1 or 2 QBs in 2017. I have to think the preference is: 1A Hill, 1B Coan, 2 Hooker

bring in 10 qb's so we can finally have a chance at a solid one-

from what we saw last year along with 2 big projects in the last class = zero

I don't think I'd refer to Dungey and Womack as "big projects." This isn't Matt Hale we're talking about. They're both good looking prospects.

I don't think I'd refer to Dungey and Womack as "big projects." This isn't Matt Hale we're talking about. They're both good looking prospects.
So true as these two kids films looked awsome

Hendon is another prospect I'm familiar with and his recruitment is picking up steam by the day. He is also a pretty talented basketball player who may be interested in playing both sports in college. His upside is easy to see as he continues to grow and develop in both sports.

"Hooker, while young, showed a lot of promise at the event. He had some handle in the open court, showed ability attacking the basket, and touch from beyond the arc. We are very eager to see Hooker grow as he is trending as one of the best players in the state of North Carolina, for his class." http://www.phenomhoopreport.com/hoops-column-brings-hendon-hooker-nc-top-80/

Hendon is another prospect I'm familiar with and his recruitment is picking up steam by the day. He is also a pretty talented basketball player who may be interested in playing both sports in college. His upside is easy to see as he continues to grow and develop in both sports.

"Hooker, while young, showed a lot of promise at the event. He had some handle in the open court, showed ability attacking the basket, and touch from beyond the arc. We are very eager to see Hooker grow as he is trending as one of the best players in the state of North Carolina, for his class." http://www.phenomhoopreport.com/hoops-column-brings-hendon-hooker-nc-top-80/
If only we had a high quality basketball program that was going to be short of schollies for a few years and needing high quality walk-on's. Oh wait..

Hendon Hooker, QB, junior, Dudley: At 6 feet 4, 190 pounds, Hooker has the arm and the mobility to be a big-time college recruit. He already has offers from Clemson, East Carolina and Syracuse, and if he continues to progress this year the son of former N.C. A&T standout Alan Hooker will have plenty of other options.

http://www.greensboro.com/sports/hs...cle_0dbb7cb3-07bd-5499-8053-a0b32ab8dd7e.html

GREENSBORO —
It was probably the lowest point in the history of the storied Dudley football program. The Panthers had just finished an unbeaten regular season and were preparing to defend their 2013 Class 4-A state championship when they got the news.

Dudley had been disqualified from the 2014 playoffs because of rules violations regarding the use of junior varsity players on the varsity team. It was hardest for the Panthers’ seniors, whose high school careers ended not on the field but on a conference call after the school’s appeal to be allowed to participate in the postseason was denied.

“It was a low point,” coach Steven Davis said, “but we didn’t dwell on that low point.”

Instead, his players looked to this season, which starts Friday night at Carver .

“We got back in the weight room the next day after it happened,” senior defensive back Simeon Gatling said. “We saw it as a time to get bigger, stronger and faster for the next year. It’s made us a better program and team.”

It wasn’t easy, but Curtis McMillan, the Panthers’ strength and conditioning coach, was impressed with the way the players handled themselves.

“They really could have fallen apart and been mad at the whole world,” said McMillan, the man the players respectfully call “Coach Mac.” “They didn’t do that because our leaders — especially (quarterback) Hendon Hooker, who’s not even a senior — never let them develop that mindset. It was Hooker, (running back) Connell Young, all of them. They just went into that weight room and started working.”

“Obviously, the seniors had a tough time, ... but we had another year and wanted to come back and win it for them,” Gatling said.

“There was a chip on our shoulders,” added Young.

Another Dudley player whose leadership was instrumental in getting the focus onto this season, Davis said, is senior defensive lineman Anaz Morehead .

“Once we started getting into the weight room, we started buying in, like Coach Mac says, and getting ready for the next year,” Morehead said.

One thing that helped Dudley move on was the way the staff handled it.

“Our kids are comfortable knowing that they succeeded on the field, and it was adults who diminished everything they achieved,” McMillan said. “As adults, we’re sorry for that, we really are.”

But the coaches never dwelled on the way the 2014 season ended.

“We didn’t use that to motivate them,” Davis said. “Since I came here in ’01 from Page as an assistant, the focus was to build a program. Once you build your program, the motivation is there year to year, not based on the past year. These guys know that their legacy will be based on what they do from the time they get here to the time they leave, not on what happened in one year.”

And now it’s time for this Dudley team to build its own legacy. The pieces are in place, with Hooker, Gatling and Young among the players who already have offers from Power Five conference schools.

“I’m not going to lie, we need to work on our execution and be more disciplined,” Gatling said, “but we’re as talented as any team that’s come through here in the past 10 years.”

“We’re very ready,” Young added. “We’re way more athletic and we’re stronger than last year. We’re smarter, and we’re going to bring some heat this year.”

http://www.greensboro.com/dudley-carver-football/article_e3b462b7-1d09-5129-a2d2-41e9664fee44.html

WINSTON-SALEM —
Quarterback Hendon Hooker and his Dudley teammates proved to be impolite guests Friday night, as the Panthers dismantled Carver 42-7 in a football season opener.

Hooker accounted for four of the Panthers’ first-half touchdowns, three through the air and one on the ground as the highly touted quarterback overwhelmed the Carver defense.

“I just made my correct reads and listened to my coaches,” Hooker said. “It felt great to get out with my brothers in this new season and just do what we do.”

Dudley took the ball to open the contest and landed on the scoreboard 48 seconds later courtesy of a 38-yard Hooker strike to Brandon Person-Boyd. After Carver was unable to generate any offense in their first possession, Dudley marched the ball methodically down the field and capped the drive with a 10-yard Ezra Perkins touchdown.

Panthers head coach Steven Davis was pleased with the first outing of his powerful team.

“Great effort tonight,” he said. “The guys gave a whole lot of effort. That’s what we were looking for tonight, because you usually have a lot of penalties in the first game, a lot of mistakes, but the effort was there and we can make corrections off of mistakes.”

After Hooker’s rushing touchdown with 10:51 left in the second quarter made the score 20-0, the rout was on. The Carver sideline was a mess, with teammates screaming and imploring each other to get in the game. An 80-yard touchdown pass to Jayden Maynor squelched any energy on the Carver sideline, though, as the Panthers took a 26-0 lead.

Things went from bad to worse for the Yellow Jackets in the second quarter, when quarterback Germane Crowell Jr. dislocated his shoulder and was lost for the game. His replacement, junior Elijah McRae, threw a 68-yard touchdown pass for Carver’s only touchdown.

No. 2 Dudley 6 28 0 8 — 42
Carver 0 7 0 0 — 7
DHS — TD Brandon Person-Boyd 39 pass Hendon Hooker (run failed)., 1st

DHS — TD Hooker 24 run (run failed)., 2nd

DHS — TD Jayden Maynor 83 pass from Hooker (Maynor run)., 2nd

CHS — TD Kajuan Jackson 68 pass from Elijah McRae (John Lobo kick)., 2nd

DHS — TD Connell Young 63 pass from Hooker (Maynor run)., 2nd

DHS — TD Ezra Perkins 2 run (run failed)., 2nd

DHS — TD Adrian Chapman 12 run (Person-Boyd pass from Hooker)., 4th

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads